Gransnet forums

House and home

dreading winter

(125 Posts)
rojon Mon 27-Jul-15 22:34:16

I know it is summer but I am really not looking forward to the winter. I live in a small ten year old house and really struggled to feel warm enough last winter even though my wall thermometer told me it was at least twenty two degrees. The insulation and double glazing is good and the only thing missing is a fire. There is no chimney so I can't have a gas fire and wonder if an electric fire and a fake fireplace will make me feel warmer psychologically. I do dress warmly and even resorted to wearing a hat and fingerless gloves in the house when reading. I do go out walking most days and don't struggle with the cold when out. I am 74 years old and suffer with the odd hot flush. Help

rosesarered Tue 28-Jul-15 11:07:35

Good idea, Purple Daffodil, we have thought that if we get a bit past it for the open log fire we have now, then we would have one of those, they look pretty good, and no effort.

rosesarered Tue 28-Jul-15 11:08:19

I quite fancy having a log fire roaring today, it's grey and gloomy and none too warm.

Boots Tue 28-Jul-15 13:58:50

I am another one who feels cold indoors even if the thermometer is showing it is 20+ degrees. It has to be around 24 degrees indoors for me to feel warm and not need a cardigan. I do have an underactive thyroid (have had for around 15 years) and take thyroxine. Other problems have gone, but not the feeling cold. I had a blood test recently to check the thyroxine was ok. I do normally have a lower body temperature than most people, but according to the doctor it is what is considered normal.

I hate the thought of winter, not just the cold but the dark and dreary days and long nights. We do have a small wood burner in our lounge and use that all the winter which helps on the cost of central heating. However while it is really good in there, it doesn't heat the rest of the house. Too small. Lots of the ideas others have given are very good, and certainly a focal point of a fire of some sort of other can help I think.

janerowena Tue 28-Jul-15 14:07:25

Until we had our woodburner installed (multifuel but we have a lot of wood in our garden) I used one of these

www.wickes.co.uk/Rhino-Halogen-Heater-1-2kw/p/219460?CAWELAID=120135120000012814&CAGPSPN=pla&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping%20-%20Heating%20&%20Plumbing&tmcampid=&tmad=c&tmplaceref=lzQbnSzV&tmcustom=mkwid|slzQbnSzV_dc|pcrid|43364569612|kword||match||plid|#

It's excellent, because it not only costs only about 4p per hour to run with only one bar on, it also sends out a lovely warm bright glow which makes you feel better. You can buy spare bulbs on Amazon, although they are very tricky to fit, but at that price it's not really a problem.

Anya Tue 28-Jul-15 14:21:57

Never mind winter, it's perishing here tiday!

janerowena Tue 28-Jul-15 14:45:16

grin

rojon Tue 28-Jul-15 14:51:31

thanks for all the replies. I have already used all your tips apart from the silk underwear and the heat sources requiring an outside wall. My house is an end terrace with windows taking up two outside walls and the stairs being on the third outside wall so can't have any form of heater requiring a chimney It might be worth asking for a blood test although I did have one about twenty years ago for an underactive thyroid which was negative. As I sit here typing my hands are freezing while my body is not quite comfortably warm enough despite having a mohair shawl over my legs and wearing a lambswool cardigan over another cardigan and a longsleeve cotton tee shirt. The central heating thermostat is set at between 22/24 and I have been out this morning to my knitting club where I had first of all to ditch my cardigan because I was too warm then later put it back on as I had got too cold. It seems I cannot maintain my temperature at a comfortable level.

janerowena Tue 28-Jul-15 15:00:58

I'm just like you, I have my little halogen heater for when I can't be bothered to light the fire, and I also have big warm throws over the arms of every chair and sofa. I dress in layers and they are on and off all the time. I get reynaud's occasionally, and have to wear socks more than I would like. I have been know to spend half the winter in fingerless gloves.

soontobe Tue 28-Jul-15 15:06:31

Do you have low blood pressure? Do you get migraines?
How long have you had all this?

rojon Tue 28-Jul-15 15:23:27

soontobe I used to have low bloodpressure when I was young but no longer. I don't get migraines or even headaches at all. I have always had a problem with cold hands and feet in fact I remember my hands were always purple when I was a child. I have been conscious of having a problem keeping warm or of judging the room temperature for a long time and bought my first room thermometer when I was in my forties, so thirty years ago.

ajanela Tue 28-Jul-15 19:03:11

I agree you should see your GP.

