Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can anyone explain all these donations?

(7 Posts)
Granb Wed 25-Apr-12 09:24:42

I have to admit to being somewhat confused by all the donations that have poured into the justgiving website of that poor marathon runner. She does sound a very caring person and was doing a truly wonderful thing but... (and please do not shoot me down for asking) why do so many people feel compelled to contribute?

This may be coloured by my own recent loss but all I can think about is that her parents have now lost two children in absolute tragic circumstances and my heart goes out to them

imjingl Wed 25-Apr-12 09:28:06

I do know what you mean. I suppose they want to make sure her death was not in vain. It's almost like 'supporting' her in her absence.

Riverwalk Wed 25-Apr-12 09:48:35

I think people are just touched by the fact that she was so young and running for The Samaritans in memory of her brother. She was also rather lovely-looking so her pictures have attracted attention.

Maybe those who hadn't sponsored anyone in the Marathon or were due to give something to charity felt compelled to do so.

Let's hope her family are finding some comfort in this.

susiecb Wed 25-Apr-12 10:08:54

I think a lot of other runners (like my daughter) have donated as it shocked and scared them.

crimson Wed 25-Apr-12 10:38:26

I think it just highlights what an incredibly caring nation of people we are, and I'm very proud of that fact. Also a case of 'there but for the grace of God...'; perhaps part of us feels it may safeguard us and our loved ones if we give to it.

POGS Wed 25-Apr-12 22:27:37

I think people just feel it is a nice thing to do.

I think her parents will get a lot of comfort from the kindness people have shown. The poor souls lost their son as well, it's just so very tragic. I am sure after the terrible shock they must be in, their daughters memory will remind them how much empathy and love there is in this sometimes horrible world.

glammanana Wed 25-Apr-12 22:42:16

They must be an incredibly strong and caring family and must be devastated by what has happened surely in the normal scheme of things these parents would never have expected to loose their children.The amount of donations just proves how everyone is showing their warmth towards the work of The Samaritans .