Gransnet forums

House and home

Downsizing

(72 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Mon 06-Jul-15 15:41:03

I have entered my 70's, although do not feel it. However my large garden and the maintenance is becoming increasingly difficult. I have lived in this house all my married life and know most neighbours well, but they to are either becoming infirm or a few have died. The remaining ones have family to help out regularly which I don't, so I am seriously considering moving whilst still in charge. As a widow things will not get easier and I wondered if anyone out there has any advise or tips to pass on before I take the plunge. I must say I have looked round and not found anything I liked, but know I am probably being too picky.

PPP Tue 07-Jul-15 15:46:39

I so agree that the time to move is while you are still fit and active. Moving house is difficult. Older friends advised us to move before we are 70. After that it is too physically and mentally arduous.

Most of my friends live in family houses which are much too big for them. We all love to have the space. But, this is blocking the housing stock for families.

I don't want my family having to clear a lifetime's worth of stuff when I die!
I would love to move near to my family, but they live in central London and house prices there are prohibitive. I now just hope that they will move out and then we can find something nearby. In the meantime we are moving to a bungalow near where we currently live. By downsizing we have been able to completely renovate it and it is really exciting.

Carpe diem!

Liz46 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:57:32

PPP, friends of ours have done the same. They moved from a four bedroom house to a two bedroom bungalow. As they only need one bedroom, they have used the second bedroom as an extra living room. They are having to renovate the bungalow but have freed up a large amount of money and are enjoying the new experience. I went to see the bungalow yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. They have got rid of very many possessions and are happy about it.

apricot Tue 07-Jul-15 20:01:32

I couldn't actually downsize unless I moved into the shed. Mine's a two-up, two down but close to town so I expect to stay here until I'm carried out.
I prefer an old place with character and would hate to end up in a battery house of geriatrics, full of Health And Safety warnings and communal activities.

Lys60 Tue 07-Jul-15 20:13:19

Do your research on an area before downsizing-key is to plan. Downsize but not downgrade,if you can. Loads of pied a terre- v popular just now

durhamjen Tue 07-Jul-15 20:40:11

Ever watch Shed of the Year, apricot?
Some of them are definitely not sheds, definitely liveable in.

bikergran Tue 07-Jul-15 21:46:46

We downsized almost 15 yrs ago (dh idea, reckoned it would be easier when he was no longer around) moved form 3 bed semi to 2 bed new build Mews house...........sold old house bought new one outright........I have always hated it, it is pretty easily maintenance apart from the high peak/gable end. which we didn't think of when we bought it, we ended up having scaffolding up to be able to paint the rendering (I hired the scaffolding but did the painting myself) but I must say since dh has gone, i have sort grown to like it a bit more. I missed my old house terribly and was quite depressed about it for many years, I used to dream about it. I still miss it but now know I could not cope with the big garden front and back, and also it held a lot of memories for me which I don't seem to have at this house. I would never buy a house that had rendering on again.

hobbitgran Wed 08-Jul-15 11:16:05

This thread is close to my heart having downsized two years ago to a new but familiar area. I have now really understood how even a carefully thought out change still brings losses and some sadness along with joys and benefits. Like PPP we sold our home and bought a bungalow - a project. Why? For future peace of mind, in acknowledgment that one of us will be alone one day so a manageable space for one person, to release some cash, to live somewhere it felt easy and safe to leave empty for holidays - to do it while fit and active.

It has been fun and also jolly hard work. We have made it our own and are very comfortable. Before the move we researched. We have the huge benefit of a regular bus service to our local town and also the coast, another easily accessed bus into the nearest city, local shops that are a few minutes walk away as is our GP surgery.

Our choice was to go for a managed development, we have our own garden with flower beds for me to tend - but grass is cut for us so no worries when we are away. The management fee was a concern, but overall we decided for peace of mind it was worth it - the fabric of the bungalow is maintained, windows are cleaned, grass is cut and I feel totally safe here. The sadness didn't really come until the renovation was finished and then the newness of it all felt alien, as did being away from my professional life. DH hasn't felt it in the same way, perhaps a female thing. I've worked through it and just about come out the other side. There is much to enjoy. Access to the coast, the more relaxed feel, no worries about the building, our kind, friendly and funny neighbours who always have time to talk or help, more time to be 'us'. If I feel sad, and I still do at times, I try to distract myself, it usually works. I have begun voluntary work and started to put down roots in this new area. Again, good to do it while fit and active.

