Gransnet forums

House and home

Ovens - fan, fan-assisted, multi function???

(30 Posts)
tanith Wed 30-Nov-11 22:11:37

I have a Bosch multi-functional oven and I love.. the doors all come off for ease of cleaning , both ovens have grill facility and fan assist if you want it I think I use the fan more than any other setting., everything cooks so evenly with the fan assist on.. it also has a defrost setting . I've been really pleased with it.. and as you say no kneeling on the floor to clean ..

gracesmum Wed 30-Nov-11 21:43:53

Mine is a range with 4 ovens (2 can double as grills) and I use the fan oven more than the other "multifunction" but what is really useful is the slow oven which uses about the same as a light bulb(they say) and does wonderful casseroles like an electric slow cooker.
But in response to your title and original question - a clean oven is what I would really like.

amysnanna Wed 30-Nov-11 20:34:07

if you can afford it go for a good make multi-function. I like to have the option of fan or conventional oven. Mine is a Neff double oven that I have had 3 years and its great. It was top of the range at the time and I particularly like the easy glide shelf supports, makes basting heavy roasts easier. The doors come off easily for cleaning and the shelf supports too. Apparently they now make oven doors that slide away when you open them.

JessM Wed 30-Nov-11 20:25:41

We have a double oven (side by side kind with 6 gas hobs on top). it uses lots of electricity. I try to turn it off when cooking casseroles etc as it is quite well insulated and things will carry on cooking once they are really hot. Look at the energy rating which I guess will relate to how "leaky" they are when it comes to hot air. (Do ovens have energy ratings?)
It is a smeg and it is really smoky. I think i should have read the instruction booklet before using first time. And it fuses the electric circuit quite regularly sad

Rosiebee Wed 30-Nov-11 19:57:47

We're having a new kitchen fitted soon, which we're hoping will 'see us out'. I particularly wanted a built in double oven so that I'll no longer have to grovel on the floor when I baste my Sunday roast. I'll stick with gas for the hob but quality built in gas double ovens are really expensive. So we've decided to go with an electric oven but I'm mesmerised by the different types. Has anyone any advice? I've got no experience of fan or fan assisted ovens and so don't know of any advantages or disadvantages. Or if anyone can recommend a make of oven which they've found reliable, that would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Rosie smile