Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rev Ian Paisley hs died

(17 Posts)
papaoscar Fri 12-Sep-14 21:32:39

Just imagine if Ian Paisley had been top dog in the SNP!...RIP (not my favourite person.)

durhamjen Fri 12-Sep-14 20:42:52

While I was out driving today I was listening to radio fivelive. People on there were saying what a nice man Paisley was, and how quietly he spoke when not on the TV.
Then he would go onstage and do his usual rant, then wink at the people he had previously been talking to. Would Ireland be as it is now without his rants? I agree with you MiceElf about the later years. Martin McGuinness looked really upset when he said he had lost a friend.

Don't forget Richard Kiel is there too, to keep them in order.

GadaboutGran Fri 12-Sep-14 20:39:33

Agree with MiceElf. It must have hurt him deeply when he was ousted by the congregation he founded when they could not achieve the same level of Christian acceptance of former enemies. I guess his public persona was quite different from his personal one.

MiceElf Fri 12-Sep-14 20:00:13

Yes, Paisley was an obnoxious über Protestant and some of his earlier ratings about 'the whore of Babylon' aka the RCC were particularly unpleasant.

But, in later years I can only say that something of a miracle occurred. The lion laid down with lamb and McGuinness and Paisley worked together for the good of NornInd. Both intransigent men learned to live and work together. And for that I am forever grateful. I do not share his politics or his theology but I do send condolences to his wife and children and hope and pray that co operation and unity will continue in that valued part of the UK.

sparkygran Fri 12-Sep-14 18:30:15

Although I`m from N Ireland Ian Paisley was not top of my Christmas card list - love the thought of himself, Donald Sinden and Joan Rivers all I can is poor God

Nelliemoser Fri 12-Sep-14 18:12:42

Paisley was not a nice man at all. As a Christian he did not exactly radiate the doctrine of "love one another."

mrshat Fri 12-Sep-14 18:04:34

Agree with Mishap. Sad about Donald Sinden tho' - loved his speaking voice.

Mishap Fri 12-Sep-14 16:12:01

I always found Paisley distasteful - his bellicose shouting was decidedly offensive.

Pittcity Fri 12-Sep-14 15:43:00

John Bardon was best known as Jim Branning in Eastenders!
A bit like an episode of Last of the Summer Wine at the Pearly Gates.

MiniMouse Fri 12-Sep-14 15:09:38

grin yep, can hear them now!!

GillT57 Fri 12-Sep-14 14:18:33

Have wonderful vision of Paisley and Rivers and Sinden grin all shouting above each other....

Soutra Fri 12-Sep-14 13:44:32

Who is John Bardon, Pittcity?

Pittcity Fri 12-Sep-14 13:42:02

John Bardon too today. sad

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Sep-14 13:38:04

I feel quite sad about that.

Soutra Fri 12-Sep-14 13:26:21

Enunciating beautifully and sounding suitably patrician, of course!smile

Ana Fri 12-Sep-14 13:20:23

With Donald Sinden trying to shout over them in his capacity as referee! grin

Soutra Fri 12-Sep-14 13:15:20

Never doubting his sincerity, my memory of him is as a firebrand, a colourful if shouty character.
I wonder if things are getting noisy in heaven today? I would love to envisage a meeting between him and Joan Rivers smile