But when you have been checked out have you thought of taking some short breaks in warmer places, with the cheap airlines and hotels wanting guests during the winter you could find some interesting places and save on the heating.

annodomini Tue 28-Jul-15 19:43:36

I also have cold hands and feet. I wear bedsocks because I can't get to sleep with cold feet. My gloves come out at the first hint of autumn. The coldest thing I ever do is putting the washing on the line on a cold (not necessarily freezing) day. I always have to come in and warm my hands up in the sink. I think I can say that I just don't let myself get cold.

Purpledaffodil Tue 28-Jul-15 20:40:17

Thanks merlot and roses. The "fireplace" was recycled. We took out the gilt electric fire and mock marble panel and painted the rest to match the furniture. After 20 years in this house, we were able to eat dinner without shivering last winter. grin

NanKate Tue 28-Jul-15 21:31:35

I bought in the sale a lovely purple velvet rug which I wrap myself in whilst reading my book in the evening, very snug.

soontobe Wed 29-Jul-15 00:00:10

Trouble is with me, not sure about op, is that I dont actually feel the cold, until it is far too late.
As soon as I feel cold, I touch my skin and realise I must have been cold for quite some time.

That used to work well when I was younger, and i just went around not feeling cold when others around me were.

It does not work well at all now though, for obvious reasons.

absent Wed 29-Jul-15 07:14:10

I live the other side of the world and it is winter here – and quite a cold one this year. So what? Why live your life anticipating problems in the future? I could find myself in a summer so hot in December I don't know what to do, except, if I am faced with it, I shall know what to do. Do something to keep yourself warm if it is a cold winter – when it comes. Living your life with a constant fear of what the future may hold seems pretty sad and rather silly. How much future do we all have?

Greyduster Wed 29-Jul-15 07:29:01

We have no chimney either, but we have a balanced flue gas fire where the flue goes straight through the wall to the outside. They are extremely efficient. The downside is that they are more expensive than an ordinary gas fire.

Iam64 Wed 29-Jul-15 08:37:47

rojon I've read the thread, hope I haven't missed something, but so far I haven't seen a reference to the possibility of Reynaud's syndrome. It causes poor circulation to the extremities, i.e. hands n feet. You mention having very cold/blue hands as a child. So did I, my fingers would go white with cold when swimming. It wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 40's and being investigated for various auto immune conditions. I took medication for Reynauds for a while, but found the head aches caused by the meds worse than the cold hands and feet.

I try and help poor circulation by walking, yoga and keeping as active as I can. When walking during the winter I wear thermal underwear (including leggings) silk gloves and socks under thermal socks and gloves. I empathise with feeling cold, it's misery making. We put the central heating on over the weekend because it was so cold, wet and gloomy here.

I support others who've suggesting a chat with your GP about this.

Stansgran Wed 29-Jul-15 10:31:30

I have a stash of thermal polo neck jumpers and camisoles. They make a difference. I have a dyson heater which is light to move around and I have some sheepskin scuffs which I need to replace for this winter. I think they were from Celtic which have lovely warm stuff. I also have HWBs which are for the microwave. Now is the time to be prepared rather than have it bother you.

Stansgran Wed 29-Jul-15 10:35:01

I've just looked at their website and these are rather cheeryhttps://www.celticandco.com/footwear/british-made-footwear/knitted-cable-babuska

Stansgran Wed 29-Jul-15 10:35:29

Sorry
www.celticandco.com/footwear/british-made-footwear/knitted-cable-babuska

redorist Wed 29-Jul-15 12:10:34

I take thyroxine because of an underactive thyroid gland and I still feel the cold

Bellanonna Wed 29-Jul-15 12:32:39

Me too reformist. 100mcg. My feet are blocks of ice when I'm not moving. Equally I can't adapt to heatwaves and recently had a week in the sun which I found unbearable. Do you find this too, or is it just the cold that affects you? My hwb keeps my feet warm on the sofa and in the winter I just don't hang about in the cold. At stations I go into snack bars if I have to wait, or walk on to the next stop if I'm using buses and miss one.

Bellanonna Wed 29-Jul-15 12:33:50

Redorist. I apologise for name change. Blooming
iPad thinks it knows better than me!

redorist Wed 29-Jul-15 19:01:36

my dose is 50mcg but I do not suffer from cold feet to the extent you get it Bellanona.....in saying that in bed I wear bed socks all year round....heatwaves I can stand for a day or two but then it gets too much

redorist