Gransnet forums

News & politics

Shooting in Charleston

(9 Posts)
GrannyTwice Wed 08-Apr-15 10:26:27

What I don't understand is how, once the post mortem was carried out, it wasn't clear that there were 5 shots in the back from a distance? Actually I do understand, it's not just the police that are racist is it? I guess as we speak his defence is being created - some sort of mental health crisis no doubt brought on by being caught on video

Anniebach Wed 08-Apr-15 10:32:32

Racism never dies, racist parents pass on their predjudices to their children

GillT57 Wed 08-Apr-15 11:16:08

the redneck sheriff didnt look pleased about it this morning on BBC, not the shooting, but the fact that it had been filmed. Even if the man was armed, he was running away.

ninathenana Wed 08-Apr-15 11:28:56

Certainly proves the cop couldn't have felt "threatened". As victims father said "without the video, who would people believe?"

Granart Wed 08-Apr-15 16:32:34

It seems to me unbelievable the actions that the police get away with in certain American states. Why would he shoot the man? It looked like a knee jerk angry reaction almost on the level that shouting at the victim would be here.

Thank goodness for the video although I doubt it will make a difference in court.

pompa Wed 08-Apr-15 16:49:39

"Racism never dies, racist parents pass on their prejudices to their children"

This is so wrong. angry It may be true in a few cases, but cannot be taken as mandatory.

My parents were extremely racist (through ignorance mainly), that has not been passed on to me. I hated the way they behaved at times.

Lilygran Wed 08-Apr-15 17:21:57

What the OP says is what I thought when I read the story. How could the policeman have got away with claiming the man was threatening him, even without the film?

amarmai Wed 08-Apr-15 18:57:08

shortly before this shooting of a black man by a white police officer, was the one in Ferguson-also USA. This has happened many times and the police are believed, despite videos. What is different this time is the murder charge.I wonder why?

GrannyTwice Wed 08-Apr-15 19:45:34

A quick charge of murder to calm the situation down and then the best lawyers that money can buy to come up with a defence - still think best bet will be some mental health issue . Then there's always jury selection......