Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yemin

(9 Posts)
POGS Sun 29-Mar-15 17:50:16

I think the biggest story that could influence world peace and security is playing out over the last few weeks in Yemin and it is certainly ramping up over the last few days.

Extremely volatile situation!

Anybody else feeling the same way?

I think our media is not doing enough to alert us of the issues and possible danger the conflict is going to have on us let alone the inhabitants of Yemin itself. Watching Aljazeera is an eye opener our t.v and papers are so hung up on trite , puerile stories I could scream at times, 'Do your b----y job and report news, not tittle tattle'. [ grr]

World leaders must be very rattled by all this.

merlotgran Sun 29-Mar-15 17:52:47

Watching it closely because we are in contact with friends from the past in Aden on facebook.

There should be more news reports on what's happening out there. I'd never heard of the Houthis before now.

merlotgran Sun 29-Mar-15 17:58:01

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-32024322

loopylou Sun 29-Mar-15 18:09:38

That's really frightening reading, I wasn't aware of this at all. Thank you merlotgran
It seems like hotspots are bubbling up in a number of countries.

TerriBull Sun 29-Mar-15 18:17:35

I agree POGS, a tinderbox if ever there was one, somewhat under reported. very worrying has the potential to draw in all sorts of different factions, rather depressing that we have to side with Saudi in this, never quite sure whether they covertly support ISIS or not.

janerowena Sun 29-Mar-15 18:35:50

DS has been worrying away about the Yemen for over a year now. He's been watching illicit broadcasts from there on his computer. When I ask what's going on, he says it changes every five minutes. I'm amazed they have the energy.

POGS Sun 29-Mar-15 20:09:59

TerriBull

A tinder box indeed! Yemin, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Iran, good grief!

merlotgran Thu 02-Apr-15 11:27:40

Dreadful things happening in Aden today.

A quote from a facebook contact one hour ago....

"Crater is burning today people are dying in the streets with heavy bombardment right now"

When you read messages from people in terrible danger asking for prayers, it's heartbreaking. sad

POGS Thu 02-Apr-15 16:17:35

Merlotgran

Yes, it is as suspected ratcheting up daily.

It is being reported the Houtis have taken over the Presidential Palace and Aden is in a mess as you say.

I still believe that the lack of interest is astounding given the potential damage to the world economy , let alone the loss of life which is sadly taking place.

What a world sad.