Gransnet forums

News & politics

To stay up or not to stay up

(48 Posts)
whitewave Wed 17-Sep-14 21:09:12

It seems an historically important vote tomorrow and I don't know whether to stay up or not. Is anyone else planning to do so?

rubylady Fri 19-Sep-14 05:42:32

Night Scotland, night all. smile

rubylady Fri 19-Sep-14 05:42:07

It's a No. Off to bed, have to be up again to go to the cemetery. My baby brother would have been 36 years old today. flowers

Grannybug Fri 19-Sep-14 05:25:12

smile nelliemoser

Nelliemoser Fri 19-Sep-14 05:23:47

I am not so much staying as not sleeping. You are a hardy lot it is just not my scene to await the results. What will be will be.

rubylady Fri 19-Sep-14 05:15:45

BBC Forecast announcement at 5.14 am that it will be a No vote. After 26 votes out of 32.

rubylady Fri 19-Sep-14 04:22:52

He has made an amazing recovery although he still cannot use one arm, well, a few weeks ago anyway. But nothing is going to stop him doing his job though, is it? smile

And true, something has to be done in Government now that they realise how unhappy people are. We have to stand up and be counted, not just spout off about it. And all ages, not just a select few. The turnout tonight has been fantastic.

I, for one, am very happy that people seem to be pleased that their area has voted No.

Grannybug Fri 19-Sep-14 04:15:57

smile scooter

Scooter58 Fri 19-Sep-14 04:09:30

I hope so too Grannybug.

Grannybug Fri 19-Sep-14 04:08:48

He has make an amazing recovery though hasn't he?

Grannybug Fri 19-Sep-14 04:07:43

It's being said tonight as the results come in that it's not only the Scots who are fed up with the way we are being governed. I hope whatever the outcome that I good things will come from this.

rubylady Fri 19-Sep-14 04:03:27

Someone has found Andrew Marr in a cupboard and woke him up, lol.

rubylady Fri 19-Sep-14 04:00:27

It is looking like No though, although Dundee just voted Yes.

I know, but we're not comfortable with the Government neither. It is a problem for all of us, not just Scotland. if we can all fight for a better Britain next year, then surely this is a better way to go?

Grannybug Fri 19-Sep-14 03:45:27

I disliked the behaviour of some big corporations and the various allegations that no one seemd able to verify re increased costs etc. it seemed that as Scotland was preparing to take a historic and serious decision regarding its future politicians and some businesses adopted behaviours more suited to the playground. I saw this a good reason to rethink the issues and move to the yes camp.

rubylady Fri 19-Sep-14 03:24:13

Why would that be? What changed your mind?

Grannybug Fri 19-Sep-14 03:14:37

Sorry Rubylady I didn't answer your question! Must be getting tired! At the start of the campaign I would have voted No but towards the end it would have been yes

Grannybug Fri 19-Sep-14 03:10:45

Hi Rubylady I don't have a vote as I live in England. People were certainly discussing the referendum today in the city in various places. I am impressed with the turn out which appears to show democracy in action.

rubylady Fri 19-Sep-14 02:52:45

Hi Grannybug Would you tell us what you would have voted? How is it there in Edinburgh? Are there lots of people up and watching/listening in? smile

Grannybug Fri 19-Sep-14 02:43:21

I'm in Edinburgh tonight and will be awake as long as possible listening as the results come in. I'm a Scot who lives in England.

rubylady Fri 19-Sep-14 02:41:32

Hi, my late night friend. I know, me too. Nothing political, I just love the place and want it to be a part of us. There is a lot of waffle on though and looking through threads while votes are counted. smile

willsandco Fri 19-Sep-14 02:23:55

oh yes, I am up - I always stay up for elections. I am a bit of a political animal. I have hoped all along that Scotland wouldn't break off from the rest of us.

rubylady Fri 19-Sep-14 02:12:48

Anyone else up watching? The first two to the NO vote.

rosequartz Thu 18-Sep-14 22:55:49

No, but will one of you wake me up please when the result comes in.
This is such a historic moment but I really can't stay awake.

moon

hildajenniJ Thu 18-Sep-14 19:27:32

Going to bed early. Up for work at 03.00 so I'll put the TV on to see how it's going. Dd, Si L and my DGC live in Argyll and Bute so I'm very interested.

henetha Thu 18-Sep-14 19:23:51

If I stay up I would only fall asleep anyway, so might as well go to bed.
But I shall be quite keen to get up early to see how the results are going.
This is a historic moment, isn't it. But I am a bit fed up with it being done to death by the media so will be pleased when it's over now.

Polygran Thu 18-Sep-14 19:14:24

Planning to watch some if I am awake! Just landed home from Canada so jet lag may help (or not)
Am both fascinated and horrified by this referendum