Gransnet forums

News & politics

One Billion Rising for Justice 14 February

(8 Posts)
Oldgreymare Fri 14-Feb-14 10:04:51

blush because of my dancing, not the cause!

Oldgreymare Fri 14-Feb-14 10:04:00

I danced last year! blush

boheminan Fri 14-Feb-14 10:01:08

I'll be going to the Oxford event this year - again on my own (until I find the flash mobsmile.

whenim64 Fri 14-Feb-14 07:47:45

The European Women's Lobby are planning a demonstration outside the Brussells Palais de Justice at lunchtime. I wonder if it will make the news?

whenim64 Fri 14-Feb-14 07:39:18

Today is One Billion Rising For Justice Day.

There are events across the UK and around the world. Lots of publicity on Facebook and a steady stream of YouTube clips.

https://www.facebook.com/vday/posts/10151876429616566

Violence to women legislation has been introduced in many countries in the last year, but the issue still needs to be promoted when governments have to be persuaded to educate and empower girls who are at risk of being subjected to FGM, and married off to men three or four times their age. Even in the UK this is happening, not to mention violence and sexual assaults against women who are finding that the law is struggling to help them get justice.

There will be many gatherings outside centres where justice is dispensed today, to spread the word that the law needs to improve to enable women to be protected when they have been attacked and abused.

mollie Wed 05-Feb-14 12:35:56

If you read the newspapers today the answer has to be no! Gave a lot of women a feel-good moment but as for doing any good? Not at all...

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 05-Feb-14 09:48:52

I can remember all the posting on here. Didn't see anything of the actual events though. Did it actually do any good? smile

whenim64 Wed 05-Feb-14 09:23:53

Do you remember the events of last year, when women all over the world took part in publicity events to raise awareness about violence they wanted to stop happening to women and girls? There were flash mobs dancing in public places and lots of activities and projects to spread the word. Well, it's happening again now, culminating in the Thunderclap which everyone is invited to join.

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/8519-one-billion-rising-for-justice