Gransnet forums

News & politics

What do you think of this? (ex tv weather presenter)

(54 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Fri 13-Feb-15 14:42:04

story here

In view of the fact that the crimes took place in the seventies when he was a much younger man, and the fact that he now seems to be genuinely sorry for what happened, should he be treated with some compassion, and perhaps, leniency?

Perhaps people like this need treatment rather than simply punishment?

I can't help feeling sorry for the man he is now.

loopylou Fri 13-Feb-15 14:51:03

He's a paedophile, he knew exactly what he wanted and set out to achieve it.
I have zero compassion for people like him; I bet they all show remorse when caught but that's no consolation for his victims.
Pity he wasn't locked up years ago.

nightowl Fri 13-Feb-15 15:03:06

I have no sympathy for him, only disgust and contempt. I am far more concerned about the effects on all the young boys he abused. We can be sure the offences he has been convicted of are just the tip of a very large iceberg. I hope the boys have all survived but I'm sure he will have ruined some lives. He is very lucky to have enjoyed a privileged life in the public eye for as long as he has. I hope he never has a moment's peace for the rest of his miserable life.

Mishap Fri 13-Feb-15 15:08:36

His crimes in this area were consistent over many years according to the report link. And the whole orgy set up is not the impulse action of a man simply unable to curb his urges. His crimes were pretty calculated, as is often the case with paedophiles.

He will have to take his sentence like anyone else in this situation; but hopefully there will be some attempt to help with with his aberrant leanings.

I think we all can feel pity for someone who apparently has these destructive and anti-social leanings. No-one would choose to be a paedophile as they are treated with understandable revulsion - but they are still our fellows and it is right that they should have help if any is available, for everyone's sake.

I do not think that anyone can ever chose to cease to be a paedophile.

Jane10 Fri 13-Feb-15 15:10:02

What "treatment" do you have in mind jings? He took advantage of young boys. That wasn't some sort of unconscious or even one off event. He knew exactly what he was doing when he was doing it. There was never a time when that was somehow alright. Its time the law caught up with these unscrupulous ****s. Will also give out the right message to those currently involved in this vile abuse.

Mishap Fri 13-Feb-15 15:16:51

I think there are members of this forum who have professional knowledge of this whole issue and may have helpful comments to add.

I think that there are attempts to try and treat paedophiles - it is after all not just in their interests, but everyone's. I am not sure what that treatment consists of, but I applaud the attempt.

Jane10 Fri 13-Feb-15 15:24:28

I do know about "treatments" having been involved in a professional capacity however, deciding to abuse children is not outwith personal control. He is a cognitively able person who was able to choose to, decide to and perpetrate these acts. Results from attempts to "treat" people like these are not impressive.

loopylou Fri 13-Feb-15 15:30:58

I nursed a small child who had been passed around family members as a sex object. The injuries were appalling, the psychological damage irreparable.
It was nearly 40 years ago and the images are still there.
Treatment? Castration for one although I'm sure many will disagree.

Grannyknot Fri 13-Feb-15 15:32:52

Aren't sex offenders near impossible to treat with any kind of success?

sunseeker Fri 13-Feb-15 15:33:59

He chose to go into a profession (teaching) where he could be close to children, he was in a position of trust when he abused them. He has to serve a long sentence in order to try to give those children some kind of closure (although how you get over that sort of abuse I don't know).

If there was an effective treatment I would be in favour of him being offered it but would think that anything less than chemical castration would be ineffective.

loopylou Fri 13-Feb-15 15:42:09

Apparently he kept explicit diaries recording his actions over years, sick perverted individual.

Brendawymms Fri 13-Feb-15 15:42:20

No abuse of one person against another is ever acceptable.
The incidents that have been in the press in the last months have all been historic and I am having difficulty in understanding who benefits from locking away a person in their late 70's or 80's.
Is it revenge or a thirst for justice. I don't know.
I was abused by a teacher when I was at school in the 1960's ( one of quite a few) but cannot see what benefit there is in bringing it to law now against a man in his late 80's. Do I forgive him. NO do I see the need for revenge. NO. Do I need justice. It's too late.

sunseeker Fri 13-Feb-15 15:51:51

Brendawymms I am pleased you have been able to put the abuse behind you and get on with your life,(not an easy task I would think), unfortunately there are many who are unable to do so and seeing their abuser jailed (even if he is in his 80s) could bring them some comfort.

whenim64 Fri 13-Feb-15 16:05:20

The sort of predatory behaviour that Fred Talbot has habitually abused boys with is not gentle and benign - he has ruined the lives of several children. He'll be included in a prison treatment programme but the prognosis for someone like him, who has continued to deny his actions and made the complainants come to court to relive their experiences, is that he'll need lengthy treatment and supervision to monitor him in future. Repeat sexual abuse on several children makes him very hard to treat. He hasn't taken responsibility yet - perhaps a month on remand whilst reports are prepared might make him think what he's put these young men through, but just saying what he thinks the judge might want to hear so he can get a lighter sentence won't work.

I feel compassion for any offender who has ended up facing prison because he has sexually abused children - he's learnt to behave like this somewhere himself and would have needed guidance and protection at a time when he could have been diverted from offending. But I don't think he should avoid being appropriately sentenced for what he did.

KatyK Fri 13-Feb-15 16:05:39

Our local newspaper is reporting that an ex-school teacher (aged 91) has today been sentenced to 9 years for sex assaults on boys dating back to 1957 and onwards. The judge said that, apart from the sex attacks, his corporal punishment on pupils was particularly sadistic. I would probably describe some of the teachers in my Catholic junior school in the 1950s as sadistic but there is no suggestion of any sexual assaults. It was the 'norm' in many schools to whack and slap children. It was horrible but some seem to have taken it a step further. I can only imagine what being sexually assaulted in this way does to people's lives. I can also understand why it takes so long to come forward. If we told our parents that the nuns had whacked us they would have told us we must have deserved it as the nuns were above reproach. Yes these people should be punished.

nightowl Fri 13-Feb-15 16:08:35

And if you were the parent of a child he had abused, I'm guessing that imprisonment would seem like nowhere near sufficient punishment. Revenge? Maybe, but as Jane10 says, it's also about sending out the right message to those abusing children now, which is that they can never rest, never think they have got away with it, because the truth could come out years later and they will be punished. Such individuals may have no choice about their sexual desires but they always have a choice about whether to act on them, just as everyone else does.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 13-Feb-15 16:46:48

I agree with you brendawymms.

"The quality of mercy is not strained...."

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 13-Feb-15 16:48:16

if it had happened to one of mine, God forbid, at the time I would have wanted to kill him. But after so many years?

rosequartz Fri 13-Feb-15 16:59:05

It makes no difference when he committed the crimes. He should still be punished.
He wrecked lives and now has to face up to the consequences.

nightowl Fri 13-Feb-15 17:03:57

I think we are always protective of our children jingl, however old they are. So even after so many years, I would still want to kill him. Which is why it's a good job there is a proper legal system.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 13-Feb-15 17:06:18

Oh God yes! I'm not advocating lynchings! Not at any stage of the ops.

loopylou Fri 13-Feb-15 17:10:17

Age is no excuse for evading punishment IMO, victims and their families suffer for life.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 13-Feb-15 17:11:34

Why didn't they come forward at the time? Band-waggoning now?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 13-Feb-15 17:13:14

And don't tell me they were too scared. Or embarrassed. They've had forty years to get over that.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 13-Feb-15 17:14:11

Or thirty years. Can't do years over the millennium bit.