Gransnet forums

House and home

Washer dryer? Thinking about 'investing' in one

(29 Posts)
Jackaranda Thu 22-Feb-24 17:49:44

Our DS and family are short of space but a tumble dryer would really help with the washing a young family creates.
The machines seem to have a high energy rating (E).
Any hints/tips/suggestions gratefully received ......

Grandmafrench Thu 22-Feb-24 17:59:42

Shortage of space might be dealt with by having a washing machine and a separate dryer with the dryer stacked above the washer? I would avoid a Washer/Dryer, especially for a young family with lots of laundry. Normally it's difficult to dry a full wash load, washing tends to need sorting and items removed to enable even drying; and of course, whilst clothes are being dried, further laundry cannot be done. My experience is that the whole process is slowed by using the one machine for both.
I was relieved to go back to separate machines again!

Fairislecable Thu 22-Feb-24 18:06:53

My mother had a washer dryer and it washed OK but she had to tumble dry a half load at a time and it took a long time to dry.

She wished she had never bought it.

Knittynatter Thu 22-Feb-24 18:09:48

Another that wouldn’t buy a washer dryer again. Takes too long, the dryer isn’t as efficient as a separate dryer and if one part breaks down then they are both out of action!

Sago Thu 22-Feb-24 18:14:20

They do neither job properly, I am currently staying in our holiday let, we don’t have capacity for a washer and a dryer.
It has taken 2.5 hours to dry some towels.
You can’t just pop something in for a few minutes to dry off, the machine locks as it would on a wash cycle.
I hate it.

DollyD Thu 22-Feb-24 18:28:25

I feel exactly as the others.
Bought a washer/dryer and I just couldn’t live with it, absolutely useless.
Went back to separate washer and dryer after only about 6 months.

Witzend Thu 22-Feb-24 18:29:37

My dd with babies/small children, lots of washing and no room for a separate dryer, would often use a heated rack from Lakeland.

Farmor15 Thu 22-Feb-24 18:44:38

I've always had one but only use the dryer occasionally. We have an old fashioned "pulley line" in a high ceilinged kitchen which we use in winter and outside line when weather is suitable. Dryer part of washing machine only used to finish damp things after outside drying or if a few small items wanted in a hurry.
Agree with others who say that they would not be suitable for young family with lots of washing.

Casdon Thu 22-Feb-24 19:06:08

I’ve got a great washer/dryer, it’s just as good as two separate machines and it dries in the same time too. You can also programme it to wash then dry, so put dirty clothes in and get clean dry ones out. I don’t dry in it all the time, because I like to hang stuff outside when possible, but I could if I needed to. It’s fairly new, I’m not sure if people are describing ones they have had in the past. It’s a Bosch Serie 4.

SueDonim Thu 22-Feb-24 19:18:40

We’ve had a combined W/D in a flat and my dd has one in her flat. They’re really not much cop, as someone says, they don’t work at all well.

Would your DS have room for a smaller TD, maybe in a cupboard so it could be wheeled out? Obviously it won’t dry as much as a regular one but it could be useful. There are several on the market.

www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/ct/laundry/tumble-dryers/small-slimline

www.headingleydomesticsltd.co.uk/store/3-5-KG-COMPACT-TUMBLE-DRYER-p77503666

Aveline Thu 22-Feb-24 19:21:45

We have a washer dryer and are very pleased with it. It's an Indesit.

Redrobin51 Thu 22-Feb-24 19:29:55

My friend bought one when she loved on her own. She found that it would only properly dry half a load so would be an extremely slow process for a family. You also have a half load of extremely wet washing to contend with. I think the suggestion of having a washer with a dryer on top is the best solution.

maddyone Thu 22-Feb-24 19:32:40

I’ve never wanted a washer dryer for all the reasons above, but it’s interesting that both Casdon and Aveline find their’s to be very good.

