Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Oscar taking the Pistorius?

(55 Posts)
Soutra Wed 14-May-14 11:08:54

So his trial has ben halted pending " psychological assessment" which could take up to 30 days. So far we have seen histrionics, nausea (and not just on our part) tears and all manner of (cynically I assume) ploys to make us feel HE is the victim. Oh and some very dodgy police work and questionable evidence. Is this S A justice in action?

ffinnochio Sat 13-Sep-14 18:50:39

Bingo

thatbags Sat 13-Sep-14 18:48:31

Seems to be on a Wordpress blog.

thatbags Sat 13-Sep-14 18:47:54

criminallawza.net/2014/09/13/pistorius-remains-in-jeopardy-of-a-murder-conviction/

This works on my iPad. Any good?

thatbags Sat 13-Sep-14 18:46:45

Sorry. I'll try again.

Gracesgran Sat 13-Sep-14 18:45:13

The link doesn't seem to work *thatbags8

ffinnochio Sat 13-Sep-14 18:44:55

Link not working. Old desk-top, living in France??

thatbags Sat 13-Sep-14 18:35:09

Lawerly article that seems to be saying the prosecution could still try for a murder conviction.

Gracesgran Sat 13-Sep-14 10:30:18

There is no evidence this was domestic violence annodomini. If fact the judge has ruled out this being a deliberate act.

annodomini Sat 13-Sep-14 10:27:48

This judge has a reputation for being tough on perpetrators of domestic violence. I don't think he will get an easy ride.

Iam64 Sat 13-Sep-14 09:44:43

Yes, but will he do any jail time? It would (imo) be a travesty if he doesn't

shysal Fri 12-Sep-14 09:38:46

Breaking news! Guilty of culpable homicide. Good!

rubylady Thu 11-Sep-14 12:49:02

Well, he's been cleared of murder, now to wait for verdict on culpable homicide. I really do feel for Reeva's mother and father. It must be breaking their hearts to be going through all this as well as loosing their daughter.

Iam64 Mon 18-Aug-14 08:12:14

What did you mean by "these cases cost a few pennies" Ruby?

I'm opposed to capital punishment. I'd rather my taxes went to keeping people alive, and contained as long as necessary, than towards state sponsored killing.

absent Sun 17-Aug-14 23:41:32

Couldn't agree more Eloethan.

Eloethan Sun 17-Aug-14 23:33:35

rubylady Since you ask, I am glad that we no longer have capital punishment - it is murder by the state and I think it's barbaric. I think research has also found that capital punishment does not act as a deterrent.

Deedaa Sun 17-Aug-14 21:19:55

I enjoyed my time on a jury, although endlessly frustrated by the foreman who insisted on praying before he could do anything and the man who didn't think the defendant had done what he was accused of "But he'd obviously done something so we should find him guilty" !!!

When we filed in to start on a new trial it turned out that no body had bothered to turn up for it. The Judge was spitting feathers and she discharged us because we'd been messed about for nothing.

rubylady Sun 17-Aug-14 11:12:24

Grannyknot Sounds like you found it fulfilling. I also did jury service, some years ago now but it was really good. Sat around for the first week and then got a week long case. I enjoyed piecing it all together and talking through with the varied personalities who had been called to sit. I would do it again if my health was better at the drop of a hat. smile

Grannyknot Sun 17-Aug-14 08:27:31

I enjoyed it rl in as much as having to apply logical thinking and weigh up the evidence and come up with a verdict, in a group.

Some of it was fascinating 're human nature when telling porkies - e.g. someone wove a long and complicated and quite convincing tale explaining his innocence, but then for no reason, right at the end, add that he was in the vicinity of where the crime was committed.

I felt satisfied that the people who had been found guilty were indeed guilty when they all had many similar previous convictions (theft, drug dealing). But it saddened me too. It certainly is not walking on the 'sunny side of the street'.

I also enjoyed in between cases sitting around, chatting, knitting, someone bought in Scrabble...

rubylady Sun 17-Aug-14 02:04:47

Grannyknot Apart from the jurors you had to deal with, how did you find jury service?

These cases cost a few pennies, how does anyone feel about keeping convicted (I'm not saying anyone discussed is guilty) prisoners in prison for extreme lengths of time against capital punishment?

Gracesgran Sat 16-Aug-14 19:04:36

Ugh more!smile

I do believe in the jury system but I will admit that is only in theory as I have, so far, never been called for jury service. Sadly though I recognise the sort of people you describe so you have definitely made me think Grannyknot

Grannyknot Sat 16-Aug-14 18:16:39

I'm trying to think what is that much better about the jury system (12 people) as opposed to having a judge and two assessors (3 people).

I've done jury duty and I remember how my heart sank when I realised how completely incompetent some of the jurors on two of my panels were - I knew we'd be there for hours if not days because they just didn't seem to understand what they were doing - e.g. having to base discussion and decisions purely on the evidence. And some of these people were also so verbose and opinionated, it took a lot of effort and energy to have discourse with them on the guilt or innocence of the accused person, because they had made up their minds not based on fact. Thinking of one man in particular, he broke every rule in the 'Juror's handbook', discussing the case with jurors on other panels, bragging about what he thought the outcome should be and how he was right etc etc.

So then I think that just having 3 legal professionals is not such a bad thing.

There'll be more legal air time soon when the Dewani case starts!

Gracesgran Sat 16-Aug-14 16:36:55

I haven't been on the forum for a while so I am catching up with some threads. My first thought is that, although I understand why they moved to none jury trials in South Africa but surely it is time to start bringing them back.

My second is to recall a recent programme on the radio where a legal chap was explaining just how much of what the prosecutor has been allowed to get away with under SA laws would not be allowed in or courts.

My third and final thought was did it really need so much air-time smile

Grannyknot Sun 10-Aug-14 09:40:36

ruby there has been a lot of evidence (by the defence) about why he didn't get Reeva and run - mainly that he was on his stumps, bedroom door was locked and so on.

I've been following the trial by reading the SA press reports and by watching the Africa News channel. There is no compelling evidence to support the prosecution case of an argument preceding the shooting. A very confounding case.

We'll have to wait now for Judge Masipa.

rubylady Sat 09-Aug-14 23:29:14

But I will be sat there eagerly awaiting the outcome with my brew at 9.30am, especially as my son will be back in college then.

What sane person shoots four times through a door with no threat and no self defence of the person on the other side?

If he thought it was an intruder and that Reeva was in bed, why wouldn't he get her and get out of the house? It just doesn't make sense. Plus his dogs were supposed to be in the grounds and yet never barked? If they heard him shouting, they would do the opposite and skulk off somewhere, do you think? Mine does if I raise my voice but barks if she hears a noise outside.

glammanana Sat 09-Aug-14 17:45:25

Looking to the 11th of September for any kind of outcome on this according to the reports,still such a long time for the family of this poor girl to wait.