Gransnet forums

House and home

Terraced houses

(30 Posts)
wot Mon 30-May-16 20:10:53

Dan Cruickshank program on telly about the history of terraced houses. My favourite subject!

Marelli Mon 30-May-16 20:16:39

Must try and get this on catch-up. Love programmes like that, too. smile

wot Mon 30-May-16 20:23:17

Glad I'm not th only one!!!! Might seem a strange interest for a woman.

varian Mon 30-May-16 21:02:10

You're not the only one, wot. There are now over 7500 female registered architects an increase of 3000 in the last ten years so although it is still a very male dominated profession quire a lot of women are interested in buildings and some of us are grannies

Tegan Mon 30-May-16 21:15:18

Missed it; will watch it on Catchup.Love Dan Cruickshank's programmes.Annoyingly it isn't repeated later tonight like most BBC4 programmes.

wot Mon 30-May-16 21:29:40

Dear Dan's always so enthusiastic and shows his passion for the subject!!

Marelli Mon 30-May-16 23:17:27

Caught it on catch-up! Really good programme. Also watched last week's episode (The Cottage).
Dan Cruikshank's so easy to watch and explains things wonderfully. smile

M0nica Tue 31-May-16 10:54:22

Why is architecture a strange interest for a woman?

Tegan Tue 31-May-16 11:07:21

I think she might mean an interest in terraced houses. I don't understand why so many have been pulled down over the years, the only problem being the lack of parking and that could be resolved by knocking a few down to crest parking space. I know they were trying to save a lot of terraced houses in Newcastle a while back; not sure what the outcome was.

wot Tue 31-May-16 11:26:38

Yes, Tegan, that is what I meant: an interest in terraced houses and the social environment of them. Your idea of car park is good! Wish I had the ability to be an architect as buildings have always interested me.

M0nica Tue 31-May-16 11:32:53

I still do not understand why an interest in terrace houses should be a strange issue for a woman.

I have been fascinated by domestic architecture since I was a child and nobody has ever found this interest strange, on the contrary, it has been thought a very appropriate interest for a woman!!

wot Tue 31-May-16 11:45:03

Oh, sorry. Perhaps I am bogged down by an old fashioned, ill informed ideia of women's opportunities and am classing everybody in the same educational level as myself. I've always been interested in women's domestic lives and their environments. I don't know the label for that.

wot Tue 31-May-16 12:22:29

I've just Googled 'domestic architecture' lots to read. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Monica!

M0nica Tue 31-May-16 14:55:00

Wot I know some very ignorant ill-informed 'well educated' people and some extremely well informed and interesting people who never reached any kind of educational level at all. One should never judge a book by its cover.

wot Tue 31-May-16 14:58:49

I suppose it comes down to whether people have got any curiosity in things that are not entirely mundane.. then they will educate themselves in the subject? I am fed up today. No fun in my life at all.

durhamjen Tue 31-May-16 15:07:31

My husband was an architect. Most of the houses we lived in were terraced houses, because of the environmental impact.

wot Tue 31-May-16 15:30:22

Sorry, I went off the subject of thist thread. Should have been under the no fun one

hulahoop Tue 31-May-16 15:31:41

Really good program have lived in terrace houses first one when I was growing up had outside toilet hated it !! Lived in nice through terrace when we got married over it !!

Tegan Tue 31-May-16 15:32:06

When visiting National Trust properties I always head for the kitchens and servants quarters, knowing that that's where I would have been.....

wot Tue 31-May-16 15:37:55

At least outside toilets had good ventilation! Our house in Hove had had a bathroom installed in a back bedroom but the outside one was still there. The plumbing just joined up with kitchen sink, I suppose

durhamjen Tue 31-May-16 16:33:56

That's what I always say, Tegan, when people enthuse over Jane Austen. I would have been the one cleaning the grates.

whitewave Tue 31-May-16 16:44:33

We live in a terraced house. We bought it when we were young and made the decision not to move when we really could have more than afforded it. We chose instead to live relatively cheaply. We also have super neighbours with whom we have good times likes meals, parties Christmas get together and days out.
We have recently made another decision not to move recently, but instead we are elderly proofing the house in the hope that we live long enough to appreciate it.

wot Tue 31-May-16 16:52:26

That sounds idyllic, Whitewave, especially being ,down south,! Terraced houses are much cosier, too.

varian Tue 31-May-16 19:42:55

Terrace houses and semis have a lot going for them. As DJ says they have good environmental credentials yet the volume developers insist on pandering to snobbery by building tiny detached houses so close together that you have to be very skinny to walk round.

Cybermonster Thu 01-Sep-22 07:32:21

God, I just love everything to do with buildings and architecture. I literally have an entire children's room at my parents' house filled with these legos... It's funny how that fascination has completely carried over into my adult life. Now I am an architect and I design large and complex buildings, although, of course, it does not look as cool as many people imagine. Mostly I just work with a software development company gives with whom we do projects on the computer, but it's still incredibly interesting.