Parting with 'things' was easier than I had believed for me. DH found it harder with a garage full of 'stuff'. We got there, I let my heart lead. I kept what mattered, even if I didn't understand why it mattered.

Apologies for the length of this. Luckylegs I wouldn't dream of telling you what to do, but hoped the flavour of our experience would help in some way. Good luck with your decision.

mrsmopp Wed 08-Jul-15 11:49:56

I would find it hard to move from here because it is so convenient. I have an excellent bus service to town, as well as a wide range of local shops. Doctors, dentist, bank, and post office all easy walking distance. I wouldnt want to leave my area, but a more manageable property would make a difference.
When I think of the costs though, estate agents, solicitors, removals, plus what would need spending on the new place it puts me off a bit.
I would rather use that money to pay someone to do the things I cant do such as outside painting and heavier jobs around the place.
And I can hang on to all my stuff a bit longer.
But I think a move would be inevitable eventually, just not quite ready yet to bite the bullet.

Gracesgran Thu 09-Jul-15 11:05:21

Just in case anyone is thinking of letting a room in a larger home rather than move you may be interested to know that it was announced in the budget yesterday that the Rent a Room tax allowance will be raised to £7,500 from £4,250.smile

soontobe Thu 09-Jul-15 12:26:05

Yeah! Very sensible.

westieyaya Thu 09-Jul-15 13:45:08

At the age of 70 I found myself in a similar situation. A large old house and garden, on my own, and with maintenance bills I couldn't afford. I downsized to a flat in a retirement complex and invested in buy to let property to provide an extra pension. I couldn't be happier, my flat has been upgraded to my taste and I have companionship if I want it.
It all proved very fortuitous as I became ill just before I moved, I'm now recovering but find the security of my complex reassuring

rosesarered Thu 09-Jul-15 14:02:52

Lots of helpful posts for you Luckylegs, are you still here?

emilina Thu 09-Jul-15 14:18:26

I also am thinking of downsizing but its the areas im having trouble in finding i live in south east london and something just tells me to move out a bit its scary doing it on wons own a wrong move then cant go back any ideas

charmian Thu 09-Jul-15 16:52:17

Hi It is is a tricky business downsizing - but really heartening that you are thinking about it early on. My top tips - think about your friends and what you like doing most of the time. Try to imagine your needs in the future particularly from a mobility point of view, closeness to what you like doing. I help people downsize day in day out and yes there are a lot of considerations, but I can say that after 11 years of helping people physically and mentally sort this out, all bar one have said it was the best thing they could have done and most wish they had done it sooner. In terms of finding what you like - yes not everywhere has ldeal places. I suggest that you start with a list of what is essential and what is desirable - sometimes compromises are worth it. Any more specific help - be happy to speak to you.

Ana Thu 09-Jul-15 16:56:23

It's not so much the finding of a new, smaller place that worries me but whether my current home will sell! And how quickly...

Houses in this area can sometimes be on the market for a year or two, and mine does need some modernisation work. Of course, it might just be someone else's dream home! [hopeful emoticon]

charmian Thu 09-Jul-15 17:38:09

Ana - of course you know selling is partly about the price - if it is cheaper people can afford a bit of modernisation I suppose. You should be able to stay in more in control of the process if you let your agent know that you cannot get to exchange of contracts until you have found a place to move to. So any buyer knows that sale and purchase have to be linked. Hope it goes well.....

Ana Thu 09-Jul-15 17:45:46

Thank you - yes of course it will be priced to sell, I can't afford to be unrealistic!

varian Thu 09-Jul-15 18:05:27

In a village near us the Parish Council has obtained outline planning permission for a development on two fields on the edge of the village - two houses for the farming families who own the land and the rest split between starter homes for young people with local connexions and downsizers who want to stay in the village which has been their home for many years. This will hopefully mean that the large family houses they sell will go to families who can bring new life to the village.

I think this is a brilliant scheme which could be copied in many rural locations where people have built strong roots and don't want to move away. It also gives the downsizers the chance to have an individual architect-designed home, with exactly the features they will want for the long term and still have money in the bank. Would that work for you Lucky?

merlotgran Thu 09-Jul-15 18:34:31

Our village has a community housing scheme as well. Phase 2 is about to begin and the estate will also incorporate a new GP surgery.

