Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Dutch Election

(106 Posts)
maddyone Thu 23-Nov-23 10:20:25

Holland have voted into parliament Geert Wilders, a politician of the hard right.
Why has this happened?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Nov-23 10:22:43

I don’t know as I have not been keeping up. But worrying for lots of reasons.

Wilder has been on the fringe for a long time though.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 23-Nov-23 10:28:13

His party PVV has won 37 out of 150 seats in the Dutch Parliament, double that of the last election.

Galaxy Thu 23-Nov-23 10:30:03

Because large sections of the population dont agree with the prevailing narrative on immigration and other issues.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Nov-23 10:33:49

Galaxy

Because large sections of the population dont agree with the prevailing narrative on immigration and other issues.

Yes I guessed that was the reason, but it is a shame that they have turned to such an extremist.

LauraNorderr Thu 23-Nov-23 10:44:20

While we can’t voice concerns over a growing population and a shrinking infrastructure without facing cries of racism, xenophobia and lack of compassion some will turn to the right out of frustration.
Open discussion and serious solutions may help to bring back balance.

LauraNorderr Thu 23-Nov-23 10:47:28

Maddy, an interesting topic, thanks for posting but are you aware it’s in ‘meet ups’.
Perhaps you would like to ask GNHQ to move it.

Dickens Thu 23-Nov-23 10:56:22

There's a real problem with housing in Holland according to the BBC News article I just read.

Social housing is limited and renting is becoming more and more difficult, partly because of high rents.

I suspect that's part of the reason - people feel that they cannot accommodate - literally -more people with an already overstretched market.

Immigration is a real problem - and it's not going to end any time soon - for the whole of Europe. If you couple that with the rising cost of living, it's obvious that people are going to lurch towards parties that promise a solution.

dragonfly46 Thu 23-Nov-23 11:01:06

It is very unlikely he will be PM as none of the other parties will work with him and the Dutch always have a coalition government.

Dickens Thu 23-Nov-23 11:02:42

LauraNorderr

While we can’t voice concerns over a growing population and a shrinking infrastructure without facing cries of racism, xenophobia and lack of compassion some will turn to the right out of frustration.

That's part of the problem.

And that's the other part. Because 'open discussion' is mostly regarded as racist and xenophobic.

It starts with the infrastructure.

Urmstongran Thu 23-Nov-23 11:06:36

Sending shockwaves across Europe.

fancythat Thu 23-Nov-23 11:14:59

Urmstongran

Sending shockwaves across Europe.

Good.

Governments and powers that be need to realise they can only push people so far.
Though, quite frankly, I wouldnt trust higher ups not to necessarly, not want wars.

fancythat Thu 23-Nov-23 11:16:09

And that's the other part. Because 'open discussion' is mostly regarded as racist and xenophobic.

Even having a discussion on this small site, soon becomes fraught with problems.

foxie48 Thu 23-Nov-23 11:23:28

He's described as an Anti- Islam Populist with very hard line attitudes to immigration. He uses inflammatory language and has called Islam an ideology of retarded culture. There's a huge difference in discussing sensible immigration controls and what he proposes. He spreads hatred I'm not surprised Europe is worried, people like him make me worry!

maddyone Thu 23-Nov-23 11:25:12

But why would this subject be in meet ups?
I don’t understand.
Surely it’s political?

maddyone Thu 23-Nov-23 11:27:57

Oh I see, I must have pressed wrong button. Stupid me! I’ll ask for it to be moved.

Nicenanny3 Thu 23-Nov-23 13:20:23

I expect that the silent majority voted for him who are upset about how their country and population has/is changing.

Dickens Thu 23-Nov-23 13:57:16

foxie48

He's described as an Anti- Islam Populist with very hard line attitudes to immigration. He uses inflammatory language and has called Islam an ideology of retarded culture. There's a huge difference in discussing sensible immigration controls and what he proposes. He spreads hatred I'm not surprised Europe is worried, people like him make me worry!

There's a huge difference in discussing sensible immigration controls and what he proposes.

Agree.

It should be possible to discuss the subject rationally. But deliberate inflammatory language immediately precludes that possibility.

Immigration is a problem with insufficient infrastructure to support it - and that doesn't appear to be a problem solely experienced by the UK.

The cultural issues are a different matter. And one where, again, inflammatory language doesn't help. But neither does ignoring the fact that some from different cultures don't accept the culture - the freedoms, especially those freedoms that women enjoy, in their chosen country.

Germany had a problem some years ago in this respect, and had to institute 'civic classes' where some men were taught about the constitutional rights of women. To put it delicately. We can't pretend this is not a problem - it may not be huge - but it is a problem. And when we ignore it - it fuels the hatred and inflammatory language (and worse) from the extreme Right.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 23-Nov-23 14:22:36

You're quite right Dickens. We have a responsibility to make sure that people who come to live here understand how they should integrate into society and also learn English (all of them, not just the children at school). It's only fair to do so, rather than just dumping them and letting them get on with it. If they don't see that women have rights here, then they need to be told. We can't expect instant understanding of what may be a very different culture from the one some immigrants are used to, and it is up to us to help the understanding to develop.

MerylStreep Thu 23-Nov-23 14:28:07

I’m not at all surprised. I thought it would be Sweden who voted this way first. They have awful migration problems.

Opal Thu 23-Nov-23 14:37:44

Galaxy

Agreed. And they haven't agreed with it for decades. I've just read the "rivers of blood" speech in full. Powell's comments on integration still apply, and the politicians have learned nothing - 65 years on.

pascal30 Thu 23-Nov-23 14:38:40

he's also proposing banning the Koran.. imagine the uproar there would be if he did that

Grandma70s Thu 23-Nov-23 14:49:15

The Netherlands of all places, who suffered so terribly under the Nazis. So true that people who fail to learn from the mistakes of history are condemned to repeat them.

Namsnanny Thu 23-Nov-23 15:02:53

The Dutch have/had the most efficient farming industry in the world.
Europe (low emissions of course) is its chief customer.
There has been a long term push to buy out farmers (who have been farming their land for eons) and make legislation to restrict farming as they know it.

There is a mega city already planned for the site.
The gov feels this is the way to house the immigrants.
A lot of the public dont agree.
Their homes can be bought up by the gov (as happened with the farms) at prices dictated by the gov.

So perhaps that's a part of the reason why they voted this way?

Dickens Thu 23-Nov-23 15:26:21

pascal30

he's also proposing banning the Koran.. imagine the uproar there would be if he did that

The Koran, intrinsically, is not the problem.

It's how it has been hijacked to fit an agenda. And that is what he needs to address.