Gransnet forums

News & politics

What next for Afghanistan?

(10 Posts)
Kiora Sun 26-Oct-14 08:45:56

Today we withdraw from Afghanistan. What will happen now? I'm hoping that the sacrifices on all side will have been worth it and that the ordinary civilian population can live in peace. Sadly I have my doubts. I hope I'm wrong.

hildajenniJ Sun 26-Oct-14 09:23:04

Indeed! The Taliban are still in the offing. Here's hoping all the training we have given the local forces has been worthwhile.

suevie34 Sun 26-Oct-14 12:11:14

The saddest thing about Afghanistan is that our politicians don't appear to know their history, or choose to ignore it. Afghanistan can't be 'beaten' or changed. Just look at history. I think that our forces have done a fantastic job, and I'm very proud of my nephew who had three tours of duty there. I'm not proud of our leaders who put the troops there in the first place. Let's hope our intervention has done some good and the Afghan people can live in peace.

Deedaa Sun 26-Oct-14 20:45:52

You are so right suevie34 I can't believe that anything we've done will have a lasting effect. Our forces have been wonderful but I fear even their best efforts will be doomed to failure.

grannyactivist Sun 26-Oct-14 22:14:19

suevie34 I do hope you're right, but admit to being tearful today and genuinely wondering if any good that has been done has outweighed the terrible loss of life - I fear not. sad

janeainsworth Sun 26-Oct-14 22:20:07

gaflowers you have more reason than most to wonder whether sacrifice in the theatre of war is worthwhile.

Greenfinch Sun 26-Oct-14 23:18:50

Yes indeed. I can understand your tears ga.We may never know the answer but can only hope that some good has been done.

PRINTMISS Mon 27-Oct-14 08:29:31

It is great that our troops our now out of that country, but what a great cost it has been to achieve what we hope will be a lasting 'peace'. Our thoughts will always be with those who sacrificed the most.

grannyactivist Mon 27-Oct-14 09:18:02

I do worry that the primary legacy of our involvement in Afghanistan will be an increase in the number of ex service personnel who will be living on the streets and whose mental health will be affected for many years to come. sad I suspect that The Royal British Legion and other charities who fundraise for serving and ex-service personnel will lose their high profile and funds will dry up long before the need has passed for their help.

suevie34 Mon 27-Oct-14 10:09:31

Maybe it's up to us on Gransnet to keep the plight of ex service personnel in the public eye. Post Traumatic Stress disorder lasts for life for many people who have been sent to war. We all owe them a debt of gratitude. The families are also paying the price for the rest of their lives. I hope and pray that we always support the Royal British Legion and all the other charities that do such a wonderful job supporting ex service personnel.