Gransnet forums

Health

Epilator and facial hair

(103 Posts)
Boatyard Tue 10-Jun-14 06:43:21

Anybody used an epilator on peach fuzz facial hair?

Charleygirl Thu 12-Jun-14 09:43:23

I think that threading lasts marginally longer than waxing. I live in London so I have a great choice of threaders. It costs £3 to have my eyebrows done.

Anne58 Thu 12-Jun-14 10:33:45

Living in rural Devon gives me the choice between the local salon or waiting until the sheep shearing teams are in the area! grin

rosesarered Thu 12-Jun-14 15:12:44

grin

rosesarered Thu 12-Jun-14 15:14:39

I can't contribute to this thread as I don't have any facial hair , but now have decided I want some, as this epilater thing sounds like fun.Is it used on legs?I do like waxed pins.

rosesarered Thu 12-Jun-14 15:16:01

Actually, just realised I do have facial hair..... eyebrows! Which I pluck into shape myself now and then.

upsydaisy Thu 12-Jun-14 22:31:47

Thanks Suzied and MariClaire. Ahhh that explains what they're doing in shopping centres behind those screens, I always wonder. I'm assuming waxing and threading is pretty much the same as plucking. Mine grow back within a couple of weeks of pulling them out. Can't decide whether to go to Doc's as I keep wondering if it's hormonal. Post menopausal now but menopause seemed very quick and painless with no hot flushes or anything. I'm only 52 and these great long whiskery hairs seem like they should belong to someone much older. I have far more than my mum and she's well into her 70's. Perhaps I should find a good beauty therapist and see what they think, whether it's normal or whether they think I might have a bit of a hormonal problem.

upsydaisy Thu 12-Jun-14 23:31:36

Well have just been on Amazon looking at facial epilators and tbh I'm perhaps being a bit of a drama queen, glad I didn't go to the Docs blush . Going off all the reviews it sounds like I am certainly not on my own, so guess I'll just have to suffer a bit of pain. No pain, no gain as they say wink

tigger Fri 13-Jun-14 11:03:20

I have suffered from facial hair since my twenties and tried I think almost every method from waxing to laser treatment. I have been tempted to buy the latest no hair product but it is expensive so have finally settled for an epi-lady which is sort of successful and saves money at the beautician. As an alternative I think threading is effective but hair grows back crooked. For those who are thinking of laser treatment, it is expensve and doesn't work on white hair.

adoradeny Thu 21-Aug-14 13:31:32

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Anne58 Thu 21-Aug-14 14:30:55

ADVERT!

Kit45 Mon 01-Jun-15 15:25:22

I’d recommend Karmin! ;)

KristinHunter Thu 18-Jun-15 15:41:01

I have a new epilator. I don't get that much ingrowns from them and I use it regularly, and I'm immune to the pain just like waxing. I like to wax however. I'll just epilate if don't have time.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 18-Jun-15 20:30:28

What does "pride must abide" mean? confused

Ana Thu 18-Jun-15 20:37:46

It means you have to endure a bit of pain to achieve the result you want, grooming-wise...smile

FlicketyB Thu 18-Jun-15 20:55:25

If I didn't have regular electrolysis I would have a beard to rival DH's, DD has much the same problem. I started having it about 30 years ago; first weekly then fortnightly, monthly etc. I now go every couple of months.

The upside is that I have a really thick luxuriant hair on my head, which I am duly grateful for when I see the hair of so many friends becoming really thin.

loopylou Thu 18-Jun-15 20:58:52

I'll happily epilate my legs but upper lip, no way.
I get it waxed along with eyebrows every 6 weeks or so.

I don't even have the guts to try my epilator on my upper lip shock

GrandmaKT Thu 18-Jun-15 22:23:05

I've had ILP hair removal at salons for hair on my upper lip and chin. It worked very well on my upper lip, but not so well on the chin, even after two series of treatment. Don't know why, I have dark hair. I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with the Phillips Lumea (which is an IPL system you can use at home). It's expensive, but if it works....

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 18-Jun-15 22:51:39

Oh! Like "pride must put up with". Like with that little chin hair removal thingie you recommended before (*Ana*). Chin hair is fine, but real courage required to tackle anything further up.

jeanie99 Sat 20-Jun-15 10:49:36

When my son was marrying almost 2 years ago I decided to have the few hairs above my lip removed.

It was painful to some degree but I was pleased that would be the last I saw of them.
BUT to my amazement almost all of the hairs grew back.

I now just pluck them out with tweezers it's quicker and less painful then epilation.

Maggiemaybe Sat 20-Jun-15 11:23:09

This is worth an 88p investment, which includes postage, IMHO. You certainly won't have lost a lot if it doesn't suit you:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004LNXA0Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I find it's really effective for the peach fuzz. It nips a bit, but isn't what you could call painful. When I was looking for the link today, I saw some negative reviews that don't seem to refer to this product at all. This gizmo doesn't have blades, and that's what they're complaining about. It's simply a flexible metal coil that grabs the little hairs and pulls them out. For the few dark hairs I have I just use the old tweezers.

charmingskin Wed 01-Jul-15 23:44:30

Thanks for the info! Great postsmile

ajanela Thu 02-Jul-15 16:03:58

I spent £1000 over a year on laser treatment without seeing any real improvement. Having had an epilady for my legs for a long time I tried the smaller head on my chin and it worked well. I wondered at not trying it before,

valleysgirl Thu 02-Jul-15 16:08:48

I once used a Braun epilator on my chin, and got a red rash which was more unsightly than the hairs!!

I use eyedrops for glaucoma, and one of the side effects is thicker coarser darker facial hair...ugh!! But as the Braun was a disaster (o.k. for legs though), I stick to tweezers, and have to check daily, which is a pain, especially as I need very good light, and the dark winter mornings are so annoying and make it so hard to see. I have no offspring living near me, so just put up with it, but can anyone recommend a gentle but effective epilator for sensitive skin?

I tried 1 session of laser treatment but it was extremely expensive and did not work at all.

Years ago, my local beauty/hairdressing college students used to do epilation and that was very helpful. But they stopped because "it's now out of fashion". Can we start a campaign to get epilation done in salons again?!!!

G.P.s seem to think the side effects don,t matter, and I am just a vain old woman being silly. When are GPs going to admit that quality of life matters as much as the length??!!

From Victoria Meldrew!!

pinkscorpio Thu 02-Jul-15 16:19:40

I have a lot of fine, soft, hair on my cheeks. I,d love to get rid of it but I'm scared it grows in stubbly. What do you thinkblush

fatfairy Thu 02-Jul-15 16:41:56

I had my legs waxed once - aaargh, the pain! I now shave with shaving cream - no issues at all. And I shave underarms as well, with a "moisturising" razor a recent improvement in comfort.

However, I've been having my eyebrows waxed for years, and it has never hurt - and I get a nice line too. In recent years I've added upper lip to the list - and that does hurt, especially the bit right under my nose. But it works, gives a smooth finish and lasts several weeks for me. Lasers, BTW, seemed to get very few hairs at each session, and they still grew back.