Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Burns Night

(78 Posts)
Elegran Thu 11-Dec-14 17:42:19

Nothing yet planned in Edinburgh for January but here are a couple of suggestions:-

1) A repeat of our DIY Burns lunch chez Elegran, which seemed to go down well.

2) A Burns supper out, for instance at Tthe Scottish Restaurant and Cafe at the Gallery at the mound where we have met before, complete with ceilidh. Or somewhere similar.

3) Burns Supper at ROSL (another familiar place to meet) This one has some bigwigs and toasts "After a welcome drink, tuck into the traditional three-course meal, including wine and a glass of whisky, with the Immortal Memory proposed by Rt Rev Brian Smith, former Bishop of Edinburgh. The Toast to the Lassies will be given by the Consul General of Ireland, Pat Bourne, and the reply by Consul General of the USA, Zoja D Bazarnic. "

Elizabeth1 Fri 12-Dec-14 08:35:57

elegran every one of these choices for Burns night looks fabulous. Would you be talking about the Sat or Sunday please let me know. My DD has asked me to keep the 24th January free because she has a Christmas surprise for me on that date and I'm unsure if it'll take me over into the 25th. I'll have to hold fast with Burns night for the moment however I should hear by the 25th December. You're a marvel at organising these events and I'll let you know as soon as. smile

Elegran Fri 12-Dec-14 10:39:09

I was about to add that "other venues, dates and prices are available" after seeing that it is £35 or £40 at the ROSL. Then I also saw it says "Tickets £35; guests £40." and none of us are members, so we may not even be eligible. That is on 31st January 2015 19:00

The Scottish Cafe ceilidh is fully booked for the 24th, so they are doing a repeat on the 25th, and that is selling fast too. We may be unlucky.

I'll have a look around for other places.

Marelli Fri 12-Dec-14 11:29:45

I would love to join in with whatever's happening - and am easy with the choices (though would have to think of when the last train comes back to Fife (23.11, I think?)
Read out 'choice 3' to DH who commented "Not HIM again", when I said that the Consul General of the USA, Zoja D Bazarnic would be giving the reply to the Toast to the Lassies. My DH knows nothing of culture...grin!

Marmight Fri 12-Dec-14 12:05:04

May have to miss it again. tchsad Leaving for south and then Oz around 24th. (can't do 20th either).

Elegran Fri 12-Dec-14 12:18:48

There is a bed here if you don't make the last train, Marelli

Marmight surely it's not beyond us to do something before you go way as well? You miss a lot.

Elizabeth1 Sun 28-Dec-14 15:30:15

elegran my daughter has booked a treat for me and my twin sister at Stobo Castle on Saturday 24th however I'm sure she'll be going home either late Saturday or early Sunday. If you are offering up your home for a Burns celebration on Sunday 25th I would be very happy to come along and then I could drive anyone from Fife who is able to go. Being retired has many advantages - no need to rise early Monday morning unless I feel up to it. Or I have a 12 week old grandson who wants his granny to feed him say around 3.30am. wink

thatbags Sun 28-Dec-14 15:41:04

At the moment you can count me in for whatever whenever smile

Galen Sun 28-Dec-14 15:46:21

Lucky you! I shall raise a glass to you while tuck into my haggis and neaps!

Elegran Sun 28-Dec-14 16:03:36

Shall I go back to the drawing board then? The places in the post on the 11th of December could well be full up by now - but chez moi is not. I seem to remember that Sunday was bad for travelling though.

Elegran Sun 28-Dec-14 16:08:32

So Marelli, Thatbags and Elizabeth1 are OK for the 25th but Marmight will be away from about 24th (and not available 20th) ?

Elizabeth1 not available 24th.

(My dining table is now moved into a larger room, but doesn't seat any more people - it was 12 when we did the last Burns lunch, and quite a squash. 8 are a comfortable fit. 10 at a push)

glassortwo Sun 28-Dec-14 19:57:18

elegran sorry I cant make it, I would have loved to see you all but at the moment with DD back to work full time and the situation with my Father its too far from home and I couldnt be home if needed.

besottedgran Sun 28-Dec-14 22:32:48

Should love to meet up with you all again.

However I have an appointment beginning of January to decide if a small op is on the cards but hopefully - all being well - shall be able to join in festivities!

Marelli Sun 28-Dec-14 22:56:02

That would be lovely, Elegran, thank you! I'll take you up on the lift, Elizabeth1. Hope you can make it, Besottedgran. Fingers crossed!

Jane10 Mon 29-Dec-14 09:29:06

I would be on for a Burns lunch on 25th if that's still OK

baubles Mon 29-Dec-14 09:37:01

I'd love to come along. Thank you Elegran.

Elegran Mon 29-Dec-14 10:10:31

Seven possibles since posting yesterday, I think this could be a goer. The 25th does seem most popular (sorry Marmight How about a preliminary "committee meeting" a couple of weeks earlier to make plans? In a nice coffee shop, of course, and maybe even taking advantage of the bargain Afternoon Teas that are around in January?)

Jane10 Mon 29-Dec-14 10:41:00

It sounds so nice. Its good to have something to look forward to in January. Elegran are you sure you`re OK with all these people in your house? I assume we all bring something or make a contribution? What exactly does DIY mean? Do we have to hunt and prepare the haggis?wink

Elegran Mon 29-Dec-14 11:31:57

Jane10 What we did last time was that everyone brought something - co-ordinated with me first for safety! There was too much food, of course, but that is a usual hazard. The kitchen was full of people mashing neeps and so on - grans are not capable of keeping out of the kitchen and acting like guests.

We had:-

Scotch broth (vegetarian) with home-made bread.
Smoked haddock flan
Haggis
Vegetarian haggis
Mashed potato
Neeps and carrots
Trifle
Scottish cheeses with oatcakes
Coffee and rocky road

A glass of fizz before the meal.
Wine and/or fruit juice
A dram (of course)

I may have missed out something, but I am sure someone will put me right.

In theory we also had a toast to the haggis, another to the laddies, and a reply from the laddies (well, from a gran on their behalf) In practise it was all a bit disorganised but it was great fun.

Elegran Mon 29-Dec-14 11:38:11

Since the hunters at MacSweens are very good at catching and packaging haggis we don't have to go out and hunt them for ourselves any more. Just as well - running round icy hillsides is no fun. The art of getting them to change direction could be lost to future generations.

For puzzled Southrons - haggis have two long legs on one side and two short ones on the other, for running across hillsides without falling over. The trick for catching them is to make them turn round and run the other way, with the short legs on the downhill side. They fall onto their backs, then you can just pick them up.

Elizabeth1 Mon 29-Dec-14 17:42:57

I can bring cottage cheeses and oat cakes tchsmile and I can pick you up marelli

Marelli Mon 29-Dec-14 18:32:58

Shall I make the trifle? I shall clutch it to me in Elizabeth1's car (won't have the top down, though, will we)? shock

rubysong Mon 29-Dec-14 18:33:37

We went to several Burns Nights when we lived in Scotland and our dessert was Cranachan. I think it was flavoured cream with raspberries and oatmeal. I hope you enjoy your celebration all of you who go to the lunch. Will you have some of Rabbie's poetry to add to the atmosphere? (You may gather I am envious of you. Sadly Cornwall is too far away to join you.)

Marelli Mon 29-Dec-14 18:34:22

If Besottedgran's coming, we could give her a lift as well, perhaps? smile

Marelli Mon 29-Dec-14 18:38:03

rubysong, when we celebrated Burns' birthday at Elegran's a couple of years ago, baubles read the 'address to the haggis' grin It was a whopper - Elegran had bought it and it was delicious!