Gransnet forums

News & politics

South West back on track!

(10 Posts)
Atqui Fri 04-Apr-14 18:58:43

Hurrah for our newly connected railway, and thanks to all those who worked hard to restore it.

Experigran Fri 04-Apr-14 19:34:56

I've just seen that on the news. What a marvellous example of engineering, teamwork and hard work. Well done all those that were involved, they all deserve a medal.

Ariadne Fri 04-Apr-14 20:32:56

So glad! Dawlish is a lovely seaside town too, and deserves a bit of publicity.

rosesarered Fri 04-Apr-14 20:38:39

Never visited Dawlish, it just used to be one of the places that you passed in the train [wasn't there a Dawlish Warren as well?]
It's good to see that things can be achieved when the will [and the money] is there.

numberplease Fri 04-Apr-14 21:48:56

They`ve done a fantastic job, especially in the time. I`ve been to Dawlish, but it was a long, long time ago, when the kids were young. I remember the stream down the main street with black swans swimming on it, are they still there, their descendants anyway?

grannyactivist Sat 05-Apr-14 01:28:43

Hooray - my son is at university in Plymouth so I wonder if he may come home for a quick visit at Easter now that he can get the train again.

yogagran Sat 05-Apr-14 04:44:17

That's really good news and actually opened on time too, everyone concerned has done an amazing job. I use this line just two or three times a year and it is always the best part of the journey

Atqui Sat 05-Apr-14 10:02:30

I live just outside plymouth and like going go London by train. I've had to put off going as couldn't be bothered with the relief buses.
I'm sure there are many others like me . Fantastic job!!

MrsJamJam Sat 05-Apr-14 13:07:34

Watched the local news report about this. What brilliant engineering and a wonderful example of teamwork and commitment. Lots of unsung heroes who deserve huge thanks from all of us.

henetha Sat 05-Apr-14 14:56:59

We all love our coastal trainline and are so pleased it has re-opened.
The 'Orange Army' have done brilliantly.