Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wasp waist Keira

(9 Posts)
rockgran Thu 06-Mar-14 09:42:19

Is it just me or does she look really weird in that dress. I love to see a slim waist but to me this is not very attractive - just strange.
(Not a problem I'll be having anytime soon.) cupcake

shysal Thu 06-Mar-14 12:00:35

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/10678020/Keira-Knightleys-waist-sensation-lets-not-be-waspish.html
Weird in my opinion. At the age of 18 my waist measured 18 inches. These days it is not far off double that!
K.K. always looks rather gaunt in my opinion. envy

Gally Thu 06-Mar-14 12:10:11

Yes, weird but the saggy baggy top accentuates the small waist. Kate Middleton has an equally tiny waist. I don't ever remember having a tiny waist [sigh]

JessM Thu 06-Mar-14 12:19:53

I'd say it was photoshopped to exaggerate the effect. Easy to do and its done all the time. Its also the design and the colour contrast that exaggerates the difference.
To achieve a small waist you have to start with a body in which there is a gap between the rib cage and the top of the pelvis. Many people have little or no space there. Rumour has it that victorians sometimes had a rib or two removed.
Whatever, it is a stupid dress and an image that just feeds the insecurities of the young.

POGS Thu 06-Mar-14 13:44:25

Shysal

Me too, I had an 18" waist. sad. At least I lost it through enjoying life and being happy.

It's just fashion really isn't it. Might have been uncomfortable to sit in that dress though.
She is such a pretty girl she would look good in a bin bag. Jealous, moi.

BAnanas Thu 06-Mar-14 17:27:37

Keira, who incidentally went to the same school as my children, is naturally very slender some people are just lucky like that. The dress is a bit of an optical illusion I thought I was seeing things at first didn't really like it at all. A 23 inch waist seems tiny by today's standards but wouldn't have been that small in the Victorian era although they put themselves through torture to achieve that ideal. We are so lucky to be women today for many reasons including our choice of clothes!

rosequartz Thu 06-Mar-14 18:24:43

Strange dress, but is a 23.5" waist so unusual in a girl who has not had babies? It seemed to be fairly normal when I was younger although I thought mine was huge at about 25" to 26" compared to some of my friends, who were more slender.

rockgran Thu 06-Mar-14 20:13:45

I don't think a small waist is bad in itself, it is just that weird dress that bothers me.

absent Fri 07-Mar-14 00:22:12

Surely the standard measurements when we were young (1950s, 60s and 70s) were hips 2 inches larger than the bust and waist 10 inches smaller than the hips e.g. 32 (bust) 24 (waist) and 34 (hips). I think that would have been a size 10. No doubt there were many people, then as now, who didn't fit the fashion norm.