Gransnet forums

House and home

Advice please. How often do others wash their duvets and pillows?

(93 Posts)
Tinygranma Sat 13-Jan-24 11:17:57

Good morning to all you wise Gransnetters! I used to take my duvets and pillows to the launderette on a yearly basis. Covid
put a stop to that and as the cost has risen considerably I air them on the line in the garden as they are too big to fit in my washing machine. My family who stayed for three weeks over Christmas have now left so I have just hung the duvets out. I was wondering what other gransnetters do with their duvets and pillows? They have all had covers on them which I have already washed and dried. Hope you all have a good day!

Mel1967 Sat 13-Jan-24 11:29:22

I change my bedding once a fortnight, but apart from that I don’t wash or dry clean duvets or pillows, just replace them when they look too unsavoury.

MiniMoon Sat 13-Jan-24 11:39:40

Usually wash duvets once a year. I take them to our local launderette to wash, then dry outside in the garden. My pillows have protectors so I launder those, not the pillows.

tanith Sat 13-Jan-24 11:54:50

I don’t wash my thicker duvet just air it on the line the thinner one, pillows and protectors are washed in the machine.

Ailidh Sat 13-Jan-24 12:04:24

I change the bedding once a fortnight. The duvet and the pillow are wool filled, I'm kind of hoping they're sort of self-cleansing.

Urmstongran Sat 13-Jan-24 12:07:31

Surely by our age we ought to have this sussed.

Boz Sat 13-Jan-24 12:15:08

I have changed completely to coverless duvets. The whole thing goes into the wash; then draped over a line or over an ironing board in my case, until dry. They are all synthetic and dry fabulously quickly with no ironing. We have different weights for the Seasons with my own preference being the light summer one all year as they are very, very warm.
I recently took mine on holiday as now cannot bear the weight and bulk of traditional duvets. Nightowl sell the best.

crazyH Sat 13-Jan-24 12:16:24

Wash the duvet covers, pillowcases and fitted sheet, once a fortnight, but not duvets . Airing duvets out on the line, on a nice warm summer’s day , would be nice. Will do it this summer.

Callistemon21 Sat 13-Jan-24 12:39:09

I air the winter duvet before I pack it away and ditto the summer duvet. Likewise if someone has been to stay.

Single ones are just about washable in my machine but if duvets are getting on a bit I pass them on to the dogs' rescue place and buy new.

silverlining48 Sat 13-Jan-24 12:45:34

In Europe duvets and the big square pillowed they use are or were always put on open windows to air, as most people live in flats so don’t habe a garden.
Very occasionally on a nice warm breezy day I put duvets on the line to air and pillows on the windowsill by an Open window,
mostly don’t though smile

RosiesMaw Sat 13-Jan-24 13:09:35

Urmstongran

Surely by our age we ought to have this sussed.

That was my immediate reaction!
It makes no difference to me after 50+ years of “running” a home, whether other people hang their duvets out of the windows like continental European hotels, take them to the dry cleaners or like Queen Elizabeth I wash annually “wether she need it or no”
Do you really need to know OP?

crazyH Sat 13-Jan-24 13:15:23

OP was just asking. Isn’t this a discussion forum ?

Juliet27 Sat 13-Jan-24 13:16:59

Obviously the OP did want to know. Perhaps she was concerned that she should be dealing with bedding differently.
Don’t condemn her for enquiring.

Llamedos13 Sat 13-Jan-24 13:21:51

I was also interested as I have a goose down duvet that I have had for years and it cost me a small fortune when I bought it. It has never been cleaned, always has a cover on top. The question did make me think is it time I got a new one🤔 because I don’t think it is washable. Hmm, anyone here ever washed a feather duvet?

Tinygranma Sat 13-Jan-24 13:22:53

Thanks for your advice everyone. The coverless ones sound a brilliant idea Boz! Thank you for that advice. Urmstongram and RosiesMaw, I thought I had it sussed until the prices in the launderette went up. Thank you crazyH, that's exactly what I thought too!!

Tinygranma Sat 13-Jan-24 13:25:16

Thank you Juliet27 😊

Tinygranma Sat 13-Jan-24 13:28:12

Llamedos13, yes I have. (at the Launderette!) You have to use the dryers as you would pillows to make sure they are perfectly dry. I also hung it on the line afterwards to get the air through them.

Tinygranma Sat 13-Jan-24 13:38:32

I've decided to unsubscribe from Gransnet. I've been thinking about it for some time because there always seems to be some smart alec who's waiting to give a sarcastic answer. You know who you are. Why can't people just be nice? 👋

fancythat Sat 13-Jan-24 13:38:49

Guest pillows - the pillowcases I wash frequently. Eventually go to multiple covers.
Then throw pillows early, as have never found a successful, non expensive way to wash them.

Duvets - hand wash in bath.

fancythat Sat 13-Jan-24 13:40:44

I wouldnt do that Tinygrnama.
Up to you of course.

Sometimes, I can be surprised who has done a "smart alec" comment.
I sometimes think that that person may just be having a bad day.

News and Politics forum though - a different matter!

Oreo Sat 13-Jan-24 13:56:08

tanith

I don’t wash my thicker duvet just air it on the line the thinner one, pillows and protectors are washed in the machine.

Same here, but the pillows aren’t washed more than once a year, or the Summer duvet.Pillow protectors, the thick quilted kind are washed once a month and bedding is changed weekly.
All my duvets and pillows are filled with fibre not feathers.

Norah Sat 13-Jan-24 14:03:54

I wash top and bottom sheets and cases at least weekly, air the wool blanket, duvet, and bedspread. All one day, early to late. Done.

However, I use a tumble dryer - easy.

Llamedos13 Sat 13-Jan-24 14:08:00

Tinygranma, don't let a couple of not so helpful responses upset you, there were more useful replies.

crazyH Sat 13-Jan-24 14:11:15

OP - I hope you haven’t left.

JaneJudge Sat 13-Jan-24 14:26:23

Don’t leave! I could discuss laundry all day 😂

I air mine outside in the summer. If any of them look grubby I put them through a wash as we have a 10kg drum