Gransnet forums

News & politics

Girls locked in their bedroom every night.....

(108 Posts)
Mishap Tue 21-Apr-15 17:44:07

.......under a court order to protect them from their mother's paedophile partner.

Clearly we do not know all the facts of the case, so should not really comment, but I cannot help thinking that the fire hazard here is very serious.

The 2 girls have some sort of monitor device via which they can communicate their need to go to the toilet during the night.

merlotgran Tue 21-Apr-15 17:46:33

Oh for heaven's sake angry

And the mother allows him in the house????

Jane10 Tue 21-Apr-15 17:53:13

If he has to be in the house why not lock him in his room?

Ana Tue 21-Apr-15 17:56:47

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-locks-young-girls-bedroom-5546343

Unbelievable.

Nelliemoser Tue 21-Apr-15 18:07:27

Try "listen again to todays BBC Radio4 PM. There was a rather hypothetical discussion about this.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qskw/episodes/player

It has only just finished but might be on in a short while. Yesterday's is.

However we will never know, nor should we know, the full circumstances and the reasoning behind this.

Soutra Tue 21-Apr-15 18:12:12

Please bear with me if IABU, how can a mother 1) choose a partner who is a paedophile and 2) prioritise him over her daughters?

rosequartz Tue 21-Apr-15 18:20:11

Soutra I agree
It beggars belief.
If she lets him stay the children should be taken away from her.

Soutra Tue 21-Apr-15 18:28:13

Taken into care as I think would happen if he had a conviction for violent crime. It just makes me so angryangryangry

ginny Tue 21-Apr-15 18:30:49

I agree too. What is she thinking of ? That is if she actually has a brain to think with. Do paedophiles only 'attack' at night ? I hope they are never alone with him.

loopylou Tue 21-Apr-15 18:33:00

I can't believe this! Surely she's being exceptionally neglectful and an utter idiot?

rosequartz Tue 21-Apr-15 18:34:50

www.itv.com/news/2015-04-20/mother-locks-young-daughters-in-room-so-she-can-live-with-convicted-paedophile/

She married him! shock angry

Social workers are 'monitoring' - are they there for 24 hours a day?
Grandmother is very upset and no wonder.
How could any woman want to sleep with a convicted paedophile? She must be sick.

Ana Tue 21-Apr-15 18:34:57

And what about the social workers involved? shock
Surely this sort of 'arrangement' isn't condoned?

rosequartz Tue 21-Apr-15 18:36:24

Well, they and the police have turned a blind eye in so many cases that have come to light recently that you begin to wonder what they are for and if they are fit for purpose.

Nelliemoser Tue 21-Apr-15 18:36:57

I have just looked at that article. It is totally unhelpful and typical of the media. Look at the style in which it is written! It is full of nasty innuendo and as we know nothing about the details they can easily get away with such speculation. It is written in a way to generate anger which could potentially do more damage to the children if their identity is discovered. My fears are that with the press whipping up public hate about these issues could cause potential problems for the children.

How on earth did this reach the press anyway? For the sake of the children's privacy we have no details.

We can only hope the courts have made the right decision and yes it is a worry.

Such risks are dealt with in many cases where parents who have had children under child protection orders have managed to turn around their lives and keep their families safe.
There are very big risks in all such situations but it can have far better outcomes than removing children from the home.

Mishap Tue 21-Apr-15 18:44:28

Indeed - as I said we do not know the full facts. And of course the media will whip things up.

But even at the level of fire safety alone this seems a strange decision.

Clearly he is still regarded as a risk to children or these "safeguards" would not have been necessary; so that is very puzzling.

Ana Tue 21-Apr-15 18:45:00

If the true facts are that the children are being locked in their bedroom every night to protect them from their paedophile stepfather, then I couldn't care less about hostile media coverage.

From the article it would seem that the children's grandmother contacted the Mirror because she feels powerless against the authorities who are allowing this situation.

I wonder what reason the children have been given for being locked in - which is enough to affect any child negatively in any event! angry

petallus Tue 21-Apr-15 19:19:03

Hurrah for Nelliemoser!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 21-Apr-15 19:28:54

It must be so creepy for those girls.

Stupid mother. hmm

Ana Tue 21-Apr-15 19:29:34

So you think it's fine and dandy for children to be locked in their bedrooms, petallus? Or are you saying it's all a pack of lies...?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 21-Apr-15 19:31:23

The NSPCC is against it. That'll do me.

rosequartz Tue 21-Apr-15 19:40:56

Just to clarify: the link I posted above is from ITV so I would have thought it was presented in a fairly straightforward way and not from a newspaper which may be trying to whip up hysteria.

I would trust the opinion of the NSPCC over that of a young, well-meaning social worker any time.
(and I have worked with both.)

Anne58 Tue 21-Apr-15 19:41:02

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

rosequartz Tue 21-Apr-15 19:44:08

The voice of truth and sanity.
Thank you phoenix

I could weep for those girls, I feel quite emotional.
What some kids have to put up with is beyond most 'normal' people's comprehension.
Some tales are truly harrowing.

Anne58 Tue 21-Apr-15 19:44:52

PS Nellie only just read you post, so perhaps my post above may explain.

The childrens maternal grandmother (who has been worried ever since mother T "took up with" and them married M.) Rather interestingly, he took her name when they married, his surname was quite unusual, hers isn't.

Ana Tue 21-Apr-15 19:46:44

I have no doubt your post will be removed soon, phoenix, but thank you for that first-hand account of the situation.

Not all newspaper stories are 'sensationalised' to whip up loathing and hatred where none is warranted - I'm amazed that some on this thread seem to think this might just be a storm in a teacup.