Gransnet forums

Health

What do we want from our NHS and how should we pay for it.

(86 Posts)
whitewave Wed 19-Nov-14 14:37:03

Not sure if this will take off but I thought I would give it a go.

Thought it would be a good idea if we got our thinking caps together and thrashed out all the issues relating to the NHS. There will be some of you with real experience as employees and users and of course the rest of us as just users and of course we will all be paying for it one way or another.

It would be a good idea to keep politics out of it so that it doesn't degenerate into a slanging match between sides, but of course if we ever reach some glorious conclusion it may help to point the way as to which of the parties can deliver what we want.

My first question to those in the know is can you give me an outline of the structure of the NHS and how this flows?

papaoscar Sun 23-Nov-14 20:37:16

Thank goodness the fires of protest about the NHS have been lit and are illuminating some of the darker corners of this governments dodgy conduct towards it. Long may they burn and expose the danger the NHS faces in the hands of the Cameron/Clegg conspirators and their privatisation plans.

durhamjen Mon 24-Nov-14 00:13:51

I would like to know, papaoscar, what links newspaper proprietors have with healthcare companies. I wonder if there is any way to find out. Few newspapers have written as much about the NHs privatisation as the Guardian, yet it has been in the public domain.

papaoscar Mon 24-Nov-14 05:07:09

Could be some indicators here, Dj, of preparations and consequences:

www.forbes.com/sites/davechase/2012/02/09/healthcare-ceos-guide-to-avoiding-newspaper-industry-mistakes/

anniezzz09 Fri 28-Nov-14 09:55:11

This is a very interesting thread and I realise I have doubled up on it by starting a discussion called Disappearance of the NHS. Sorry about that. I posted in that thread just now a report from today's Guardian setting out what private companies have gained from NHS England over the last financial year. Here it is again.

www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/27/nhs-england-millions-pounds-private-companies

It's not how I feel NHS money should be being spent. I agree it's better to try and not get too political because then discussions can get quite heated but there are some really big questions here for us as a society. It's all got so complicated. I'm finding that most people have no idea what is going on and usually it's those who are ill who are the ones who know, which is a bit sad to say the least.

durhamjen Sat 13-Dec-14 13:06:17

Lockheed Martin have pulled out of negotiations over the NHS, thanks to a petition by Sumofus. It works.

Ana Sat 13-Dec-14 13:22:59

I'm very surprised that such a large, powerful organisation would be swayed by an online petition.

Eloethan Sun 14-Dec-14 16:37:45

Ana These extracts from the 38 Degrees website strongly suggest that petitions and campaigns are influential:

• In July, 38 Degrees members swarmed on Downing Street and stopped Syngenta’s attempt to lift an EU-wide ban on bee-killing pesticides.

• In August, together we took on retail giant Matalan with a huge petition, emails and calls to its managers ...... Eventually Matalan coughed up £60,000 for the compensation fund of the victims of the Rana Plaza factory collapse in Bangladesh.

• In November, in just 24 hours a whopping 150,000 of us signed a petition calling the government not to sell off our forests. We helped organisations like Save our Woods push the government to enshrine protection of our forests in law.

•Chris and the Dorset Hospital Campaign saved their local hospital lab from privatisation

• a partnership campaign with Women’s Aid pushed the government to commit £10m to keep women’s refuges open.

Of course, there is no guarantee that some of these issues will not be resurrected again once the limelight is off them, so there is no room for complacency.

durhamjen Tue 16-Dec-14 23:20:53

Here's some other good news, but not for Cameron and Hunt.

nhap.org/voters-odds-nhs-cameron-hunt-constituencies/

Clive Peedell is standing against Cameron, and Louise Irving against Hunt.

Ana Tue 16-Dec-14 23:38:29

Whoopee!

anniezzz09 Wed 17-Dec-14 10:00:19

I think the NHA and UKIP between them are going to provide quite an upset in this coming election. Our local GPs are fielding an NHA candidate and are strongly against privatization and TTIP being allowed to have any influence over the NHS.