Gransnet forums

House and home

dreading winter

(125 Posts)
rojon Mon 27-Jul-15 22:34:16

I know it is summer but I am really not looking forward to the winter. I live in a small ten year old house and really struggled to feel warm enough last winter even though my wall thermometer told me it was at least twenty two degrees. The insulation and double glazing is good and the only thing missing is a fire. There is no chimney so I can't have a gas fire and wonder if an electric fire and a fake fireplace will make me feel warmer psychologically. I do dress warmly and even resorted to wearing a hat and fingerless gloves in the house when reading. I do go out walking most days and don't struggle with the cold when out. I am 74 years old and suffer with the odd hot flush. Help

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 06-Aug-15 14:05:19

shock grin

Blooming I-pad!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 06-Aug-15 14:07:29

We had gas lights with mantles. (showing off on the 'poor' stakes now. And just candles upstairs.

jollyg Thu 06-Aug-15 14:41:28

And the band played......................

Ana Thu 06-Aug-15 14:54:42

Or the violins...grin

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 06-Aug-15 19:33:05

You lot don't know the 'arf of it! hmm

grin

Ana Thu 06-Aug-15 19:42:37

Only teasing, jingl - it's lucky you didn't set fire to anything with those candles, though...shock

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 06-Aug-15 19:49:29

I know you were only teasing. grin

I don't know how that house didn't burn down. Six candles on my bedside table for reading, and the cat in bed with me!

Ana Thu 06-Aug-15 19:50:12

grin Luck of the devil!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 06-Aug-15 19:53:17

yep! grin

rojon Tue 11-Aug-15 21:44:32

dorset my son has just bought a house in Spain and I assured him that I would definitely be visiting him in the winter.

carol123 Tue 11-Aug-15 22:04:49

my neighbour is on dialysis and is always freezing cold because of her kidneys. She keeps warm by wearing one of those fleece dressing gowns, says its the best thing she ever bought.

rojon Sat 22-Aug-15 20:40:17

dorsetpennt I am hopeful of spending some time in Spain as one of my sons is buying property there and is anxious that I visit him.

Ana Sat 22-Aug-15 20:44:51

Didn't you already say that, rojon? confused

Nice for you, anyway...

rojon Sat 22-Aug-15 20:58:21

senior moment

seacliff Sat 22-Aug-15 21:09:09

We also have a fake wood burner. I just have the flames on in winter, and it really makes me feel cosier. I also have a nice wool throw from the National Trust shop, which I have to share with the cats.

My husband has this www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/281469762323?adgroupid=&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_

He looks like something out of a Clint Eastwood cowboy film, but is very warm smile

NotTooOld Sat 22-Aug-15 21:16:31

Don't count on getting warm in winter even in Spain, especially if you are inland. In my experience it can be bloomin' cold and the houses are not usually built to withstand low temperatures. Just saying!

BlackeyedSusan Tue 25-Aug-15 11:07:29

Thankfully, my mother did not go in for shag pile carpet, though I do remember having to tune in the channel with a dial on my black and white portable. <misses point of thread>

Warmth...

Obviously the warmest point of the room is right next to the thermometer and the solution is installing velcro on the wall and attaching yourself to the very place... [unhelpful]

Apparently if you are a bit dehydrated then it is harder to keep warm.

Do you wear enough layers? My mum complains of being cold but is only wearing thin tights and trousers. I have bought her base layers but she does not wear them. Aldi sell cheapish (for wool) merino wool base layers every autumn. They also sell synthetic base layers, though they may be marketed for cycling, or horseriding. The blokes ones are better as they are more likely to meet in the middle.

I try not to put the heating on for just me. I find a scarf to keep my neck warm and a hat really help. [and the fact that the bloke downstairs puts his heating on and I get the benefit] also wooly aldi socks (mens) thick over socks (aldi mens) and some long stretchy socks that meet my base layer to prevent ankle draughts... (oh they are smart price mens ones too) I have my aldi fluffy slippers for when I am sitting at the computer and several fleecy throws to put over my knees.

Theoddbird Tue 25-Aug-15 14:02:40

I live in a tiny cowshed...no central heating...just a wood burner. I have to carry the wood from front to back when it is delivered...takes and hour and half. In winter, when I get up, I can see my breath...well it shows I am alive...grins. Goodness knows what that means the temperature is. I have to keep patio doors open a bit so my two cats can go in and out. Love the wood burner...is so cosy and I suppose the visual thing. What I cannot be without is my electric under blanket. I would recommend one of these to everyone. Oh and socks. If your feet are warm it makes you feel warm all over.

JessM Tue 25-Aug-15 14:58:13

V long thread and I confess to not reading all. If your house is only 10 years old it should be v energy efficient and very cosy - and cheap to heat. Get someone to check thermostat - if you have a BG contract they will probably do this. Or buy/borrow another thermometer.

Also check there are no holes in house where pipes enter. These can leak heat in winter. Are there a neighbours with similar houses you could compare notes with?

Also - has anyone ever looked in your loft - it is not unknown for builders to forget to unroll the insulation material but to leave it in its packaging. I kid you not.

BlackeyedSusan Tue 25-Aug-15 18:13:48

not just builders either... ran out of oomph and got fed up of snagging my backside on the beams whilst reversing out of dark corners

BlackeyedSusan Tue 25-Aug-15 18:14:18

and insulate the lost hatch.

Ana Tue 25-Aug-15 18:16:13

If you can find it...

Alea Tue 25-Aug-15 18:18:17

Now Ana . . . smile

rojon Wed 02-Sep-15 20:15:31

That made me smile Susan (attaching myself to the wall) I'm pretty sure I wear enough layers. Socks, base layer under long sleeved cotton T shirt and cardigan. In the evening I usually put on an extra lambswool cardigan and throw a Mohair shawl over my knees. When it gets really cold I add leg warmers, gloves and a hat and sometimes cuddle a hot water bottle. Trouble is when I get a hot flush I then have to divest myself of all the extra garments then later get chilled and have to put them back again.
I'm investigating arm warmers as I'm convinced if I could keep my extremities warmer I would feel better.