Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gay men and consensual sex

(24 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 03-Mar-15 09:55:01

I find this interesting, what do other people think? (Given that if a woman was e.g. drunk in a similar scenario, it would be sexual assault without a doubt).

"More gay men in the UK are presenting to clinicians with complicated issues associated with drug use and consent to sex in "chemsex" environments (taking recreational drugs during sex). A poll asked: 'If a gay man, highly intoxicated on a popular self-ingested drug, later regrets the sex he had, or had trouble remembering what happened... Was this consensual? Or is it sexual assault?'"

bee63 Tue 03-Mar-15 10:05:57

I'd imagine the other guy was equally off his head so it would be very difficult to untangle events.

GillT57 Tue 03-Mar-15 10:38:18

At the risk of sounding like a prude, why cant people just take responsibility for their own actions? Assuming nobody is forced to take the recreational drugs against their will, then surely their regrets over what happened are something they should learn from i.e dont do it again? Not everyone is a victim, other than of their own stupidity or lack of control. This applies to any consensual sexual relationship.

bee63 Tue 03-Mar-15 10:43:32

I agree Gill.

Katek Tue 03-Mar-15 10:43:44

Hear, hear Gill.

Grannyknot Tue 03-Mar-15 10:58:17

gill that doesn't sound prudish! More like common sense smile

The question is if people "get off their face(s)" - where does that leave consent?

Ana Tue 03-Mar-15 11:08:24

It sounds to me as though the men in question knew what they were signing up for right from the start.

They may have regretted their decision afterwards, especially if they've suffered physical damage or contracted a sexually-transmitted disease, but the nature and purpose of these 'chemsex parties' is self-explanatory.

Grannyknot Tue 03-Mar-15 11:43:52

It sounds to me as though those (men) in question knew what they were signing up for right from the start.

Alcohol is a drug. So does the above not apply to any gathering where people are knowingly likely to end up in a sexual encounter, or come to think of it, actively seeking it?

grannyactivist Tue 03-Mar-15 11:44:32

Woah......I'd never heard of chem-sex and so did a bit of googling - as you do. I know these are lifestyle choices, but I do wonder about the self esteem of anyone who would want to get involved with this kind of activity.
(Now, I need to go and get my brain washed - there are some disturbing images in there.) shock

soontobe Tue 03-Mar-15 11:55:57

chem-sex means you know that you are going to go off your head? Alchohol, you dont?

Ana Tue 03-Mar-15 12:07:22

I meant that the purpose of these parties is to take drugs and have sex. Anyone participating would have known this beforehand and made the choice to join in, before getting high.

janerowena Tue 03-Mar-15 12:14:27

I suppose the problem is, you may end up taking or drinking something far stronger than you had meant to, or even had them given to you when you were unaware. Although both drinks and drugs can have completely different reactions on one person than they do on another, so it's all a bit of a gamble. I'm so glad I am not a young person anymore. You need a 60 year old head on 20 year old shoulders.

grannyactivist Tue 03-Mar-15 12:37:05

Just curious - who had heard of chem-sex before reading about it here?

JessM Tue 03-Mar-15 12:46:49

Obviously a new term for "drug fuelled orgy" smile
I think this is a very different case from the girl who gets drunk in a pub, party or club and then a man takes advantage of her insensible state and has sex with her.
By attending a party which has the objective of having casual and possibly risky sex with possibly several people in a social setting one might reasonably argue that consent had been given.
If a violent attack was involved that would be different.

Grannyknot Tue 03-Mar-15 12:54:24

I am a rep on a Patient Participantion Group (GP practice) and read the extract quoted in the OP in a circular. Before that I hadn't heard of it. But Public Health England has put out an alert. Must be a tiny number of the population surely?

bee63 Tue 03-Mar-15 12:55:42

You're a braver person than me grannyactivist for googling 'chem - sex'

Think you need a hot sweet brew

& sorry op, just can't get worked up about this.

'Gay men take drugs & have sex' .....who knew?

janerowena Tue 03-Mar-15 13:02:58

Me - but then I have a 19 year old!

Coolgran65 Tue 03-Mar-15 14:19:15

I agree with Gill.

PRINTMISS Tue 03-Mar-15 16:34:22

I agree with Gill too.

loopylou Tue 03-Mar-15 17:20:02

Absolutely agree with Gill and have no intention of wanting to know more.....

annsixty Tue 03-Mar-15 17:24:01

It would seem these men go into this with their eyes open. The whole purpose for them is a heightened sexual experience so any consequences are known risks.

loopylou Tue 03-Mar-15 17:29:20

I assume they know beforehand exactly what their indulging in and are therefore prepared to face the consequences.

He takes the drugs + seeks sexual encounter with another male = therefore no case to answer, surely.

They're not talking about date rape.

petallus Tue 03-Mar-15 17:30:51

I've watched every episode of Cucumber (excellent drama) so I know about these things! grin

petallus Tue 03-Mar-15 17:31:48

I suspect not many men would complain afterwards!