Gransnet forums

Health

cough and cold prevention

(54 Posts)
overthehill Sun 01-Feb-15 13:50:54

I am just about surfacing from the most debilitating cold with cough.

In some respects, I am quite healthy, but when a cold is about, I will catch it. I must have had 3 from about October.

The worst part for me is the cough, it is unrelenting, keeping me awake at night so I am permanently tired. I have coughed so much my ribs hurt now. I am wheezing on and off and go into fits of loud uncontrollable coughing.

This seems to be getting worse so I trying to think what I can do to prevent the cold in the first place.

I eat a good diet already, but I am thinking a juicer to get more veg and fruit into my body. Also possible going to yoga.

QUESTIONS:

Has anyone improved their immunity by juicing?
Has anyone improved their immunity by yoga?

Thank you very much

rosequartz Sun 01-Feb-15 14:03:40

Have you tried taking vitamin D - many people are deficient especially in this country, particularly further north?
Your GP can do a blood test (has he/she listened to your chest?)

Juicing may be a good way of getting some extra vitamins.

Mishap Sun 01-Feb-15 14:14:07

I think the only way to avoid coughs and colds in the winter is to hibernate and steer clear of others.

I take a multi-vitamin in the winter - whether it makes any difference or not I do not know, but at least I have tried.

I am sorry it has been a rubbish winter for you overthehill - it does seem that once you get laid low by one bug you become more vulnerable to the next one. Take heart - the snowdrops are out!

overthehill Sun 01-Feb-15 14:18:56

Thanks very much R&M.

I do take Vitamin D already, fat lot of good that has done. In fact I practically rattle with vitamins.

hildajenniJ Sun 01-Feb-15 14:22:42

Have you been to your GP? If you have had a cough for more than two weeks you should have it checked out. You may well have a chest infection. I once went with a troublesome cough, and if I had not had my 2 yr. old son with me he would have sent me straight to hospital as he said I was verging on pneumonia. I was given strong antibiotics and told to go to hospital if I wasn't feeling better in three days!! Fortunately I was on the road to recovery by then.
I once read that there are about 200 - 300 cold viruses circulating, and when you have had one you are immune to it. Therefore as you age, you ought to catch fewer colds. I may be lucky, but I think I've only had one cold in two years. I don't do anything special or take extra vitamins either.

crun Sun 01-Feb-15 15:04:05

For half my life I used to get coughs that lingered on for weeks and weeks after a cold, then I discovered that the cause was carrying on as normal while I had the cold. Nowadays, as soon as the cold gets past the sore throat stage I stay indoors in the warm. Problem solved.

Anya Sun 01-Feb-15 15:40:53

There's a nasty, hacking cough doing the rounds - some call it the 100 day cough. I know many people who've fallen victim to this including DH who has had it since November. I don't think there's much you can do. Eating more healthily will never go amiss but hopefully the advent of spring and warner weather will see the end of it.

KatyK Sun 01-Feb-15 15:41:39

I haven't had a cold, cough, sore throat or headache for over 30 years. Whenever I tell some people this I can see it in their faces that they don't quite believe me but it is true. I have no idea why this is (not that I am complaining). My DH rarely gets one either. We are not health food fanatics or anything like that and we don't take vitamins. We eat reasonably well and we do like to have an alcoholic drink or two most days. I was quite neglected as a child and didn't eat well at all. I had one cold after another then so maybe I have become immune, I don't know really. My poor DD is suffering badly at the moment with a terrible cold and cough. I have been to see her a couple of times but have not caught the cold. The luck of the draw?

tanith Sun 01-Feb-15 18:11:45

I am fastidious about hand washing if I've been out and about or to anyone's house other than my own... OH is the same and we both seem to avoid coughs and colds , I can't remember when I last had either.. I don't take vitamins but eat healthily .

Mishap Sun 01-Feb-15 18:18:27

I agree about the hand-washing - I always do it on return from the GP surgery or a hospital appointment, both prime places for picking up bugs!

You have been jolly lucky KatyK!!

Ana Sun 01-Feb-15 18:30:18

Same here with the hand-washing. I don't think I've had a cold for at least three years (touch wood!).

J52 Sun 01-Feb-15 18:37:26

DH, at a conference, heard a speaker from environmental health who said that handrails harbour more germs than anywhere else. I struggle to hold on to any handrail, even though for safety I should. x

Faye Sun 01-Feb-15 20:37:56

Try a juicer or blender and add ginger. I have noticed since I have bought my children juicers and now they also have blenders strong enough to crush almonds they don't keep getting colds. My DIL mentioned when I came to visit for Christmas the boys haven't had a cold for ages. These boys always had colds and so did my son, I believe it's the daily juices and/or smoothies that have helped. The other thing they have cut down on is dairy which is very mucas forming. They also live in Qld so get plenty of sunshine.

