Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prom outfits etc

(16 Posts)
TriciaF Fri 11-Jul-14 15:56:44

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2687240/We-spent-1-000-daughters-primary-school-prom-Mother-gets-second-job-cleaner-pay-11-year-olds-big-night.html
I heard the discussion on LBC about this story and was horrified - is it because I'm old, or is it teaching our daughters and grand - daughters standards completely opposite to all the women's movement has fought for?

tanith Fri 11-Jul-14 16:32:34

Why are they having Proms when the kids leave Primary School I thought Proms were for when leaving school and moving onto college or Uni?

Anyway its crazy and its as much the parents fault for buying into all the hype and spending...

tanith Fri 11-Jul-14 16:33:12

Of course I meant to say its all an American thing anyway brought over to just make money.

annodomini Fri 11-Jul-14 16:43:01

They even have American style 'graduations' (cap and gown included) from pre-school. Secondary schools have Year 11 and Year 13 proms. All a wonderful opportunity for one-up-manship. Or would that be one-up-girlship? Outfits for boys are a bit more restrained.

Purpledaffodil Fri 11-Jul-14 17:03:11

Sadly there will always be parents, usually mothers I'm sorry to say, who cannot wait for their children to grow up and will live vicariously through them. I think it is really a pity because more sensible parents will feel pressured into doing the same. It is telling that there were fewer than twenty "children" at this event. Either it is a small year group or other parents did have more sense. When I was doing supply this week one of the girls was chatting about her "ex boyfriend". She was 8. shock

Nelliemoser Fri 11-Jul-14 17:14:43

Oh this is dreadful. The parents could stop it in their tracks if they wanted to. It will be beauty pageants next.

Lilygran Fri 11-Jul-14 18:07:41

Posted yesterday! Thought I'd better warn those who do not read it! This mother is said to have spent £1000 on her daughter's prom experience. Daughter is aged 11. Would you? Would your DD or DDiL? www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2687240/We-spent-1-000-daughters-primary-school-prom-Mother-gets-second-job-cleaner-pay-11-year-olds-big-night.html

TriciaF Fri 11-Jul-14 18:30:26

Sorry Lilygran - I missed your thread. blush
I only heard about it when I listened to LBC this afternoon.

TriciaF Fri 11-Jul-14 18:40:12

ps Perhaps the two threads can be combined?
Please - moderators.

harrigran Fri 11-Jul-14 19:07:08

Ludicrous, the mother is creating a monster.

pinkprincess Fri 11-Jul-14 20:53:27

I have not read this article but believe things are getting ridiculous.
One member of my extended family has just posted a photo on Facebook of her 4 year old son's graduation from nursery school. He is wearing a cap and gown.

Ana Fri 11-Jul-14 20:59:29

You can't be serious, pinkprincess! grin

gangy5 Fri 11-Jul-14 21:06:11

What a kill joy I am!! I think the whole proms business is horrible. Why is it that we have to adopt everything that the Americans do? When I was a kid we never heard anything of Halloween and now it is big business and widely celebrated. Now this wretched prom business has caught on with parents feeling it necessary to spend hundreds on dresses for their daughters.
Yes, we did have a school leaving party - why is it necessary to have more?

Coolgran65 Fri 11-Jul-14 21:37:05

£1,000, including a limo, a £200 dress + + + + for an 11 year old to go to a school leaving party.
It's just not right.

vegasmags Fri 11-Jul-14 21:42:31

An acquaintance of mine took her 9 year old daughter for a spray tan and then to the hairdressers for a blow dry - all in readinesss for her school photograph. It beggars belief.

Anne58 Fri 11-Jul-14 22:06:07

shock vegas totally with you there, absolutely ridiculous!