Jackaranda Thu 22-Feb-24 19:55:07

Thank you everyone - lots of good thoughts there. I had one years ago and found it a big compromise - I was hoping more up to date ones were an improvement. So it's good to know some of you are happy with yours, I'll pass on your tips.

DS and family live in a new build with a compact kitchen so no space to stack machines on top of each other or sadly, to wheel one out. No garage either!

We have a washing machine in the kitchen and a tumble drier in the garage which works well for us.

JackyB Fri 23-Feb-24 08:32:21

I agree with everyone that it is not a good idea. We had one when we were first married and the first 2 children were small. Although I think the dryer part eventually gave up the ghost and we could only use it as a washing machine.

There is a further disadvantage - there are 2 motors in the thing making it extremely heavy to move.

A tumble dryer stacked over a washing machine doesn't take up any more floor space than a single double-duty appliance.

Shrub Fri 23-Feb-24 09:00:01

I’m very pleased with mine, it’s a Siemens. I only use the dryer very occasionally and usually only to finish towels or bedding off. The washing cycles work very well.

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 23-Feb-24 09:22:41

In the past I've sited a dryer upstairs (with the hose available to pop out of a window, in a conservatory (vented) and know some people have theirs in a garage. So, if you're short on space in the kitchen sometimes it's possible to put on elsewhere. Might be a good option Jackaranda.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Feb-24 09:24:49

Some work much better than others.

You would need to really shop around, because some can take hours, and just leave you with a pile of steaming, damp washing when they're finished.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Feb-24 09:29:58

Hiscense, Hoover H, Samsung all get good reviews and arent too expensive.

kibera10 Fri 23-Feb-24 09:39:03

I have a Hoover washer /dryer and am happy with it but there's only two of us now. I previously had a separate tumble dryer which was far better at drying but when this finally developed problems - after more than 30 years of use - I changed to the washer/dryer.

BigBertha1 Fri 23-Feb-24 09:44:40

I would have said don't have a washer dryer as past experience (a long while ago) agreed with the comments here BUT we moved into the new house last year and I am amazed at the efficiency of the washer dryer here and its so quiet. It is a Zanussi not sure of the model number but if anyone is interested I will look it up. I do find you have to be a bit strategic and not change all the beds on the same day as wanting to do the family wash but so far so good.

Glorianny Fri 23-Feb-24 09:46:05

I had one and didn't like it for all the reasons already stated. Mine didn't cope with large quantities of clothes when drying. I think that will still be important for anyone with young children when there tends to be more washing. They may have changed, but definitely check how much it dries in comparison to wash load.. If you have to sort and hang up half the washing it's just as bad as doing it all.

Doodledog Fri 23-Feb-24 09:55:14

I have one and love it. It doesn't dry as much as it washes, which is a pain sometimes, but I only dry what I have to anyway, so it only matters when it's raining and the heated airer is not big enough to hold everything.

The big advantage (apart from space) is that you can put in a (smaller) load of washing and have it dry when you get in/get up in the morning. That was a godsend when I had children who needed PE kits or uniforms at short notice and I was working. I could save the bigger loads for weekends.

For various logistical reasons I can't do this, and with two of us I don't really need it any more, but I think the best combo for a family would be to have a washer/dryer and a separate tumble dryer, so that you keep the 'all in one' option but can also dry in one machine as you wash in the other.

Mine is a Bosch, too.

Urmstongran Fri 23-Feb-24 10:03:26

I’m really happy with our John Lewis washer dryer we had it almost 14 years now. It’s quiet too! When the dryer needed a repair last year the washer was still good to use in the interim.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Feb-24 12:57:22

kibera10

I have a Hoover washer /dryer and am happy with it but there's only two of us now. I previously had a separate tumble dryer which was far better at drying but when this finally developed problems - after more than 30 years of use - I changed to the washer/dryer.

That is the one I plumped for, BUT bu the time I'd made my head spin (pardon the pun) constantly cross referencing reviews and prices, I actually made a big mistake and ordered just the washing machine. blush