Gransnet forums

House and home

Spring clean

(58 Posts)
Grandadpete Tue 05-Mar-24 09:58:04

As a painter and decorator of over 45 years, I have noticed customers houses have become more dusty when we arrive, seems the big spring clean doesn't happen anymore and it's only when we arrive that furniture starts getting moved around and we have to spend time cleaning first .
I remember as a child I hated the spring clean , mother would have the house upside down for a week or two
Seems the modern household is too busy or times have just changed ?

fancythat Tue 05-Mar-24 10:09:10

Of the people I know, I would say that more cleaning is likely to happen in Jan and Feb nowadays.
Then people are freer to enjoy the better weather.

Haivng said that, amongst the younger people I know, I am not even sure they have heard of the words "spring clean".
Not that their houses need it necessarily, as they move around so much. Into rental properities, or recently moved into a new home.

MissAdventure Tue 05-Mar-24 10:19:22

I think times have changed, and having a pristine home is no longer seen as something to strive for.
People have found other, more interesting things to do.

Georgesgran Tue 05-Mar-24 10:37:54

Times have well and truly changed pete. I think your phrase starting with ‘Mother’ says it all - most women are working now and major work as such are jointly taken.

Redhead56 Tue 05-Mar-24 10:41:58

I watched my paternal gran stand over my mum while she scrubbed the front steps I was only about five. As young as I was I remember thinking I would never be a slave to housework.
I usually do a good clear up as my mum did before and after Christmas when everything is put away. In the summer my dad would give all the windows a good clean and change the net curtains. In general the house was well kept as each child had a job to do no matter how old we were.
Our house has been getting renovated top to bottom so everything is being sorted and cleared for new plaster paint furnishings etc. The rooms that are finished are now neat tidy and dust free getting rid of unnecessary ornaments books etc helped.

Eloethan Tue 05-Mar-24 10:47:41

I don't Spring clean as such. I do big clean ups every so often.

However, I am retired and have the time to do this. When I was younger, with children, I spent a lot of time keeping the house nice, clothes washed and ironed, home-cooked meals, etc., on top of working. I am not proud of that. Now I realise I spent very little time playing with my children or chatting with them. I was always too busy. My daughter died two years ago and so I very much regret that our house, when she was young, was probably not a very fun place. There are more important things to attend to than housework.

posset Tue 05-Mar-24 11:07:20

Eloethan

I don't Spring clean as such. I do big clean ups every so often.

However, I am retired and have the time to do this. When I was younger, with children, I spent a lot of time keeping the house nice, clothes washed and ironed, home-cooked meals, etc., on top of working. I am not proud of that. Now I realise I spent very little time playing with my children or chatting with them. I was always too busy. My daughter died two years ago and so I very much regret that our house, when she was young, was probably not a very fun place. There are more important things to attend to than housework.

So very sorry to read about your daughter. Don't beat yourself up about when she was young, it was as it was and I'm sure she hardly felt a lack of anything. Having said that, I lost a daughter quite a few years ago and I know the guilt feelings of what I could have done better.

Witzend Tue 05-Mar-24 11:09:49

I thought actual spring cleaning had more or less died out - wasn’t it related to the mess and dust from coal fires, before most people had central heating?

foxie48 Tue 05-Mar-24 11:14:28

Grandadpete you would be proud of me as I've been cleaning the floor in the kitchen, on my hands and knees with wire wool and a scrubbing brush. I found it remarkably therapeutic but it is taking a long time. I also noticed the skirting boards needed a clean, the kick boards could do with a wipeover. That's the trouble with cleaning, it just makes everything else look dirty so best avoided.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Mar-24 11:18:41

Witzend

I thought actual spring cleaning had more or less died out - wasn’t it related to the mess and dust from coal fires, before most people had central heating?

That’s what I thought. I try to keep on top of things but have never done a spring clean.

shysal Tue 05-Mar-24 11:30:24

I am retired and have the time, but not the inclination. I do the bare minimum of housework all year round. In fact during lockdown I vacuumed up the cats' hairs when they were moulting, but didn't do any dusting at all! Quentin Crisp comes to mind!

shysal Tue 05-Mar-24 11:34:15

!

