Gransnet forums

House and home

Following on from the "softly softly" thread, a question for you.

(94 Posts)
phoenix Tue 30-Aug-16 19:32:36

Evening all,

I noticed on the thread mentioned, that there were quite a few mentions of washing up.

I can be a bit pedantic (yes, really, who's have thought it!) about washing up, it has to be done in this order:

Glasses
Cutlery
Plates
Baking dishes/saucepans (these can be switched around, sometimes the saucepans are no prob, if they have just had peas, carrots etc, the baking dishes might have been used for lasagne etc, in which case they would go last.

Am I odd, or is this the way everyone does it?

aggie Tue 30-Aug-16 19:35:52

I bung all in the dishwasher , even the lasagne dish , might soak it for a while

fiorentina51 Tue 30-Aug-16 19:41:10

When I wash up, which isn't often as I now have a dishwasher, it is usually in the same order as you do it Phoenix.
I think it must have been the way I was taught at home as a child.
Not that my brother had the same training. It wasn't a man's job according to my (Italian) mother. He soon learnt otherwise when he got married!

merlotgran Tue 30-Aug-16 19:56:04

This is how I do it:

Open dishwasher door.

Remove a couple of clean plates that have probably been done at least three times.

Stand on one leg and shove in all the dirty stuff. My other foot has to ward off two Jack Russells who would otherwise climb in and lick the plates clean. This usually means DH thinks they've been done and swears he's helping by putting them back in the cupboard. shock

Grovel about under the sink looking for the dishwasher tabs.

Forget to switch it on.

Make myself scarce when DH can't find his favourite mug and reckons we're living in the dark ages - harrumphing and flouncing off to his shed when I remind him they didn't have dishwashers in the dark ages! This is after he's taken his mug out and washed it by hand so he can take his coffee with him.

Such fun grin

hildajenniJ Tue 30-Aug-16 20:02:24

My Granny told me that you wash the cutlery first as the water is hottest. Then the glasses etc. These days everything except the aluminium saucepans goes in the dishwasher.

MontanaGal Tue 30-Aug-16 20:11:50

Phoenix, the way you described is the same way I do it. I wish I had a dishwasher though.

phoenix Tue 30-Aug-16 20:20:11

merlot that made me grin , reminded me of when I helped out when a friend had a stroke, their 2 labradors and their cocker spaniel were especially helpful in that way!

Alas, we don't have a dishwasher, when we bought this house (unfinished new build) we had previously rented places with very limited kitchens. I looked at the wonderful run of units/cupboards in this kitchen and just thought of all the lovely cupboard space, and was reluctant to break up the "run", so to speak, so told the builder not to leave a gap for a dishwasher, bloody idiot that I am! I could have had an integral one put in, hindsight, 20/20 etc sad

thatbags Tue 30-Aug-16 20:22:47

If we use glasses, which is rare, then those are done separately and dried by MrBags because, if left to drain by themselves like everything else, they jump off the rack and smash themselves on the floor.

Otherwise, the cutlery goes in the bottom of the washing up bowl while it's filling with v hot water (too hot to out your hand in), then big plates, then smaller stuff. Get that stuff except the cutlery (first in last out) out the way then serving dishes. Then cutlery, then pans last. I wipe messy pots and pans with kitchen paper (that goes in the food recycling bin) before they go in the washing up so the water doesn't get too icky.

Chopping boards I do as soon as I've finished with them before we eat.

SueDonim Tue 30-Aug-16 20:49:00

I rarely hand wash now but when I do, it's glasses, then I put in the plates/bowls & cutlery, pulling out the cutlery last of all.

Then it's cooking dishes followed by saucepans. I'd usually have a sink of fresh water by this time, though.

I rinse or wipe off any food scraps first.

TriciaF Tue 30-Aug-16 20:49:59

Interesting! We don't have a dishwashing machine, but do have 2 big sinks. We usually soak things first, in cold water (after wiping the surplus off à la Bags).
Then in hot water - glasses first,then cutlery,plates , and last cooking pots.
I once knew someone who had 2 sinks - she used the first one for hot soapy water and the other just hot water for rinsing the soap off the pots etc. But can't be bothered with all that.

