Gransnet forums

House and home

UPVC Double Glazing - any recommendations or warnings?

(71 Posts)
JessM Sun 13-Jan-13 09:31:54

We are having to replace some wooden double glazed doors. sad angry
I need to get quotes.
Has anyone got any recommendations for double glazing companies or are there any you have used that you would like to warn me about please.

ellisrobertson Wed 01-Oct-14 15:35:21

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

stephdawson Thu 21-Apr-16 14:23:34

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ravipop Thu 25-Aug-16 08:50:40

AnnaWhite123 Mon 19-Sep-16 12:05:56

jayb Thu 10-Nov-16 13:10:32

lancette Tue 15-Nov-16 06:28:16

uPVC windows and doors shows long lasting durability & optimum security feature. This is actual key for everyone. And make your property stylish and attractive. uPVC is non-conductive & less noisy material, help for both internal temperature & reduce the noise in building . It is enable, you to capture more natural sunlight into your interior, which can also help you lower your heating costs during cold, sunny mornings.

grannypiper Tue 15-Nov-16 09:12:05

Neighbour used a national (sounds like the are from the norfolk area to have a conservatory erected the whole job took months and was a nightmare. I was away when the started and when i returned found they had put the foundations over the boundary line only by 7 inches at one end ( our boundry was at a20 degree angle !) there answer was " its only 7 inches". The roof leaked and the put in the wrong windows on the side that overlooked us( terraced house) it took them 5 months to rectify the problem.

GrannyA11i Sun 20-Nov-16 13:38:17

We used a local firm a few years back, on a review site called something like 'find a trader.com' and they were as good as other reviewers had said. Earlier this year Safestyle Uk called and offered to do our porch for such a good price we took them up and the price actually got lowered during the process because something was easier to do after the surveyor had inspected the existing porch. We'd been happy with the first price so it was a great bonus! I'd recommend them for the work but not the after sales as they continually rang us up day after day until I threatened to report them to the ombudsman for harassment! They have stopped ringing us now thank goodness.

GertrudeGrace Sun 20-Nov-16 13:57:18

I would avoid Everest. I wanted a wooden front door not a plastic one. The rep was here for ages and eventually came up with a price of £10K - yes, that's right, I haven't mistyped it. When he realised we weren't buying he tried to persuade us that what we really needed was basically a set of patio doors fitted in front of the existing front door (on the hall side) so we could keep the door we had but draught proof it on the inside. It would have looked ridiculous. We had some windows done by a small local firm and their prices were nothing like the big companies, the windows are fine. Don't use any company that starts offering discounts unless they give you a sensible price to start with forget them.

Skullduggery Sun 20-Nov-16 14:15:27

I would hope the OP has sorted out who to buy double glazing from after posting this thread almost 4 years ago...grin

Anya Sun 20-Nov-16 14:29:44

grin Indeed!!

Pigglywiggly Sun 20-Nov-16 16:10:19

We had Anglian to give us a quote for a new door. The quote was £2,000 reduced after two hours to £1,000. TWO HOURS to give a quote for a door! Dread to think how long it would take to quote for a full house double glazing.

Christinefrance Sun 20-Nov-16 17:48:16

Ditto FlicketyB absolutely no problem and half the price of a big company advertising in the Supermarket. Also here there is never any question of money up front, always when the job is done satisfactorily.

Pigglywiggly Wed 23-Nov-16 08:14:56

We have just found the list of complaints we made after Everest fitted our windows nine years ago. Fit the best? Hmmmm

anniegillingham Sun 19-Mar-17 17:17:03

We used this website for our new windows. They give you an online guide price which as very useful. We were then put in touch with some local installers. Two quotes were very competitive, one wasn't so good but it was helpful to have a few different prices and see different products. We were very happy with the service and would use the same process again smile www.doubleglazingontheweb.co.uk

Ilovecheese Sun 19-Mar-17 19:34:42

Perhaps ask a local estate agent if replacing wooden with UPVC will reduce the value of your property. You might want to consider this when you are thinking about price.

carljenkinson Thu 23-Mar-17 13:39:49

justinye Tue 09-May-17 09:15:25

wfmindia Fri 15-Sep-17 07:46:30

wfmindia Fri 15-Sep-17 07:49:24