Gransnet forums

News & politics

David Cameron this morning, the economy...etc

(7 Posts)
Oxon70 Mon 02-Jan-12 19:17:47

So Britain will be 'brought up to strength' by us holding the Olympics and celebrating the current Jubilee....uh? Well, that's what Cameron said.

An interviewer on BBC this morning said 'I went to watch the fireworks on New Year's Eve, and people round me were saying 'I wonder what this lot cost?'

Seems to me that the country is in a situation something like that of a family which, while trying very hard to deal with enormous debts and a mortgage, and with some of its members unemployed or not sure how long their jobs will last, has its head of the family deciding to hold two great big parties this year and spend yet more amazing amounts of money on them....

I don't get it.

Cyril Tue 03-Jan-12 00:35:47

You are not alone Oxon 70. It sounds very much like the economics of the madhouse, but European plans for unity have caused so very many problems that few countries can now act independently. We as a country are not allowed to act in our own best intestests.

A case in point is our borders and the lack of control we are allowed to use actually being applied by those who are supposed to be vetting the immigrants. To save money they do not do the full checks, leaving the inhabitants of the country who are paying tax to pick up the bills for one department saving money for the benefit of their own budget at cost to everyone else's.

There was a time when we Britishers were known for; playing the white man;my word is my bond; a deal agreed by handshake; back bone and stiff upper lip. Now the 'my right' brigade have so distorted people's minds that 'my right' is all they are willing to consider, totally ignoring that every man and his wife is working to the same creed. That leaves not many aware that there is such a thing as responsibility and consequence. Wake up England. Start educating our children in a more realistic way. Praise where it is due and also reprimand where it is due and let children know that either response is an earned response so that we do not grow another generation of me, me, me, people. sad

susiecb Tue 03-Jan-12 09:39:05

DC said something like 'its hard for the young to get jobs and family budgets are stretched'. he then said 'I get it!' in such a way that made me think Yeah I know all that so what I have bigger fish to fry stop going on about it. I wanted him to say 'I'm doing something about it', but he didnt. I do wish he would stop trying to be so right on.

Oxon70 Tue 03-Jan-12 10:38:05

Dunno what you expect of this lot....

absentgrana Tue 03-Jan-12 10:50:33

Did anyone else see that chap on the television at the weekend who was "explaining" numbers by breaking down huge numbers to do with debt, the economy, etc. into sums that made sense to people like me? He calculated that the predicted economic benefit to the country of the Olympic Games works out at £12 per person – and that's only if the predictions are right.

kittylester Tue 03-Jan-12 12:36:13

I saw him absentgrana and it did help. I suppose the way to look at it is that the Olympics makes us £12 each less in debt that we were. If my husband reads this he will accuse me of being "Mrs Gambol" smile

greenmossgiel Tue 03-Jan-12 13:25:46

A Freudian slip maybe, but with my usual scattiness I read the title of the David Cameron thread, and scrolled down to 'Thinning Lips'.....I read it as 'Thieving Tips'...well, if he doesn't know, who will? hmm