Gransnet forums

Health

Ailing mother in law/end of life decisions

(65 Posts)
Katek Wed 01-Oct-14 12:44:47

My MIL is a very sick lady, her kidney function is in single figures, she's on dialysis 3 times a week. She's shrunk over past 2 years from a good size 16 to somewhere between a 6/8. She can't eat because she's always nauseous and is existing on fortesip drinks and cheese/crackers. She has blockages in her leg arteries, her feet are inflamed and swollen and she has infected toes. Hospital can't get a proper fistula in so she's being dialysed through a chest line. She's had multiple infections requiring intravenous antibiotics and now requires help to get to bathroom/personal care. She's been in/out of hospital virtually weekly for past few months with one problem or another the most recent being collapsing after dialysis as her bp drops so low. Last week they used cpr to resuscitate her after a collapse as they couldn't find a pulse and she ended up in CCU overnight as they weren't sure if she'd arrested (she hadn't). She's now on morphine for pain at cpr site. She's bruised from top to bottom....great big black and blue horrific looking bruises. They had to get doc in from neonatal ICU to get cannula in her hand for her antibiotics as her veins are collapsing all over the place. She takes more medication in a day than she does food. My FIL still thinks she'll get home with support but medics are saying that treatment is not sustainable. She doesn't have a DNR in place...staff are starting to gently mention that perhaps she has to look at making some decisions but she won't hear of it. Family are in turmoil-what do we do? What can we do?

HildaW Fri 03-Oct-14 11:42:18

Katek....my heart goes out to you.

Mishap Fri 03-Oct-14 17:34:55

Thinking of you and all your family in this sad situation.

As long as your MIL has mental capacity the decisions are all hers to make.

Katek Fri 03-Oct-14 17:34:59

Well, we've had the conversation. Docs insisted on having it with my oh before everyone else got here as MIL deteriorated very suddenly. She was very, very distressed but settled down a little when my husband sat with her. Upshot is that all treatment other than palliative medication has been removed. She's had morphine and is much calmer and more lucid. The panic has gone. Of course medics can't put time scale on things but hope that she will still be with us on Monday when she is going to be taken home if possible. GD is district charge nurse and has offered to nurse her at home until the end. A wonderfully generous and loving offer that has made her grandad weep even more. I have to admit I'm relieved in many ways that the decision has been made, it somehow 'feels' right/better. We will have to return north tonight (oh does not have his cardiac meds) but are on standby for rapid return.

HildaW Fri 03-Oct-14 17:59:08

Katek, Am so pleased that there seems to be a plan that will help matters a lot. Wonderful that she just might be at home for a little while.
You sound calmer too, it must be such a drain on you all. All the best to you and you family.

HollyDaze Fri 03-Oct-14 18:05:32

I'm also pleased to hear your news Katek, it must be a weight off your mind, it's so hard for those of us that don't deal with this day in and day out to know what is the best thing to do. The doctors have removed that worry from you now so you can concentrate on being there for your MiL when she, and the rest of the family, need you. As HildaW has said, this posting from you does sound much calmer, you sounded so stressed in your other postings (which is understandable).

That is such a lovely offer from your GD, what a kind, caring person she is - you must be very proud of her.

merlotgran Fri 03-Oct-14 18:13:52

This sounds so similar to my mother's end of life, Katek. The panic and anxiety is very difficult for relatives to deal with and it's a huge relief when the right medication means you are caring for somebody who is calm and more lucid.

It will be a huge comfort for your MIL to know she is being nursed by your GD. A wonderful example of love and true compassion.

Mishap Fri 03-Oct-14 18:30:57

Well done that GD - what a relief for you all to know that MIL is now more comfortable and has the possibility of being at home at the end with the loving and professional care of a family member.

Katek Sun 05-Oct-14 22:52:37

Just to update you all...MIL is slipping further away each day. We're hoping to bring her home tomorrow if docs give ok for travel. Everything seems very calm now.

durhamjen Sun 05-Oct-14 23:02:25

There's no reason why they should not let her go home if everything is in place. She'll be much better off at home, as will all of you. As she is refusing medication, there is no point in them keeping her there.
Good luck, Katek.
My husband died at home, and it is much better than being in hospital.

Katek Wed 08-Oct-14 09:15:42

Mother in law passed away late last night after a 5 day vigil. A merciful release.

merlotgran Wed 08-Oct-14 09:19:03

So sorry to hear you news, Katek. As you say, it's a merciful release but still awfully sad for you and your family. flowers

Marmight Wed 08-Oct-14 09:41:55

Katek flowers

kittylester Wed 08-Oct-14 09:47:41

Condolences Kate flowers.

Granny23 Wed 08-Oct-14 09:55:33

Katek thank you for letting us know. Many of us have been 'keeping vigil' too from afar. Glad her last days were calm and peaceful. More flowers and hugs.

whenim64 Wed 08-Oct-14 10:26:00

Condolences to you and your family, KateK flowers

Anya Wed 08-Oct-14 10:34:26

Kate flowers

Nonnie Wed 08-Oct-14 10:45:44

Been too busy to visit GN recently so only just seen this thread. All I can do is give you my condolences Kate and to FiL too. flowers

HildaW Wed 08-Oct-14 10:54:59

Katek, my condolences to you and your family.

Ariadne Wed 08-Oct-14 11:52:01

I too am glad to hear that all was peaceful at the end, Kate. I know you will still have a lot to cope with, but you can be reassured in your mind that you did all you could. May you have the peace of mind you so deserve. flowers

Galen Wed 08-Oct-14 11:56:34

flowers

Mishap Wed 08-Oct-14 12:26:25

What a relief that she had a peaceful end.

MiniMouse Wed 08-Oct-14 12:44:25

flowers

tiggypiro Wed 08-Oct-14 12:44:56

flowers

Faye Wed 08-Oct-14 12:57:52

Sending my condolences katek. flowers

grannyactivist Wed 08-Oct-14 13:11:30

katek, my condolences, but also glad that the end was peaceful. flowers