Only 65 homes have been built in the village over the last ten years so this scheme will hopefully provide an opportunity for people with connections to the village to purchase an affordable home.

emilina Thu 09-Jul-15 19:43:13

Hi charmian i search the nett night after night not even knowing what areas where i live i can get to town in 20mnts using my freedem pass feel id like to go just a little further afield but when i try to go out of my comfort zone i get a bit scared going to look at a house the weekend just about 20mnts away then i think should it be a house or a bungalow at the momment still able to drive to essex where i go out alot but also think one day i may not be able to drive very confused i must drive the estate nuts lol so keep looking iv told myself south london i think its now time to leave should have called myself confused .com

nanakate Thu 09-Jul-15 21:54:43

Here are three things I've learned from experience about downsizing. I am in a couple so don't have direct experience of being on my own, but here goes:

1. A friend of mine in her 60s who has MS was looking for a retirement place and didn't feel comfortable with what she saw. In the end she found a fabulous 'park home'. The other people on the park are like her, slightly nonconformist and it's a great community for her. They all look out for one another. We gaze on in admiration.

2. Husband and I downsized several years ago to a two bedroom house - starter home size. It was great while we were still working part-time, but as soon as we were both retired we were under each others' feet. Solution? Upsizing again! We have just moved into a three-bedroom Victorian house (sigh of resignation).

3. My mum and dad downsized to a one-bedroom retirement apartment. This was a major mistake. The second bedroom would have been invaluable for a) when they fall out, b) when one of them is ill, c) when one of the children wants or needs to stay over to help out.

Gracesgran Fri 10-Jul-15 00:11:05

I can really see the problem with a one bedroom flat nanakate. Even on your own, with no outside space, garage or shed I would think a second bedroom would make a big difference.

One of my friends has looked at Park Homes and some of them look delightful. My worry with them is they have a bad reputation for their leases. I have often wondered if, as they can be built quickly, they could help with both our housing and ageing problem.

Robert Fri 10-Jul-15 00:39:21

We are in our late 60s and downsized recently.Like any move it was stressful but the end result has been marvellous. First, in the process we got rid of loads of stuff we didn't need and passed it on to other people who did want it - using charity shops, freecycle, and personal contacts, and the dustbin. The new house is smaller but in a much better condition than our previous 1880s home.
About finding a new home you have to tackle the quest seriously and i'd recommend that you get a good local agent to handle your sale and tell the agent that unless he/she can find a new home for you, you won't be moving.
Someone else here suggested you make a list of criteria for the new place and I agree you should do that and rank the criteria in order of importance. What matters to you - nice kitchen, so many bedrooms, large living room, a garden or whatever?
If you are on your own you do need help - find a younger friend who will act as a sounding board, look at your shortlisted homes, help you to get rid of stuff. But if you do that, and you pick the right person, then do listen to what they have to say.
Your point about moving while still in charge is very important. You are still able to make the decisions.
Something I'd suggest is telling the agent and the buyer and your solicitor that you will need more than the usual four weeks between exchange of contracts and completion. That's a very short time and you will have a lot more to do than a person who is upsizing in vigorous middle age!
Good luck. When you've moved you'll say "What a relief - I should have done it ten years ago."

notgrandma Fri 10-Jul-15 05:56:38

We have decided to downsize ,started the process 12 months ago and are now awaiting a completion date on a move to a delightful but much smaller bungalow.I have been decluttering for months which has been great very cathartic and mostly I feel positive just a little terrified. I have such memories of this family home of 40 years which we built and extended to accommodate our growing family,but time moves on and they all have homes of their own and releasing some cash and having the prospect t of less maintenance seems like the best way forward.wish me luck I just hope it all goes through now.

NfkDumpling Fri 10-Jul-15 07:54:29

It took us two years to 'de-clutter'! We moved from an extended four bedroom family home on the outskirts of Norwich. The cost of keeping up a large house with rooms largely unused and keeping on top of the gardening was becoming a drain. We loved the house and the garden even more but, although we were in a suburb we needed to go by car to the shops, doctor etc. and many friends were moving - or dying off so we decided to move while we were still active enough to build up a new social life.

it also took two years to narrow down where we wanted to live taking into account distance from friends/family/pastimes as well as local amenities. It came down to three market towns further out from Norwich. We are now within easy walking distance of everything we need and rarely go into Norwich - or even have to face large supermarket shops very often. It did take a bit of re-acclimatisation and several times in the first few months I found myself heading home in the wrong direction!

I can recommend life in a market town but apparently it's very popular as I read not long ago that house prices average 30% higher! We certainly gained no extra money by our move but running costs on a smaller house and shopping locally has greatly reduced our monthly bills. There's a lot to consider before a move but I don't regret it for a moment.