Gransnet forums

House and home

Following on from the "softly softly" thread, a question for you.

(95 Posts)
phoenix Tue 30-Aug-16 19:32:36

Evening all,

I noticed on the thread mentioned, that there were quite a few mentions of washing up.

I can be a bit pedantic (yes, really, who's have thought it!) about washing up, it has to be done in this order:

Glasses
Cutlery
Plates
Baking dishes/saucepans (these can be switched around, sometimes the saucepans are no prob, if they have just had peas, carrots etc, the baking dishes might have been used for lasagne etc, in which case they would go last.

Am I odd, or is this the way everyone does it?

Legs55 Sat 10-Sep-16 18:12:24

I wash up in same way but any plates/dishes are soaked or rinsed off/wiped with kitchen towel before washing up properly. Even when I had a dishwasher I would never have put plates etc in covered in food - yuk all the food gathering goodness knows where!! As I'm now on my own I usually only wash up once a day.

When DH was alive he used to do washing up (pre-dishwasher days). I do miss my dishwasher but small kitchen in new home means I haven't got room for one or storage for extra crockery etc

I also rarely dry up, leaving everything to dry & put away when I get up in the morning (more hygienic than using tea towels)grin

Im68Now Sat 03-Sep-16 07:45:25

I'm not sure how long it actually takes, I switch it on at 7 and then go and watch something that we've recorded and drink the wine and that should tell you why it takes 20 min. to unload.

Any ideas about the dishwasher safe non-stick pots and pans.

A few red wine suggestions would help to I hate all types of housework

Jalima Fri 02-Sep-16 20:27:18

shock why does it take 20 minutes to unload I'm68?

You must have a very large kitchen envy

Ana Fri 02-Sep-16 18:12:05

If I had a dishwasher, I'm sure I'd continue to 'soak' things like lasagne dishes before putting them in!

merlotgran Fri 02-Sep-16 18:06:42

Two hours, Im68Now?

I use the economy wash which only takes 40mins and everything comes out sparkling.

DeeWBW Fri 02-Sep-16 15:39:01

Ah, that’s the way we were taught in that good old domestic science class of yesterday – clean things first and then so on and yes, I still do it that way. After all, who would want to wash drinking glasses in the water you had just pulled your lasagne dish out of? Still, I never wanted a dishwasher but I do now have one and they are good to a certain point, though you will probably find yourself pulling the ‘only half washed’ lasagne dish out of the dishwasher, to wash by hand.

Im68Now Fri 02-Sep-16 09:48:15

Happiness is Me with a dish washer. It goes on at 7 o-clock and takes about 2 hours and I'm told that it cost about 79p per load. I hate unloading the thing, that takes about 20 mins.

What I want is some non-stick pots and pans that are dish washer safe, even M&S don't do them. suggestions please.

trisher Fri 02-Sep-16 07:31:25

I'm like harrigran domestic science at school taught the same order. "Domestic Science sounds really clever doesn't it much better than cookery and/or needlework.

Ellie590 Fri 02-Sep-16 07:18:55

I just chuck it all in as I go then wash it as thoroughly and quickly as I can, horrible job not worth thinking about. Just get it done and out of the way.

harrigran Thu 01-Sep-16 11:49:03

If I have to wash up that is the way I do it too, I think mine is a legacy of domestic science classes at school and college. It was useful in the old days because glasses got the clean water and didn't get greasy deposits and then you progressed through the increasing stains until you reached the pans. In the good old days we had to boil the kettle several times to do one lot of washing up.

Lewlew Thu 01-Sep-16 11:01:16

cc

I'd have a DW if I had room... likely many of us don't, or maybe don't own their flat/home. I need the cupboard space as we live in a flat. Also, one less thing to leak into flat below. Trouble enough with washers doing that. Been there, done that. Ugh.

grannyactivist Thu 01-Sep-16 00:04:16

I follow the same pattern, but I like the washing up water to be hotter than my hands can stand, so that I have to fish things out with the washing up brush and the water is still very hot when the washing up is finished - and I'm a stickler for rinsing everything in clean hot water too.

My major bugbear with lodgers is that although I quickly get them trained in washing/drying up in a timely manner I cannot persuade them to use water that I consider hot enough. My current Malaysian lodger uses barely tepid water, which would drive me to distraction except that she mostly uses her own utensils and often eats directly from (her own) pans/bowls. (And she sent us a wedding anniversary card to 'Mum and Dad' - she's adorable.)

SparklyGrandma Wed 31-Aug-16 23:12:25

Hi Pheonix,
I have read the comments and maybe I like being different but I things in an order like this under running hot (to wash after soaping with washing up liquid) and then cold (to rinse) water; plates, bowls, saucepans, dishes, cutlery, then wash my glasses under tepid water, rinsed with cold water.
I aim to purchase a dishwasher soon and will wash glasses seperately. I cant stand soap nor marks on glasses!

phoenix Wed 31-Aug-16 22:12:45

What a lot of replies! Thanks all.

