Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Pension Age changes

(32 Posts)
Maggiemaybe Sat 26-Sep-15 08:36:12

Saga magazine has published an excellent article about the inequalities caused by the changes to women's pension age in the UK. These will affect a large number of GNers, and it seems that a proportion of those are still not aware of it.

www.saga.co.uk/magazine/money/retirement/pensions/will-you-have-to-wait-longer-for-your-state-pension

goldfinch5349 Tue 24-Nov-15 14:22:47

If the number of signatures reaches 100000 the issue will be considered for debate in parliament.
I watched the interview with Anne Keen and Joan Bakewell on TV which was very good and should raise the profile of the issue further. I haven't yet listened to Baroness Altmann's replies to the questions put to her, but there are certainly at least 39772 people who don't "accept the situation," as they have signed the petition. The petition was started I think on 20th October and will run until 20th April 2016, so here's hoping it will reach the 100000 mark.

Maggiemaybe Tue 24-Nov-15 18:54:47

Let's hope so, in answer to both ninathenana and goldfinch5349!

At the very least, it has got some of us tweeting for the first time to raise awareness of the campaign. smile

Mumsyface Sat 28-Nov-15 02:07:22

It does seem like 1954 was a particularly bad year for a woman to be born.

I have been working abroad for over twenty years and now find that I am restricted to applying for my next job in countries that don't have an age limit on work permits. In some countries this is as low as 55. And to add insult to injury it now appears that on return to the UK I would have to pass a test to get any state benefit, as I am now not eligible for the state pension until 2020, if I don't have a job!

It feels like we are back in the dark ages and the only option might turn out to be living on savings until they run out and then dying in the workhouse...

Happily I am still fit and well, able and willing to work, well qualified so optimistic.......although my sister tells me not to return without a job because apparently the country is going to the dogs.

Any suggestions?

GranJan60 Sun 06-Dec-15 21:11:03

PLEASE PLEASE could all of you sign the WASPI campaign against the State Pension inequalities. We really need everyone to support this to get justice, even if you are not directly affected. Thank you SO much

Alima Sun 06-Dec-15 21:22:27

I have just signed the petition and so far there are only 46,488 signatures on it. It needs 100,000 before Parliament will debate the issue. Any ideas how to publicise it? Highlight the petition at U3A meetings etc?

GarlicCake Fri 01-Jan-16 17:53:38

There was a debate. WASPI are doing incredible work and welcome your support. Continued pressure's needed because, as everybody knows, older women don't make a fuss hmm

Here's their Facebook page, WASPI on Twitter, and the Work & Pensions briefing.

Here's their New Year's Eve post:-

As 2015 draws to a close we've been reflecting upon our year and are so proud at what we've achieved, how far we've come. Especially as we were only founded in April this year! Here's a few of our memories:-

* Crowdjustice appeal - Target met in 3 days!
* Launch of Facebook page
* Growning media and political support - check out Media in Notes section
* Launch of our Twitter page - thanks Chris Shaw
* Launching our petition in October - 3,000 sigs in 3 hours!
* Meeting with the Shadow Cabinet in October
* Meeting with Natalie Bennett in October
* Featured on National TV
* Numerous mentions in the House - including debate in House
of Lords - thank you Baroness Joan Bakewell
* Giving evidence at the Work & Pensions Committee Inquiry - such an honour to be asked.
* Frank Field - Chair of Work & Pensions Committee for thanking WASPI "for making democracy alive". Praise doesn't come much higher than that.

Five ordinary women - on a mission to achieve justice. Five ordinary women - joined by thousands upon thousands of like- minded women (and men).

Yes, there's still much to be done but if we all do this together, do want we can, we will achieve justice. People power is a formidable force.

Thanks to each and every one of you for your support, for going that extra mile, for all you do. We simply couldn't have done it without you.