Respect my choice, I hear you say,
The decision is only mine,
I shall drift in peace to an endless sleep,
And I shall choose my moment in time.

You can hold my hand so I know you're there,
You can answer my parting call,
Give me your blessing and let me go,
That's the most special gift of all.

As for me, I'd want to be spared endless suffering and pain if I was dying.
And you?

granjura Mon 09-Nov-15 10:29:38

Another poor woman came to Zuich to die a few days ago, from Wales- suffering with debilitating Motor Neurone disease. Her daughters came with her to help her on the journey, and to hold her hand and be with her at the end- and are now possibly threatened with prosecution (up to 14 years in prison!) - this is so wicked and wrong. Should have the daughters just let her mother travel alone! (which she couldn't have done of course).

I wrote to Dignity in Dying to offer to help at this end, if ever they knew of someone having to travel alone for fear of their loved one/s being prosecuted for helping them - but DiD replied that they could NOT in any way, shape or form- even put people in touch- as the anti assisted suicide lobbyist would pounce on any opportunity to prosecute them, were they shown to assist anyone, in any way at all.

Do we have any legal experts here on GN. What would happen- if a group of permanently resident in Switzerland, with dual nationality- would give assistance at this end- by picking up at the airport and being there for them, to held hands or hug, talk, provide music and favourite foods, whatever they require? Could we be prosecuted from the UK?

thatbags Fri 11-Sep-15 21:00:23

There sometimes comes a time when the best palliative care in the world is not what is needed, but a self-chosen release from suffering.

POGS Fri 11-Sep-15 20:54:40

Posted on other thread.

Nelliemoser Fri 11-Sep-15 19:41:27

Ana Those are my thoughts as well. Not enough good palliative care available.

There is probably a very fine line in giving enough pain medication to keep the patient pain free and giving them so much they die perhaps sooner than they would otherwise. I wonder how doctors deal with that one.

Ana Fri 11-Sep-15 18:32:18

Yes, hospice care may indeed be wonderful, but so many more die in hospitals which haven't the staff or facilities to ensure a peaceful and pain-free end of life experience. I agree that a lot more needs to be done.

Alea Fri 11-Sep-15 18:19:37

Let's not underestimate the fantastic care and the dedication of end of life care in the hospices. It is not a clear cut "black and white" alternative, a long drawn out death involving much suffering OR assisted euthanasia. Maybe more investment needs to be made into hospice provision and more research into effective end of life care.

granjura Fri 11-Sep-15 18:02:27

All I can do, is to repeat the offer made on 14th of July.

And now, time to give GN a rest- sadly.

FarNorth Fri 11-Sep-15 17:25:37

Probably the SNP abstained as it applies only to England.

Playing God - medical staff already do this as they battle 'heroically' keeping people alive when there is really no hope.
The patient is often unaware of their true situation, believing that there must be hope of their recovery as the doctors continue to subject them to treatments.

durhamjen Fri 11-Sep-15 16:33:10

I recorded it and am watching it now. I've seen the results, and I would like to know what happened to the other 200 MPs.

Anniebach Fri 11-Sep-15 14:38:16

Why would they vote against because they are too scared? They like us all have their opinions on this and have voted , what have they to be scared of?

BabsAnn Fri 11-Sep-15 14:31:35

They've voted against it. Personally I think they're being cowardly. It would be a real headache for them to do properly and ethically and they are in a nutshell just too scared.

POGS Fri 11-Sep-15 10:46:29

Watch the debate live 'now' on t.v. if you have the opportunity.

The Assisted Dying Bill is being debated in Parliament on free view 131 , better than reading newspapers and media comments. Hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

LyndaW Fri 11-Sep-15 09:56:59

They're debating the right to die today. www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34208624
I'm vehemently against it. I just think it's a horribly slippery slope. Of course I am hugely sympathetic to families who have terminally ill loved ones but where do we stop on playing God?

durhamjen Sat 15-Aug-15 23:29:22

On average one person a fortnight goes from Britain to Dignitas.
They shouldn't need to.

durhamjen Sat 15-Aug-15 12:44:26

www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6589916/Bob-Cole-dies-at-Swiss-Dignitas-clinic.html

grrrranny Fri 14-Aug-15 20:32:18

Granjura Humane was exactly the word I thought of when I read your offer of support and really that is the only word I think applies - kind, generous of mind and spirit perhaps apply as well but I am struggling to say how full of admiration for your humanity I am. Not well phrased perhaps but I don't know how to express my admiration.

granjura Fri 14-Aug-15 18:25:24

Sorry Luckygirl- Bob was not my friend- I never met him. I just reall felt for him as his story was all over the news- and as a Swiss/Brit/Swiss- his plight got to me.

As said, thought a long time about posting the above. But the thought of someone travelling here without the support of a good friend or a relative- especially for someone very elderly, just breaks my heart just to think of it. So being at the airport, listening and holding their hand- would be just the most humane thing to do.

Luckygirl Fri 14-Aug-15 15:51:54

I hope that your friend had a peaceful end. flowers

granjura Fri 14-Aug-15 15:28:03

The announcement has just been made that Bob has now died. Out of respect I shall close my computer down- and not rise to anyone's bait- life is too precious.

nigglynellie Fri 14-Aug-15 14:32:12

What a wonderfully kind gesture granjura, what a kind heart you have. I do support assisted dying having been involved with two much loved family members and watch them succumb to terminal disease, and seeing the brutal path of that disease insidiously and remorslessly overwhelm two very vibrant people. Obviously there have to be safeguards, which really shouldn't be too difficult to put in place, but I do believe very strongly that adults in an end of life situation should be able to terminate their lives at at a time of their choosing if this is what they truly desire. Being forced to battle on to the bitter end, unless that is what someone wishes is, imo, just plain cruel.

Bellanonna Fri 14-Aug-15 13:17:46

granjura. smile

Ana Fri 14-Aug-15 12:42:30

You could try sending FitzyFitz a PM, granjura.

granjura Fri 14-Aug-15 12:38:58

I do wonder if FitzyFitz is still on GN- it would be nice to copy his/her poem on the Dying with Dignity site- but would not want to do this without his permission. Maybe s/he could do this?

Ana Fri 14-Aug-15 11:53:36

I agree. You have a very kind heart, granjura smile

annsixty Fri 14-Aug-15 11:48:40

That is one of the most generous offers I have ever heard granjura possibly THE most.