Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Zoo, anyone?

(42 Posts)
Elegran Fri 26-Aug-16 12:38:06

Tegan has suggested that while she is in the area for a couple of weeks from 24th September we could visit Edinburgh Zoo again. This time last year we had an enjoyable day out there.

I have PMed the people who were there last time (or would have liked to be there) As always, picking a day that suits everyone is the trickiest bit.

ONLY DAYS for Jane10 are FRIDAYS
BEST for Baubles are Fridays (but others might be possible)
BEST for HildajenniJ are Mondays and Thursdays.

OUT are all Tuesdays for three of us.
OUT for Marelli are Tues 27th and Thurs 29th Sept

Weekends are busy.
Glasgow schools half term holiday includes Monday 26th Sept.
(but Edinburgh half term doesn't coincide)

SOOOOOOO - Avoiding weekends when it can get very busy, avoiding Tuesdays, avoiding Thurs 29th, avoiding the Glasgow holiday Monday, we are left with:-

Friday 30 Sept or Friday 7th Oct preferred by several people and not absolutely ruled out by any.
Or - Mon 3rd or Thurs 6th Oct preferred by HildajenniJ but impossible for Jane10
Or - Wed 28th Sep or Wed 5th Oct possible for most but impossible for Jane10.

Do I have that right? And are there any refinements on that, or anyone else who would like to join us?

Marelli Fri 26-Aug-16 14:04:45

Thanks for trying to sort us out again, Elegran!
My pal Bellasgran can't do Fri 5 Oct, which means I can't either, as she's driving!

Elegran Fri 26-Aug-16 14:08:34

OK Marelli - but do you mean Wed 5th Oct or Fri 7th Oct?

baubles Fri 26-Aug-16 14:09:11

Elegran you have the patience of Job! I can't do Thurs 6th either I'm afraid.

Marelli Fri 26-Aug-16 14:43:02

Oops! Can't do Wed 5 October. smile

hildajenniJ Fri 26-Aug-16 15:15:43

I might be able to do a Friday, if I swap with my OH at work. We all have to take a different day off, mine is Monday, his is Friday. The fly in the ointment is that the cleaning company we work for has lost the contract, as at the beginning of October we have a new company to work for. They may well just leave things as they are, or they may have their own rules. We'll just have to wait and see.

Elegran Fri 26-Aug-16 16:18:31

If hildajenniJ swapping days off DOES work, that (I think!) would make it:-

Either - Friday 30 Sept
Or - Friday 7th Oct
Or - Mon 3rd Sept
Or - Wed 28th Sep

It gradually gets whittled down - another few days and there won't be any day left that everyone can do! Then it'll be the names-in-a-hat.

Elegran Fri 26-Aug-16 16:20:38

Should have added that Jane10 can only make the Fridays! So the possibilities are really Friday 30th Sept and Friday 7th Oct (and that is assuming that HildajenniJ can do the swap).

Elegran Mon 29-Aug-16 13:19:55

A deafening silence since last Friday, so I assume that no-one has any more problems with those two Fridays?

Then how about Friday the 30th September?
Last time we met at 11 am. Does that fit in with travel plans?

Tegan
Marelli
Bellasgran
Baubles
Jane10
Me
Plus HildajenniJ if she can organise the day-off swap.

hildajenniJ Mon 29-Aug-16 15:58:40

Swap is all arranged, just the transport to work out now. I'll be there if I can get an early enough train, and then a bus to the zoo. Keep your fingers crossed that no Grandfathers, grandchildren or daughters need me that day. Yipee, I love the zoo.

Jane10 Mon 29-Aug-16 16:13:17

Please don't worry about fitting anything around my availability. At present I'd be cursing and swearing my way round due to my knees playing up. The poor animals! (and Grans of a nervous disposition)

hildajenniJ Mon 29-Aug-16 16:14:15

What time are we all leaving. The cheapest return train ticket is for the 17.00 train from Edinburgh. Is that too early?

Elegran Mon 29-Aug-16 18:05:47

That isn't too early, Hilda the bus takes about 15 mins. does the train stop at Haymarket? That would give you a few minutes grace.

Everyone will be getting a bit weary by then so we will probably be packing it in.

Glad you got the swap fixed.

Elegran Mon 29-Aug-16 18:07:26

Haymarket is better if possible - there is a bus stop and you would miss the Princes Street traffic.

Marmight Mon 29-Aug-16 18:42:40

Only just seen this.. I can do the 30th. Well. At the moment I can. Can you add me to the list Elegran?

Marelli Mon 29-Aug-16 18:52:28

The 30th is fine for Bellasgran and me, too!

Elegran Mon 29-Aug-16 20:23:56

You have been added, Marmight

Marelli You and Bellasgran are on it.

Jane10 Mon 29-Aug-16 21:35:23

It will be like a school trip! Will we all have to walk in pairs and try to steal a penguin or was that just my school trips?blush

Elegran Mon 29-Aug-16 21:46:29

They've upped the ante, Jane You've to steal a panda cub now. (you've to go to China, stuff one into your cabin case, and bring it back to smuggle into Tian Tian's enclosure, ready for the grand press photo-opportunity)

Jane10 Mon 29-Aug-16 21:53:52

grin

hildajenniJ Fri 09-Sep-16 14:51:03

Tickets all arranged. Swapped shift at work. My train arrives at 10:20, so plenty of time for bus to the zoo. Yipee, see you all there.

Jane10 Fri 09-Sep-16 15:11:42

Sorry to say but I'll definitely not be able to attend. I now have an injury to my already arthriticky knee. I'm proud to say its a sports injury. Who knew Aquafit was so dangerous? The physio said she sees a number of damaged hips and knees as people play fast and loose with their limbs if under water. Anyway I'm very sore indeed and am fully occupied with physio exercises, heating, freezing and keeping knee above hip level. Complicated. Sorry I can't be there. Say hello to the Red Pandas for me.envy

Tegan Fri 09-Sep-16 15:34:55

Last time I was there I left it a bit late getting the bus and got caught in the traffic; I had to get off the bus and legit. I don't think many trains leave from Haymarket in the afternoon. I tend to get a train to Haymarket but return from Waverley. My all time favourite creatures are now the pelicans, which is why I was late leaving; I went to say hello to them and couldn't drag myself away!

Elegran Fri 09-Sep-16 16:17:28

Sorry to hear that, Jane It sounds very painful. A sports injury! and you weren't even in the Gransnet Olympics.

Tegan We will make sure that we see the pelicans early on so that you are not tempted to linger at them longer than you have should. I don't suppose Billy Connelly (or his look-alike) will be there this time. I hope we get Barry for the 10-minute talks though.

Elegran Fri 23-Sep-16 18:48:58

Only a week to go now to Friday 30th September. The plan is to meet at the entrance at 11 am.

The final list is
*HildajenniJ
Marmight
Baubles
Marelli
Bellasgran
Tegan
Me*

Have I missed anyone?