Witzend Tue 05-Mar-24 11:48:21

shysal

I am retired and have the time, but not the inclination. I do the bare minimum of housework all year round. In fact during lockdown I vacuumed up the cats' hairs when they were moulting, but didn't do any dusting at all! Quentin Crisp comes to mind!

I find that invariably leaving off my glasses when I don’t need them for reading, is very helpful for failing to notice dust.
(Where’s the lazy-baggage emoji?)

AGAA4 Tue 05-Mar-24 11:53:33

My mum used to spring clean. Curtains, blankets and any other washable items were cleaned. Paintwork was wiped down and walls dusted. She hoovered and dusted every room every day.
I don't do any of those things but keep things reasonably clean.

keepingquiet Tue 05-Mar-24 11:55:03

I put a lot of my present good health to finally getting to grips with my dusty house. It was like Miss Havisham's. Now I give it a good vacuum every week and surprsingly, it doesn't take long!

Also I have started to take down winter curtains as they can get very dusty over winter, and put up much lighter ones.

I think it is a good ritual to mark the coming change.

Doodledog Tue 05-Mar-24 12:02:20

Witzend

That's how I see it. My parents decorated every couple of years, because coal fires and cigarette smoke made the place look grimy quickly. These days there is less of a need.

Also, more fabrics are machine washable, so people can keep on top of things all year round, and don't have to set aside a week or two to take down curtains and strip cushions etc. We can even wash duvets in the machine, so don't have to struggle with heavy candlewick bedspreads and woollen blankets.

And yes - it's no longer the role of 'Mother' to do it all grin.

Casdon Tue 05-Mar-24 12:03:09

I think it’s pretty inconsiderate not to clean first when decorators are coming to your house to do work, it’s not part of their job to clean behind and under your dusty furniture unless agreed with them in advance to do that because you aren’t able to, so you do have my sympathy Grandadpete.

Doodledog Tue 05-Mar-24 12:06:11

That's true, Casdon. My decorator has a clause in the contract that says any necessary cleaning will be charged on top of the decorating rate, which is fair enough.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Mar-24 12:07:50

I agree. When we had our house decorated recently I made sure it was spotless beforehand.

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 05-Mar-24 12:10:43

I was watching a podcast from Cass of Clutterbug fame and she reminded me that the same benefits felt when practicing meditation are also felt after cleaning!
Apparently dopamine is released thus ensuring one feels less stressed and happiergrin. And you get a clean home .Win-win!
I do actually feel quite jolly with a mop or cloth come to think of it.......

PinkCosmos Tue 05-Mar-24 12:21:32

Witzend - I find that invariably leaving off my glasses when I don’t need them for reading, is very helpful for failing to notice dust.

I wear glasses for reading but not when I am just around the house. I had them on in the kitchen the other day to read a label. I was shocked at the dust on the top edge of the tiles, the marks on the cupboards etc. I just couldn't any of this without my glasses on. I thought my house was clean!

I am embarrassed to think other people have seen what I couldn't see. I wear my reading glasses when I am cleaning nowadays.

I can't say I enjoy cleaning but it is always satisfying to have a lovely clean (and tidy) house.

AlwaysSmiling Tue 05-Mar-24 12:29:49

I have lived alone since my husband died 10 years ago and find that I do not have to spring clean because nothing gets dirty. I dust and vacuum all the rooms weekly.

If I know my family are coming to stay overnight etc. I ensure that everything is dusted and vacuumed again judst to make sure.

I have a filter on my central heating system and it never needs cleaning and when I ask the engineer why, when he services it for me every year, he says, you have a very clean, dust free house. I could honestly go a month before seeing a small amount of dust and I have no idea why. I don't have pets so that may help.

Sago Tue 05-Mar-24 12:32:09

Not many households have a stay at home parent/partner to take a fortnight to spring clean.

Claretjan Tue 05-Mar-24 12:34:24

shysal

A woman after my own heart Shysal! Glad I'm not the only one.

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Mar-24 12:38:29

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, Eloethan. I had noticed you hadn't been posting for a while. If it's any consolation, I'm sure she appreciated having a Mum who cooked good meals, made sure her clothes were clean and that she had a nice clean bed to sleep in, and that she knew that you loved her. Many children are not as fortunate as yours were.