Just to answer a couple of posts, sarahelen I don't think it's being fussy, just efficient, as that way everything seems to get clean!

Never got a single Brownie badge, only went once and decided that Brownies and I were never going to be compatible, I wasn't exactly a biddable child! blush

Mr P has hardly ever called me by name! If he is calling to me, for example, upstairs, it's"darling", if I call him he responds with "yes Miss" confused

grannypiper Wed 31-Aug-16 19:49:19

Exactly the same way i was taught at home and in home economics at school. I always hand wash, the dishwasher is used to store oven trays or even bulk buy from the supermarket ! every now and then i put vinegar in the machine and run it through the cycle(most time i remember to take the bulk buy out first )

sarahellenwhitney Wed 31-Aug-16 19:38:25

Isn't life to short to be fussy about the way we wash our dishes?

gingladys Wed 31-Aug-16 19:20:46

Hahaa! That made me laugh merlotgran

Daisyanswerdo Wed 31-Aug-16 19:05:31

I wash up by hand (no room for a dishwasher. I hardly ever use a drying-up cloth, but I rinse everything in very hot water and leave to drain. I have a friend who does the same, and she says 'God dries them'. I do feel it's more hygienic.

I sometimes wonder why people use so much soap when they wash up. I can't see the point of all those heaps of suds, which take so much water to get rid of. It's not as if there are fibres in fabric to get in between. Somebody told me that the least sign of soap in the water, ie a few bubbly suds, means that the water is saturated with the detergent, and adding more is unnecessary. You can tell if you do need more if there's lots to wash.

cc Wed 31-Aug-16 18:43:12

Please don't quarrel with me if you don't agree Gransnetters, what follows is just what I've read over the years:
I've always understood that a dishwasher is actually cheaper to use than washing by hand - always assuming that you don't count the cost of the machine in the first place. Apparently the cost of heating the water tank, then running the water until it is hot (at least twice) is more than filling the machine and just heating the water you use. More modern machines have heat exchangers that absorb the heat from the washing and rinsing water to help with the drying.

In our house we have cheap power at night (whatever they now call the old Economy 7) and the machine is timed to run then, using any hot water than remains in the system rather than using cold water.

sluttygran Wed 31-Aug-16 18:34:57

I would so love a dishwasher! The way I do washing up is a bit pernickety, but I can't help myself:
Rinse all plates with hot water and dishbrush, and stack
Place all cutlery in large jug and fill with hot soapy water to soak.
Rinse, then fill all cooking pans with hot soapy water.
Fill bowl with hot soapy water and wash glasses and cups
wash plates in same water, empty water and rinse all that has been washed.
Refill hot bowl, wash cutlery then saucepans. Rinse all with clean water.
Leave to dry, then finish with freshly boiled and ironed tea towel every time.
Empy bowl, rinse sink and clean.
Curse violently 'cos I just found another cup and two plates lurking in the sitting room.

cc Wed 31-Aug-16 18:30:25

I do it in the same way as phoenix though like others I usually use a dishwasher for everything except non-stick, aluminium, knives and more delicate hand painted or gilded china.

However I have a terrible Ebay habit and am gaining more and more old crockery which should hand washed.

kazgran Wed 31-Aug-16 18:13:53

Exactly the same for me Phoenix. This is how I was taught to wash up in my domestic science lesson at secondary school. Old habits die hard!

joannewton46 Wed 31-Aug-16 18:07:01

I was in the Girls' Life Brigade as a child and have a badge for washing up. This was to be done in the order you suggest so that the cleanest things were washed first and the dirtiest last. Makes sense to me.
Now I use a dishwasher (no, not my other half) so rinse off the worst and soak as necessary then bung it in and forget about it - till the next day when I realise I forgot to switch it on.

Craftycat Wed 31-Aug-16 18:03:41

First year we got a DW- oh the bliss!! Christmas came & a friend was staying who was overjoyed at the thought of no washing up to do after the big dinner. Sod's law- the damn thing broke down & it is SO much worse having to take everything out again & then wash it by hand.

She never came again although it (& all the subsequent ones) have been fine ever since.

BTW we call each other Darling & I call all the GC that too- except when they are little sods- like yesterday!

Knackered Wed 31-Aug-16 17:54:09

Hi everybody,

This is my first post since 'joining'. Nice to be part of it , I've loved reading all your mails.
My question is ,what do you think of Dr's receptionists asking why you want to see the doctor ?? (With a surgery full of waiting patients ).