Gransnet forums

House and home

Should I buy clothes steamer?

(32 Posts)
trish29 Sat 24-Jun-23 19:44:11

I need to replace my iron and wondered whether a clothes steamer would be a good alternative. Any advice welcome.

Barleysugar Sat 24-Jun-23 19:54:19

Yes trish29 definitely if you seldom iron. I haven’t had or used an iron for at least 12 years, My steamer only comes out really for getting the creases out of my husbands linen shirts, or curtains steamed in situ. I wouldn’t recommend it for steaming a full basket of ironing though!

trish29 Sat 24-Jun-23 20:05:20

Should I buy a clothes steamer?
I need to replace my iron and wondered whether a steamer would be a good alternative. Has anyone used one and what do you think?

trish29 Sat 24-Jun-23 20:06:37

Ah that’s helpful! I am an occasional ironer so steamer may be ideal . Thanks!

Iam64 Sat 24-Jun-23 20:06:51

One of my daughters never irons. She has a syeamer

Iam64 Sat 24-Jun-23 20:07:03

Steamer 😂

Redrobin51 Sat 24-Jun-23 20:07:16

Fantastic for clothes but nit so good for larger items. I am very pleased I bought one.

Doodledog Sat 24-Jun-23 20:21:51

Are you talking about one of those cubicle things in which you hang up clothes, or a hand-held gadget that you run up and down the items?

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 24-Jun-23 20:32:58

I’ve used a steamer for sack loads of clothes and bedding items at the Charity shop, they are excellent and very easy to use.
They produce quite a lot of condensation and need to be cleaned out each week or water will start to smell in the container, when my iron packs up I will get one.

MerylStreep Sat 24-Jun-23 20:36:18

I use one in the charity shop but I still like to iron 😄

Pittcity Sat 24-Jun-23 22:31:31

I have a hand held one that is excellent on delicate items that can't be ironed. I have used it on curtains without needing to take them down. Also useful on holiday to freshen clothes up after unpacking.
I prefer an iron for everyday laundry though.

NotAGran55 Sun 25-Jun-23 06:46:13

My son and girlfriend don’t have an iron and use a steamer. They always look well turned out so it must work well.

Hetty58 Sun 25-Jun-23 07:48:49

My dil has one with a stand and doesn't own an iron. I very rarely iron anything so I'll replace my iron (and board) with a steamer - eventually (way down the list, though).

Chocgran Sun 25-Jun-23 07:49:26

I use a hand held steamer all the time now and won’t be taking the ironing board with us when we move. I steam garments on their hangers and bed linen on the bed. I tend to like quite casual clothing and my husband doesn’t wear formal work shirts etc so it’s perfect for us.

Doodledog Sun 25-Jun-23 08:00:13

Can anyone recommend a tried and tested one, please?

trish29 Sun 25-Jun-23 11:42:38

Thanks for your input everyone - you’ve convinced me to give the steamer a go. Does anyone have recommendations as to make and model?

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 25-Jun-23 13:54:50

I would go for one that has an upright stand on it, you hang the item on a clothes hanger onto the top of the stand and can manoeuvre it around with one hand and the steamer in the other.
It takes just seconds so do a shirt or trousers, then you can spin the hanger round and do the back if it needs it.
Mind you I’ve burned my hands with the steam a couple of times, so go carefully.

Maria59 Mon 26-Jun-23 11:39:02

I have one for holidays and it is great.
Also use it to steam dry clean only clothes and heavy coats. Not sure how it would fair with a large basket of ironing.

monkeywings123 Mon 26-Jun-23 12:43:42

Got this 1 recently . . Only about £25 . . Found it to be perfectly adequate . .

midgey Mon 26-Jun-23 12:49:33

Gave my daughter one from Aldi, she is very pleased with it.

Barleysugar Mon 26-Jun-23 13:07:48

I have a Fridja which I purchased about 4 years ago. It was quite expensive, around £50 if my memory serves me correct, but it is vety efficient.

Millieangel Mon 26-Jun-23 13:44:21

Tefal is really good. Love mine!!

ourjude Mon 26-Jun-23 13:53:05

I'm another one who has steamed for years. I was converted when I used to work in a charity shop that had one. I find an iron too heavy to hold these days so am glad I switched.

Mine has a tank with a hose coming off it to the steamer 'head'. It has a pole that with hanger attachment and clips to hang trousers. Although I never use that as I steam a lot in one go so I have a collapsible clothes rail that I put everything on.

It has different steam settings too.

It is a Morphy Richards and to save a few pennies I got it 'buy now' on a certain auction site {wink}

Susan55 Mon 26-Jun-23 14:00:33

I thought I would replace my steam iron for a steamer last year but after trying it once, I decided I would stick with my steam iron. Far easier! I found the clothes steamer too much hassle to be worth the bother. I was quite surprised to read that some people get on with them!

Lemongrass14 Mon 26-Jun-23 14:29:47

To those who owns a clothes steamer, after steaming your clothes, does it not feel dampish…or is it dry as a bone. I would love to own one too …