Jalima Tue 30-Aug-16 20:58:30

Yes, same order, although I do have a dishwasher now.
However, DH doesn't (despite several reminders) so I sometimes have to wash up again hmm
And he will wash plastics after greasy things and the grease sticks to the plastic so I have to re-wash them.
Then he leaves a bowlful of washing up water there ....
[grrr]. I think it's all a ploy so that I ban him from washing up.

Alima Tue 30-Aug-16 21:28:55

That is the way we wash up too. No dishwasher, think we are too impatient for one of those as well as not having enough crockery! Always clear as we go, can hear Mum's mantra ringing in my ears as I write that!

phoenix Tue 30-Aug-16 21:41:12

Goes without saying that we scrape and rinse before washing up! Couldn't be doing with "bits" floating about in the water!

Bleurgh/Yuk emoticon!

phoenix Tue 30-Aug-16 21:42:10

PS Last of all we rinse any recycling stuff.

Nelliemoser Tue 30-Aug-16 22:30:57

It sounds to me like the sense of washing up the dirtiest stuff first.
I do have a dish washer. The delight for me of that is you can often get away with washing up once a day and you get all these lovely dry pots to put away.

pensionpat Tue 30-Aug-16 23:28:49

Regarding dogs licking plates as you load. I count that as a pre-wash.

Jalima Tue 30-Aug-16 23:36:55

I always rinse first then rinse off the soapy suds with hot water, I thought everyone did that.
So using a dishwasher is probably more economical chez nous.

Synonymous Tue 30-Aug-16 23:57:57

We always rinse off everything before stacking for machine washing as neither of us can get down low enough to clean out the dishwasher. Well, I suppose we could get down because of gravity but getting back up would be impossible. hmm
We rinse everything off anyway even for washing up by hand as it is much more pleasant without the floaters.

ninathenana Wed 31-Aug-16 00:02:49

Slovenly person that I am I bung nearly everything in the dishwasher. Without rinsing shock.
Only exceptions are the best glasses and the roasting tins.

kittylester Wed 31-Aug-16 07:35:51

We had washing up lessons at school along with lessons on washing one's hairbrush.confused

Apparently glasses should be done first as the water is hottest and cleanest!

We have a dishwasher so the only things I actually hand wash are some glasses and wooden chopping boards. i must be really slovenly as I never presoak and barely pre wipe. blush

annsixty Wed 31-Aug-16 07:43:15

This is merely an observation and is not to be taken any other way but as I read this thread and the one previous, it occurred to me that phoenix and her H are the only couple I "know" who call each other "darling " in conversation. It is so not my circle of friends that I had a long think but can't think of any of them using the endearment.
Sorry to digress.

annsixty Wed 31-Aug-16 08:02:19

On second reflection I have decided my Northern roots are really showing as it is "love" in the as household.

NanaandGrampy Wed 31-Aug-16 08:06:28

well we're as southern as the day is long ann and its love here too . If I called Grampy 'darling' he'd look over his shoulder to see who I was talking too wink.

We have 2 dishwashers. One is called Grampy and the other is a machine. I don't know what methodology Grampy uses because I have my feet up , drinking coffee when he works his magic but the dishwasher stuff gets scraps in the compost bin, everything else slotted in and voila !!

Christinefrance Wed 31-Aug-16 08:43:56

Merlotgran your washing up description really made me laugh, thanks for cheering up my morning. I have 3 dogs one of which is a JR so can relate to you.

Greyduster Wed 31-Aug-16 08:59:54

It is rarely 'darling' with me (usually when I'm being sarcastic) and never with him. Usually 'dear' or 'love'. My d-i-l always calls DS 'darling'. We are all northerners. I am fussy about the way the dishwasher is stacked - hate the way DH does it (haphazardly). Everything is rinsed before it goes in. Only cheapie tumblers go in - all other glasses are washed by hand. I dug my heels in when we first thought about getting a dishwasher - I didn't want one - but we are on our second, and I wouldn't be without one now.