Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bill Shankly said football was much more important than life and death

(34 Posts)
GrannyTwice Wed 27-May-15 19:34:12

Well it's certainly more important than the Q*** S*** as the FIFA scandal is taking over C4 news.

GrannyTwice Wed 27-May-15 19:34:34

Go on HQ - I dare you!

loopylou Wed 27-May-15 19:37:55

More interesting that incessant politics to me too!

Iam64 Thu 28-May-15 08:39:58

Granny Twice - I may be being dim but what is Q** S*** ?

Soutra Thu 28-May-15 08:46:32

Queen's Speech tcrsmile

Teetime Thu 28-May-15 08:56:48

I asked DH what would happen if FIFA wasn't there- he couldn't answer me.

Iam64 Thu 28-May-15 09:03:15

Thanks Soutra - 2nd cup of coffee and brain awakening dog walk needed here. I've just read GT's QS thread - what larks.

whitewave Thu 28-May-15 15:32:02

They certainly think so in Qatar where so many people of Nepal who are working on the new football stadium, have been refused permission to go back to their loved ones funeral's. I have always wondered as to how the decision to stage the World Cup in Qatar was made and why. -

Judthepud2 Fri 29-May-15 10:48:45

Seriously? Football? Oh for goodness sake! Although my DGSs might be inclined to agree.

PRINTMISS Fri 29-May-15 12:18:55

Oh! yes! Jud, when did football become the God that it has? Just do not get me on my soap-box. SPORT is important in life - professional football no longer deserves to come under that heading.

janerowena Fri 29-May-15 15:31:50

If they all wore lawn spikes on their boots, they would have some purpose. Or had to chase errant chickens back to a barn. Or piglets.

DBH complained many years ago that I wouldn't sit down with him and watch a game. I said I would one day - if he would sit there for an hour and a half and watch me knit, first.

He has never asked again.

loopylou Fri 29-May-15 15:47:16

Grossly overpaid, overhyped individuals and I hate football ( in case you hadn't guessed!)

janerowena Fri 29-May-15 16:53:57

Even better use of their time - how about litter-picking by the sides of motorways? He who nabs the most pieces, wins. Then all their little adoring fans would think twice about littering - or would they throw even more?

Agus Fri 29-May-15 17:27:00

Obscenely salaried individuals who are now classed as celebrities.....all for kicking a ball. angry

janerowena Fri 29-May-15 18:53:31

I really can't understand it. It's illogical.

Iam64 Fri 29-May-15 20:22:46

I love footi, love the drama, the skill and if given the opportunity to watch a match at the Theatre of Dreams, I'm thrilled and enjoy every second of it. I don't mine others not liking footi, and getting wound up about the huge amounts of money involved at every level. That walk down from Salford to Old Trafford is such a delight, crowds of people of all ages, genders, races etc - love it grin

Ana Fri 29-May-15 20:35:39

I went with a boyfriend to Stretford End once - all standing of course in those days! Nearly got trampled underfoot on the way out and vowed 'never again'! grin

Ana Fri 29-May-15 20:36:39

Think we referred to it as 'the' Stretford End.

Iam64 Sat 30-May-15 07:19:05

Yes, it's the Stretford End - famous for singing ….

Greyduster Sat 30-May-15 08:50:25

I have a husband and a son who are season ticket holders to our local club. I have to endure the gloom and doom of every lost game for days after the match. I would rather gouge out my eyes with a rusty spoon than watch football at professional level. I hate the obscene amounts of money involved in it and the fact that these players are supposed to be role models for the likes of my grandson (8) who, during the past year, has become obsessed with the game. And don't get me started on the amounts of money the clubs are making out of replica kit for youngsters!

KatyK Sat 30-May-15 18:15:34

My DH is watching the Cup Final as we speak. There are two main teams in this city, Aston Villa is one of them, my DH supports the other one. The two teams' supporters absolutely detest each other (team-wise I mean). My DH is whooping and cheering because Arsenal have just scored against Villa. Other close members of my family are Villa supporters and have travelled to Wembley today to watch their team. I am appalled at my DH for not wanting Villa to win for the sake of our relatives. He just says 'you don't understand football'. No I don't. It's childish and pathetic (IMHO).

lefthanded Sun 31-May-15 12:35:46

There was a chap promoting Sky TV in our local shopping centre. He asked me if we had Sky TV, and I said that we did. Then he asked me if we had the Sky Sports channels and I said that we did not. So he turned to my wife and said "Come on, missus - let him have the Sports channels", stereotyping (and insulting) us both at a stroke.

The ridiculous salaries being paid to footballers will continue as long as people are prepared to pay the price being asked either at the turnstile (Do they still have turnstiles?) or through subscription services like Sky Sports. I am pleased to say the personally I do not contribute to either.

janerowena Sun 31-May-15 12:38:47

The incidence of wife-beating goes up hugely after major football matches.

loopylou Sun 31-May-15 13:14:22

I didn't know that janer, that is truly appalling.

It's odd that in rugby the fans sit side by side and rarely (if ever) have I heard about any sort of violence and the players don't get the obscene salaries of prima Donna footballers yet football violence is common with opposing fans needing security fencing etc.

Iam64 Sun 31-May-15 18:47:59

janerowena is, sadly, absolutely correct about the incidence of domestic abuse rising enormously around major football matches.

I haven't seen any research about comparisons between the numbers of people (men we're talking about in truth) who follow footi and those who support cricket and rugby. I suspect there may be a class element here. I am not consigning domestic abuse to working class men I hasten to add, domestic abuse happens in all social classes/races.