Gransnet forums

House and home

UPVC Double Glazing - any recommendations or warnings?

(71 Posts)
JessM Sun 13-Jan-13 09:31:54

We are having to replace some wooden double glazed doors. sad angry
I need to get quotes.
Has anyone got any recommendations for double glazing companies or are there any you have used that you would like to warn me about please.

annodomini Sat 13-Apr-13 16:50:51

I used Safestyle as well and the door and windows are excellent. A good price too, but I have had to tell them (or their associated company) very forcefully to stop ringing me up to ask me if I want new soffits. My house doesn't even have soffits, as I have told them dozens of times.

Enviousamerican Sat 13-Apr-13 17:05:42

Please excuse me for going off topic.It seems to be becoming a problem with me but I'm so full of questions.I was wondering about the bull nose glass I see in your homes.Its is just a decorative and privacy thing or is it a artisan thing? It's not something you see here but I like them.Is it usually just on pane in a window? Or door?

Nonu Sat 13-Apr-13 17:20:43

What is bull nose glass ?

smile

FlicketyB Sat 13-Apr-13 17:22:07

EV, it goes back to a time when it was not possible to make flat glass. Glass was blown and then cut and flattened in small sheets while still warm and pliable. When glass is blown there is a circular area at the end of the blown glass that is thicker and less clear than the other glass (think of the end of a balloon opposite the bit you blow in to). This was a waste product that people who couldn't afford decent glass put in their windows, or sometimes would reduce the price of glazing by using a mix of flat glass and 'bullseyes', as they were called.

Because of its cheapness it was usually used in cottages and small houses. In the first half of the 19th century there was a nostalgia among the urban upper and middle classes for some mythical country idyll they wanted to return to, cottages with thatched roofs and tiny windows and, of course, those bullseye windows. The majority of those suffering from this nostalgia couldn't afford a second home in the country but speculative builders, particularly in the 1930s, responded to it by incorporating cottage features into their new designs, timber framed semis, with a bit of bullseye glass installed into a window here and there.

Nonu Sat 13-Apr-13 17:29:19

Thanks Flick .

Got it .

My georgian house has not got that , mind you some of the panes are original and looking extremely thin.

numberplease Sat 13-Apr-13 17:34:04

Please excuse my ignorance, but what the heck are soffits?

Elegran Sat 13-Apr-13 17:39:20

enviousamerican Originally all glass was made was made by blowing a big bubble and then flattening it. The end bit was impossible to flatten completely.

Then the technique of making plate glass and rolling it out without blowing was invented, and shop window panes could be larger and cheaper. The bull's eyes became old-fashioned and "olde-worldy" and it is now mostly found either in genuinely old buildings or in ones want to give the impression of age, ot make a decorative statement.

Here is a link - Architectural glass

Elegran Sat 13-Apr-13 17:41:22

Snap, Flicketyb

Soffits are those vertical wooden planks at the eaves of the roof.

Enviousamerican Sat 13-Apr-13 17:43:13

Soffits are the overhang from the roof.Usually wooden.Here we usually have rain gutters on them.

numberplease Sat 13-Apr-13 17:57:05

Shows how thick I am, we`ve always called those the facia boards, so what are the facias then? Can`t you tell how little work we`ve had done on our house, lol!!

numberplease Sat 13-Apr-13 17:57:27

Fascias even!

annodomini Sat 13-Apr-13 17:59:43

The wooden surrounds are, I think, the fascia which Safestyle want me to replace with PVC but I have told them when to go. Soffits are the horizontal bit under the overhang of the eaves. Sometimes in the past they were made of asbestos.

Enviousamerican Sat 13-Apr-13 17:59:49

Number please,They might be the same thing in builder talk.

deserving Sun 14-Apr-13 12:22:02

Check them out. Some firms have been going since Ted Moult, and look like being here for a while. Whatever, ensure they are members of the Glass and Glazing federation,British plastics federation,Federation of master builders,Consumer protection association,Guild of master craftsmen,European builders federation, or as many of the above as possible.That the quality standard is BS570 and that they have public liability insurance. A certificate should be issued after completion,ie FENSA,CERTASS or British Standards Institution,to show that the work complies with the regulations.
Ask will they achieve a "u" value below2.0W/m2K, (the lower the "u" the better,Low"E" (glass, like Pilkington"K") a between glass gap size of 20mm. Are all seams fully welded? Will guarantees be in writing? ie glass type, making good soffits etc? Will they have equal site lines,gasket colours ,locks.
All uPVC frames are,not as mentioned, the same, the cross sectional areas vary some have more metal, and are stronger,and are better at supporting a wide window gap.
what are the guarantees Are you insurance backed,,how long are the units guaranteed for?( nothing worse than misted up units). You may well not get all the above, but many are essential and are a must.See if you have any local work that has been carried out by the firm you are considering.
Hope this is of some help.
ps, How long will it take?

Deedaa Sun 14-Apr-13 20:48:19

For anyone living in the area - we had all our windows done about 7 years ago by Thames Valley Windows. Reasonably priced and very quick and efficient installation. A couple of years ago we got them to replace the cladding on our porch and put up new gutters and fascia boards and again we were very happy with what they did. In the early 70's we did have a VERY brief spell selling double glazing so we had been pretty sceptical to start with, but we were pleasantly surprised.

rugbyguy223 Wed 26-Feb-14 13:14:49

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Fred12 Sat 15-Mar-14 13:09:03

Last summer we ordered double glazing windows from Southampton company, the quality is great and prices - fair. To look full range of their services & prices visit website

rugbyguy223 Mon 07-Apr-14 16:01:57

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

JessM Tue 08-Apr-14 07:03:36

What I learned, seeing as this has been revived was:
Get at least 3 quotes.
Try to track the company via Companies House. It costs pennies. Are they trading under various names and who will you actually be forming a contract with?
We ended up going to the local company that had their showroom and were in control of their own manufacture. They had lots of testimonials from customers. And they were not the cheapest. But the workmen were fantastic and the difference in warmth compared to the wooden double glazed french windows was amazing.

bmbtimber Thu 24-Jul-14 07:05:16

Few days back I replaced my all the steel windows and doors with the timber windows and doors.

Aka Thu 24-Jul-14 07:36:35

hmm ???

Charleygirl Thu 24-Jul-14 09:08:44

It is also important to find if the company is sub contracting the work.

Anne58 Thu 24-Jul-14 09:26:55

What a coincidence that the poster has "timber" as part of their name! hmm

harrigran Thu 24-Jul-14 22:12:55

I suggest using a local company where you can go and view their work. I have neighbours who have used big national companies and it has been a disaster. We always chose tradesmen by word of mouth from satisfied customers, if they advertise on TV you are paying for it.

Bez Thu 24-Jul-14 22:27:33

We initially used a local company when we began replacing windows during a house refurbishment but when we had Anglian give us a quote for the remainder of the house it was very apparent how much superior their product was. We had a good quote from them and the windows were good.
Every year about the anniversary of the installation I had a phone call asking if everything was still OK and we were happy. When I mentioned a small fault with a door lock they sent a man within a couple of days to fix it. The only quibble we had was that they used contractors to do the work and the men who came the second day were not as good as the first!