Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

A Skype or zoom meet up

(55 Posts)
Nashville Thu 08-Feb-24 09:34:01

Two of us gransnetters have met up in Leeds but it is a bit too much of a journey for each of us.

We have decided to create a Skype or zoom call and want to invite anyone else who would like to join in.

We two are interested in forming a travel group as we don’t like holidaying alone. I am retired and a widow and my co-netter has retired but her husband is still working.

If you would like to join in with us, message me and we can try to get the group going.

Looking forward to some happy travels.

SA57 Sun 07-Apr-24 20:39:55

I would be interested in a zoom group

Marydoll Mon 08-Apr-24 07:18:07

I know that other Gransnetters have successfully done this. However, previously they had all been meeting in person and knew each other.

If it was me, I would be wary of giving out my contacts details to someone I was not familiar with.

Nashville Mon 08-Apr-24 08:08:34

No bother Marydoll. There is no compulsion to join in at all.

However, in order to ever get out there and make some new friends one really has to not regard others as potential enemies who may harm you.

Joy and I are really very friendly and hopefully SA57 will not be put off from getting in touch.

It’s always good to be wary however and thank you for your comment.

netflixfan Mon 08-Apr-24 08:44:20

Joy here 😁 yes Elaine and I have met a few times now, we’ve had some nice days out and I consider her a pal! I understand Marydoll’s caution, though, and Elaine and I did chat for a while before meeting up. It’s harmless if you’re sensible. It’s so hard to make new friends when you’re older, and gransnet is such a boon!

SA57 Mon 08-Apr-24 19:20:16

I totally get being cautious, but think Zoom is an excellent way to bring people together to chat, I think during lockdown it was a lifeline for many people, plus you are in control how you use it, you can be on video or just audio, you can exit the meeting when it suits you, I am not overly confident with technology but I have found Zoom quite easy to use. I look forward to a new Zoom group coming together.

Marydoll Mon 08-Apr-24 23:01:20

My extensive training in Internet safety makes me very cautious.

I am not disputing the value of Zoom, I have used it on many occasions on a professional basis. However, unless it is in a formal context or with people I know, I will respectfully decline.

Kate1949 Mon 08-Apr-24 23:14:04

These names are new to me as a GNetter of many years. I hope those who join in enjoy it.

BlueBelle Mon 08-Apr-24 23:16:26

Is it wise to be giving Christian names out on a new thread ?

Are you all new to grandsnet Nashville, Netflixfan, and SA57?

SA57 Tue 09-Apr-24 01:25:08

No I am not new, I have been a member for quite some time but have rarely posted, I don't usually speak my mind but if I am honest several posts I have read and felt for the writer who has taken great courage to share their thoughts and problems have had horrendous responses which I have found to be quite hard, admittingly this is not always the case, some advice and support has drawn a tear to my eyes, but also from the background I sense a bit of a selective click going on, I don't wish to offend anyone, these are my own observations, and Grandsnet is a lifeline to many people out there, I just sometimes find the comments very sharp, or maybe I am a tad too sensitive. Who knows

Marydoll Tue 09-Apr-24 08:17:37

SA57, why don't you post on some of the gentler threads like the Kitchen and Good Morning threads? It's a good way of getting to know people.

I joined ten years ago, when I became seriously ill and had to give up my career. It took a while for people to get to know me and me to trust them, but GN was a lifeline for me after a sudden change in circumstances.
I have met many grans in person, but only after I got to know them online first. I wouldn't dream of participating on a Zoom meet up with an anonymous person.
The Glesca Grannies is an example of a successful and safe meet up. Thirteen of us will meet up next Wednesday, which we do a number of times a year.

Those of us who have been here for a while, have seen a fair number of posts, which are not genuine and have sucked in unsuspecting and naive posters, who have been devastated when they realised the posts were fake.
This is why we are wary. It doesn't mean we are uncaring nor harsh.
However, as I have said, my training has made me naturally suspicious and wary. I have a tendency to be forthright and say what I think and I feel a Zoom meet up, without getting to know the posters first is not the best of ideas.

