Gransnet forums

News & politics

21 beheaded by IS

(39 Posts)
POGS Mon 16-Feb-15 10:12:46

Last night we heard of the beheading of 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians by IS.

Now Egypt are bombing IS in Libya.

Is this the reaction IS has wanted or is it a rise from another Arab country that will gain momentum for Arab nations to do more in attacking IS. They need to IMHO.

Things are ramping up everywhere and it is all very worrying isn't it.

Mishap Mon 16-Feb-15 10:14:46

And some of it is done for the media coverage I feel.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 16-Feb-15 10:19:57

So what should the media do? Walk away and let us put our heads in the sand?

Something is going to have to done about these people. It will probably be war. A just one in this case.

thatbags Mon 16-Feb-15 10:21:00

I agree, pogs, it is all very worrying. Fascism always is.

durhamjen Mon 16-Feb-15 10:21:18

So the beheadings would stop if there was no media coverage?
It would be nice to think so. However, Ghengis Khan did not have media coverage. Neither did all those religious fanatics in the Middle Ages, including our own kings and queens.

thatbags Mon 16-Feb-15 10:21:51

As is utter and complete intolerance, which seems to be what drives IS.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 16-Feb-15 10:22:28

It's despair-makingly terrifying.

TerriBull Mon 16-Feb-15 10:22:29

Appalling, heartbreaking - every day seems to bring some awful new horror. I read about this on the internet yesterday and it was on ITV's news last night, but it seems the BBC didn't feel it was worth mentioning this morning.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 16-Feb-15 10:29:51

It's been all over the Today Programme.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 16-Feb-15 10:31:16

The retaliatory bombing by Egypt has been the headline on the radio 4 news.

soontobe Mon 16-Feb-15 10:33:29

It is all beginning to feel like war.

soontobe Mon 16-Feb-15 10:37:16

I dont get it all really.
I am not convinced that it has much to do with religion.
I dont get their real motives.
I dont get their apparent wanting for publicity.
I dont even know or understand if the people fighting for IS are all thinking in the same way.

Elegran Mon 16-Feb-15 10:50:20

It is a snowball, soontobe Once one of them has committed an act of violence and the world reaction has been to condemn them for it, others then regard it the reaction as unfair vicimisation, so they feel justified in repeating it again and again, more savage each time.

They believe that they are doing God's will, punishing those who blaspheme, but they are quite happy to kill and maim bystanders at the same time.

rockgran Mon 16-Feb-15 11:19:09

I think it is made worse by too much media information. It is true that all these things (or similar) went on before but we didn't know about them. Now we know everything - all the time- immediately - in great detail - and can't escape it. Our perception is that things are getting worse but they were always pretty bad. I only listen to the news headlnes on the radio now as I just can't process all this bad news.

Anya Mon 16-Feb-15 11:23:16

Part of me is relieved that other Arab countries eg Jordan and Egypt are, at last, reacting to ISIL. This situation may, in fact probably does, all stem from interference by the West, in Middle East politics in the past.

Nothing can justify these barbaric beheadings.

Anniebach Mon 16-Feb-15 11:38:37

I find it all so hypocritical, the beheading of these people is horrific yet we have our future king and PM paying respects to a leader of Saudia Arabia where beheading is the punishment for practising Christianity

Wheniwasyourage Mon 16-Feb-15 21:31:40

It's really worrying, I think, and the things these people do, whether IS or Boko Haram or whoever, are so appalling that I'm afraid that someone is going to have to fight back. I would rather it wasn't just the US and the UK and a couple of other European countries, as we seem to have a habit of making things worse, but I think it needs some leadership from the Middle Eastern countries. I fear for the future of our civilisations, not just our own, but Eastern and Middle Eastern ones as well. sad

Wheniwasyourage Mon 16-Feb-15 21:33:18

Anya, you've put it better than I have. Someone please tell me that I'm being too pessimistic.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 16-Feb-15 21:42:16

I think you are right Anya. But how could the west not interfere after 9/11?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 16-Feb-15 21:47:16

Hopefully the Middle eastern countries will overcome these people without western interference. Obama seems determined to hold back. I hope Hilary gets in after him. Hers would be a sensible pair of hands.

soontobe Mon 16-Feb-15 22:03:12

Obama could end up getting some blame for letting IS grow bigger, and kill more people.

merlotgran Mon 16-Feb-15 22:06:43

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31486879

I received this via facebook this morning. The Adenis haven't a clue what's going on and are seriously worried about their safety.

Trouble seems to be breaking out everywhere.

I've never even heard of the Houthis.

Mishap Mon 16-Feb-15 22:07:08

I don't think we have any choice but to hold back in the west. The countries in the middle east should be the first defence against this. IS are trying desperately to draw the west in.

I just despair o0f the world my DGC might be living in.

Ref the media - of course they must report this, but the terrorists are using and manipulating this by their staged executions and use of social media.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 16-Feb-15 22:13:26

God Almighty - the young IS bomber captured in Baghdad. Hardly more than a child. sad

soontobe Mon 16-Feb-15 22:14:59

I think it is important to remember that there have always been wars, and rumours of wars.

But we wouldnt have heard of most of them, like we do know.
That isnt a good thing in my opinion.