Gransnet forums

House and home

Do you iron your sheets?

(158 Posts)
BabsAnn Sat 28-Nov-15 20:34:31

I am sitting here with a pile of ironing - yes, that would be on a Saturday night - and wondering why I am ironing the bedsheets. Am feeling rebellious (this is what two glasses of red wine does to one). Does it really matter? Does anyone else bother ironing duvet covers and sheets or do you just put them on all wrinkly?

NotTooOld Wed 27-Jan-16 21:54:47

Nope, I don't iron sheets or duvet covers unless it's the posh duvet cover off the guest bed and then I give it a bit of a going over - unless it's DD who's coming to stay, and then I wouldn't bother as she doesn't either. I do iron pillow slips, though, as I don't like the feel of unironed ones.

Anneishere Wed 27-Jan-16 12:51:13

No I do not iron my sheets. In fact I do as little ironing as possible lol. As soon as sheets are taken out of dryer I immediately put back on bed - and they look fresh and fine to me. But, I do know plenty of people who do iron sheets and tea towels but some people do find ironing very therapeutic. Unfortunately, I do not. grin

Greenfinch Sun 03-Jan-16 20:27:01

I enjoy ironing and will iron anything that looks creased such as shirts and sheets. I also iron tea towels. I find ironing relaxing and gives me good thinking time. I do not have a tumble dryer.

maisyann Sun 03-Jan-16 19:47:28

No or anything else unless I have to. Wash clothes on a low spin dry in the wind or on a hanger for most activities a few creases will not make a differance more important to spend time having a laugh.

Nelliemoser Tue 15-Dec-15 22:41:05

I am increasingly thinking about not bothering to iron bedding.
In the summer I was washing sheets etc and taking them off the line and putting them back on the bed.
As others have said as long as they are not totally creased fold them flat and put them under a pile or carefully roll them up.
I do iron tops etc which you don't want to look too crumpled.

Lucky those of you who like ironing. I can see how soothing it could be. My mum liked ironing but I did not get those genes.

Bothiegran2013 Tue 15-Dec-15 21:40:17

Great idea, I love it, but still ask......why bother?

eccentric Thu 10-Dec-15 09:09:59

Never iron a thing

MargaretX Thu 03-Dec-15 15:08:05

EllenT - yes in the summer months. I'm glad to have my flat sheets, even now I only have a summer duvet and a blanket for in the middle of the night if it gets very cold.
Here in Germany couples have their own duvets. They couldn't cope with having to share a large one.

EllenT Thu 03-Dec-15 12:28:34

After wrestling with our super king duvet & cover again yesterday, I do wonder whether sheets and blankets might be easier. And better accommodate changing temperatures? Does anyone still use them?

northernfi Tue 01-Dec-15 22:58:55

I iron sheets, pillowcases and the top of the duvet covers, plus a couple of blouses that look so much nicer when the collars are crease free. In good weather, when I can line dry the bedding, then a smooth out is all that's needed. Because I don't have to iron a lot, I enjoy it especially if I'm listening to a radio play, which also serves as a timer. By the time the details of the cast are being read, the iron must be off and the kettle on!

annodomini Tue 01-Dec-15 22:18:43

As I have a guest coming this week, I stretched a point, put the sheet on the bed and ironed it in situ, then did the same with the duvet cover and pillow cases.

MargaretX Tue 01-Dec-15 21:10:35

This business with ironing is whether you like to use your hands or not. I feel happy using my hands and do a lot of practical things: embroidery, sewing, knitting, ironing, wallpapering, painting walls or pictures, arranging flowers etc I even like using a screwdriver and fixing IKEA cupboards.

Compared to that ironing is restfull.

Gilla01 Tue 01-Dec-15 11:58:27

I used to iron them, but then I stopped and no-one has noticed.

annie61 Mon 30-Nov-15 17:48:54

Three daughters, only one ironer among 'em!!

annie61 Mon 30-Nov-15 17:45:17

Iron-free since 1973smile

Barrowlass Mon 30-Nov-15 15:42:46

Folding is the answer to bedding. Smooth them out as you fold then put at the bottom of the bedding pile. Come time to use them they'll be just as good as ironed.

GrannyJane Mon 30-Nov-15 12:41:25

Yes, duvet covers and pillow cases because I love the smell and feel of them. I'm lucky that I have a wooden floor and do the covers on that - wouldn't bother if I had to use the ironing board. And it's a great excuse to watch crappy TV while I'm doing it.

chloe1984 Mon 30-Nov-15 11:48:05

I too love ironing and will iron all the extra bits like tea towels , underwear but haven't yet ironed socks.

felice Mon 30-Nov-15 11:04:17

I would love ironed sheets but I do not have an iron and if I started giving DD sheets to iron I think I would end up wearing them !!

annodomini Mon 30-Nov-15 11:04:07

Remember the brushed nylon sheets? You could strike sparks off them just by turning over in bed.

rosesarered Mon 30-Nov-15 11:00:41

I only iron sheets for the guest beds.tchgrin

Charleygirl Mon 30-Nov-15 10:08:01

I remember when my mother bought nylon sheets was it around the late 50's?- I almost slithered out of bed- they were ghastly, but did not need ironing.

Jackthelad Mon 30-Nov-15 10:05:17

Life ladies is all choices. So iron or not to iron is a choice and you live with the result. So Hey Ho enjoy life.

MargaretX Mon 30-Nov-15 09:44:45

I'm like you Ruby, I like ironing and I like ironed bedding and tea towels.

rubysong Mon 30-Nov-15 09:11:57

I think someone earlier on this thread suggested watching YouTube for how to fold a fitted sheet and said 'it will change your life'. Well I did watch it and, thank you, I think it will change my life!

I couldn't sleep in non ironed bedlinen and tea towels need ironing to sterilise them. I never iron towels, knickers or socks.