I believe adding a small piece of fresh ginger is one of the best things you can do? I seldom have had a cold since I was around twenty but I am extremely fussy about washing my hands.

yogagran Sun 01-Feb-15 22:37:09

A Nutribullet sounds better than either a juicer or blender (there's a separate thread on them) and much easier to clean. No idea whether they are effective or not.
Like others, I think frequent and thorough hand washing is probably the best way of avoiding bugs. I sometimes go round with a disinfectant wipe on door handles, loo handles etc if we've had snotty DGC around. I think handling change and paper money is germ ridden too. But just where do you draw the line confused
Forget yoga as a preventative though, you'll learn to be able to relax but it won't stop you catching anything

rosequartz Sun 01-Feb-15 22:57:39

Yes, handwashing - I am fastidious about that. They say that pens carry lots of germs - more than toilet flushes as we clean toilets frequently!

The cold virus can mutate so we could get a different version than one we had before.

DD juices ginger, apple and carrot and it is very nice.

I also think a trip to the GP might be a good idea if it hasn't cleared up by now, overthehill

grannykat Sun 01-Feb-15 23:08:49

I started four weeks ago with the dreaded cold and cough never felt that ill before. I spent four days in bed sleeping and sweating but still felt rubbish. I took antibiotics for seven days but they did nothing. Obviously this is a virus and not an infection so the tablets don't work. Have woke up today with no cough and feeling tons better so stick it out guys it does go eventually.

Juliette Sun 01-Feb-15 23:25:44

I had 'the cough that keeps on giving' a couple of years ago and was recommended Manuka Honey. I bought mine from Sainsburys, it's quite expensive compared to ordinary honey but was well worth it. Two teaspoons,straight from the jar as required was very soothing. Agree with other posters though, a visit to your GP might be a good idea. Hope you feel better soon.

durhamjen Sun 01-Feb-15 23:34:17

My grandchildren came round today, both with colds, one getting over it. When they had gone I dosed myself with Sambucol, the winter dose. I will have another one now, and more tomorrow, and hope I do not get it.

KatyK Mon 02-Feb-15 09:52:10

Mishap - yes I have been lucky cough and cold wise. Believe me I have had MANY other things to contend with!

JessM Mon 02-Feb-15 12:46:18

Juicing is very expensive and there is no evidence that it helps with anyone. I would only bother with it if you are looking after someone in a very delicate state and want to get some calories down them.
I agree - cod liver oil capsules to keep Vitamin D boosted - and get some sun in the summer. Most older women cover up and don't get even a light tan. Which is the best way to start the winter with good Vitamin D stores in your body.
Yoga is good for joints, muscles and stress - but no reason to think immune system.
There was a study that indicated that middle aged women who walked in the fresh air were more resistant to colds.
At this time of year with colds, flu and norovirus around being paranoid about hand hygiene a good idea. Good soapy hand wash before eating and after being out and about.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 02-Feb-15 13:43:19

I don't think it's got anything to do with diet, so long as you take in the minimum necessary nutrients. And we mostly do that anyway. Keeping warm, and staying indoors away from the cold air would probably work.

tanith Mon 02-Feb-15 14:07:44

jings what has keeping warm and staying indoors away from cold air got to do with catching a virus?

Hadn't heard about boosting Vit D though, I do make sure I get some sunshine exposure in the Summer too maybe that is helping me boost my immune system as well as the well being feeling it gives me.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 02-Feb-15 14:18:45

I believe - and I will always believe (no matter what the so-called experts say) (and other Gransnetters grin) - that getting chilled lowers your resistance. And then any of the bugs living harmlessly in your nose, get to take a hold. And you go down with your cold. smile

rosequartz Mon 02-Feb-15 14:31:58

It was reported the other week that getting cold allows the germs that are in your nose/throat anyway to invade your body. So jings is right - according to recent research anyway. They may change their minds by next week and tell us we all need to go and plunge naked into icy lakes.

Chicken soup made with proper chicken stock is supposed to be good as well.
Apologies if you are vegetarian in which case oranges or honey and lemon.

janeainsworth Mon 02-Feb-15 14:36:42

Good advice from jess as usual.
You don't have to get cold if you go outdoors, jingle. You just have to put plenty of warm clothes on. I can't bear staying in all day.
My theory is that the cold air stimulates nasal secretions and these help to remove the virus particles from sinuses and nasal passages.