I acknowledge that, just like real life, not everyone is kind. I have been upset by nastiness directed at me on GN, then realised it said more about them than me. It is so easy to hide behind anoninimity.
I usually avoid those threads or posters, but there are exceptions if I see unpleasantness and unkindness. I will call the person out or report them..

I agree with Bluebelle, perhaps giving out real names of posters on a public forum is not wise. Usernames are in place for a reason.
I know of at least two people, whose identity on GN was discovered, it caused all sorts of difficulties when they were outed.

flappergirl Tue 09-Apr-24 08:52:21

I echo previous posters. I would be very wary of "outing" myself over Zoom. In person Meet Ups are a different kettle of fish. They take time and effort to arrange, involve travelling, personal expense and a certain level of commitment. Nobody disingenuous would be bothered. It is also very unwise, and unusual, to share real names online.

I haven't been a member of GN for very long (perhaps a year) but I must admit I have not encountered Netflixfan, Nashville or SA57 before. Rather strange that three unknowns should start a thread about Zoom meetings.

MissAdventure Tue 09-Apr-24 08:59:40

Netflixfan has been around for quite a while, and posts, and the other women choose not to.

Greenfinch Tue 09-Apr-24 09:06:04

Many years ago a GN member who lived a few miles from me suggested a meet up. I did not recognise the user name so I contacted GN just to ask whether said member was male of female. They refused to give me any information which I suppose is understandable but not helpful and so I didn’t follow anything up. Caution is necessary as has already been said.

flappergirl Tue 09-Apr-24 09:07:21

Fair enough MissAdventure. I'm just urging caution to others as the internet can be a very strange place.

TinSoldier Tue 09-Apr-24 09:08:42

Anyone thinking about joining a new Skype group could protect their anonymity until confident about new contacts. It would be easy to use a separate email account.

The organiser can then send the Zoom meeting ID and the invitee can chose whether or to join the meet.

In the Video settings on Zoom you can set always display participant names to Off.

MissAdventure Tue 09-Apr-24 09:09:01

I'm sure people know that.

I went and got into a car, once, by someone calling herself grannygravy, having never met her in person before. smile

flappergirl Tue 09-Apr-24 09:11:57

Sorry MissAdventure, pressed post before I'd finished. I just found it a little odd that 2 ladies who choose not to post under anonymity would be so happy to engage in a Zoom meeting and to expose their real names on this thread.

Marydoll Tue 09-Apr-24 09:12:29

I am not advising people not to meet on Zoom, but to exercise caution. It is easy to jump right in, without thinking it through first.

Unless you have worked in the area of Safeguarding, it is easy to suggest people are being over cautious.
Tin Soldier has offered good advice,

Marydoll Tue 09-Apr-24 09:13:06

flappergirl

Sorry MissAdventure, pressed post before I'd finished. I just found it a little odd that 2 ladies who choose not to post under anonymity would be so happy to engage in a Zoom meeting and to expose their real names on this thread.

Exactly this!

MissAdventure Tue 09-Apr-24 09:15:17

Perhaps so, but treating every person who doesnt act the same way as you, or you, or me is one of the things that puts people off posting.

Marydoll Tue 09-Apr-24 09:22:25

MissAdventure

Perhaps so, but treating every person who doesnt act the same way as you, or you, or me is one of the things that puts people off posting.

It is not about that Miss A. I think you may have missed the point.

I think some people don't get it and the reasons why people like me are wary. I have extensive experience in this area.
Perhaps my training has made me a suspicious old biddy, but I stand by what I said.

Howeevr, everyone has free will to do what they wish. It is up to them.

Marydoll Tue 09-Apr-24 09:24:37

However!

MissAdventure Tue 09-Apr-24 09:25:12

smile
We are in agreement there, and I'm not meaning the old biddy part.

Aveline Tue 09-Apr-24 09:40:26

What exactly is the danger in meeting via zoom? It's remote. All you'd need to share would be an email address. They can be blocked and changed if necessary.