Gransnet forums

Health

brittle, flakey weak nails

(27 Posts)
moonbeames Sun 09-Aug-15 11:05:23

I have had awful nails since I can remember. Lately they have become even worse they are very brittle, flakey and weak. I haven't worn any nail polish for years even on special occasions as the remover makes my nails even dryer. Does anyone know some special remedy or hints that could help strengthen my fingernails. I would be grateful for any advice, I have tried many potions and lotions from shops to no avail.

KatyK Sun 09-Aug-15 11:42:43

Try Rimmel nail nurse. It strengthened my nails. It takes a couple of weeks. I apply it then remove it once every few days. It worked for me.

Frannygranny Sun 09-Aug-15 11:56:52

I use Sally Hansen Nailgrowth Miracle in the gold bottle. I apply it for two days then take it off on the third. I wait a day and then reapply. I also take a Skin, Hair and Nails tablet (I buy mine from Sainsburys) every day and have found using both of these products my nails have strengthened.

harrigran Sun 09-Aug-15 11:56:58

I use Nailoid results night time nail strengthening mask. The blurb on the tube promises softens and moisturises cuticles, reduces cracking and splitting, nourishes and strengthens. It works for me but only if I use it on a daily basis.

Teetime Sun 09-Aug-15 12:13:40

As has been suggested a number of cosmetic solutions are available but perhaps you also may have a vitamin/mineral deficiency. I would get that checked out as well as looking at your general handcare e.g. do you put your hands in hard solutions like bleach.

annodomini Sun 09-Aug-15 12:29:39

Nailtiques Formula 2 - it worked wonders for my splitting and flaking nails.

henetha Sun 09-Aug-15 13:46:06

I had nails like yours, moonbeames, but Avon Nail Experts for brittle and peeling nails has made a huge improvement.

NfkDumpling Sun 09-Aug-15 13:49:35

Argon oil (neat from Holland and Barrett) helped mine - and also works wonders on cuticles and skin generally. I bought it in the first place on the recommendation of my chiropodist for my grotty toe nails!

henetha Sun 09-Aug-15 13:56:49

I wonder if that Argon oil would help with my painfully ingrowing toenail,
NfkDumpling. I might try it. My toenails are a disgrace.....

sherish Sun 09-Aug-15 14:07:14

After eight months of weekly chemotherapy my nails aren't too bad. A side effect is apparently the nails lifting from the nail bed. I think I've got away with this because I used OPI Nail Envy oil. I bought it from Ebay because it can be quite expensive. It lasts a long time and I can only think it's this I have to thank. I'm going to continue using it now the chemo has finished.

soontobe Sun 09-Aug-15 14:13:41

I agree with Teetime re seeing the doctor.

Meanwhile you could try eggs or jelly. Eggs works for me. Jelly works for somebody I know.

loopylou Sun 09-Aug-15 16:45:50

Apply oil to them, doesn't matter which one (I use almond or olive or whatever) because I think it's due to lack of moisture.
Mine were dreadful but now I can't believe how good they are grin

That and Vaseline 'Hand and Stronger Nails' hand cream.

moonbeames Mon 10-Aug-15 08:09:01

thank you all so much for your very quick replies. Yes, I will mention my awful nails to the doctor next time I go. I have lacked iron all my life. I wear rubber gloves when washing up etc. I will try your suggestions and I hope I get some improvement. I remember when I was younger I went onto a diet that included lots of jelly, and they improved heaps, so that might be an idea as well. I will let you know how I go, I don't expect results for some weeks. (what a good forum, so quick!!)

Liz46 Mon 10-Aug-15 08:42:56

Many years ago I read that MSM is good for nails. I started taking it and it worked. My nails used to break off and flake so much, it could become painful. After some time I stopped taking MSM as my nails were quite good but then they deteriorated so I started to take it again. I worry a bit about taking MSM for so long. I think it is supposed to be good for joints too.

Phoebes Sat 15-Aug-15 15:55:48

My nails were dreadful until a beautician recommended solar oil which worked wonders. It's quite expensive, but it certainly works. However, since then I have discovered that any oil, rubbed in at night, will improve flaky, brittle nails. I get mine from Aldi now.

moonbeames Sun 16-Aug-15 10:44:51

Just an update on my awful flakey brittle nails. I have been rubbing in Revitanail (or similar) oil every night onto my nails and cuticles. It is just starting to make a bit of a difference. Its early days now just about a week but I can see an improvement. I am sure that it will take a few weeks or months to see any marked difference but I am hoping. It would be just great to have lovely nails. Thanks everyone!! Now what about face wrinkles!!! LOL.

J52 Sun 16-Aug-15 11:02:36

Oil is the way to go! Oil for nails, Waitrose Pure oil or Boots bio oil for face , and Argon oil for hair!

X

Coolgran65 Sun 16-Aug-15 11:10:28

The only real cure for a painful ingrowing toenail is surgery. Get the side of the nail taken away and kill that small portion of the nail bed. I've had it done on two nails and well worth it. Paid for one privately, the second was referred by my doctor and was on the nhs. Toe bandaged for a week or so. Pain is ok, paracetamol for a day or two but nothing like as sore as the in growing toenail itself. And the bliss of wearing shoes without pain is a joy forever.smile

Nonnie Sun 16-Aug-15 12:11:07

This thread reminded me I had a bottle of something to strengthen nails in the cupboard so got it out last night. When I read the leaflet I couldn't believe anyone goes to all the trouble suggested. It mentioned all sorts of products including 3 different types of oils. If I did all that, even once a week, I would feel the need to get a life! And that is just nails, what about the rest of me? I painted the stuff on my nails and that was it.

Candelle Sun 16-Aug-15 12:29:20

I have been very dilatory regarding dealing with my (quite!) late Mother's effects. However, trawling through, I came across a small bottle labelled 'nail hardener'.

Thinking this was just what I needed with my flaky, splitty (is there such a word?) nails, I sloshed it on. Only then did I read the label... 'formaldehyde'. Oops.

Checking on the internet I see that formaldehyde is used in many cosmetics/hair products and that although there are known risks, the small amounts used are not thought to pose a risk if... with regard to nail products, they are 5% or less. Well, the small bottle I used has no such annotation so I am hoping I have not just done myself a mischief, wanting to be beautiful!

I doubt very much if anyone else has a product such as this, still knocking around but if you do, may I suggest it be binned immediately!

Oh, the nails are a bit stronger.......

rubysong Sun 16-Aug-15 12:58:53

DS2 and his GF have both had their big toe nails removed. Not a strange bonding ritual but the result of ingrown nails. A very strange coincidence. They don't seem to miss them much.

annodomini Sun 16-Aug-15 13:31:34

DS1 had his ingrown big toenail removed when he was about 14 and it grew back normal. In the past 30 years he has had no more problems. I lost a big toenail which came off when I was 15 when some fool dropped a bench on it. It took its time, but it did grow back again.

BlackeyedSusan Sat 29-Aug-15 01:34:40

Jelly babies. Apparently. According to dad. confused perhaps it was an excuse to eat jelly babies and prevent me eating his jelly babies?

<winces> at big toenail removal.

I have done that. under the cooker when I slipped on food that had leaked out of a freezer bag just after it had regrown after I took a chunk of it off on a suddenly unstuck stairgate twice.

I think the children may have learned a couple of new words, though I may have blamed their dad when ds repeated it,loudly, in the bank

Did you know that swearing has been shown to help you endure pain?

<whistles innocently>

Stansgran Sat 29-Aug-15 09:03:03

How do you regrow freezer bags?

Unique28 Tue 10-Jul-18 15:14:09

ppy