Gransnet forums

News & politics

I find this worrying

(64 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sun 23-Nov-14 18:48:29

the fact that Ian Duncan Smith laughed

Ana Mon 24-Nov-14 10:16:08

"As Mr Duncan Smith and his colleagues left, the speaker John Bercow said he had no power to stop them, but said the view that it was a disgrace there was no minister there ”may be widely shared"."

I don't understand that bit. It was a disgrace there was no minister there?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Nov-14 10:29:08

No matter which they were laughing at, the woman's case or the comments of the other lot, you would think they could manage to debate a serious subject without resorting to laughter. No wonder people are looking for another party to vote for.

Overgrown schoolboys on the one side, dunderheads on the other. hmm

Very sad.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Nov-14 10:30:30

Ana they must have cluttered off before the end of the session. (food banks)

Penstemmon Mon 24-Nov-14 22:34:48

That is the downside of our Parliamentary adversarial system! Politicians use derision, smirking and general yah, boo, hissing to undermine one another and point score. it is 'traditional' but really not terribly constructive!
I am often saddened to see how few MPs are in the house when ,what I consider, important issues are being 'debated'.

Ana Mon 24-Nov-14 22:41:14

Yes, I certainly agree with you there, Penstemmon.

It's shocking to see all those empty seats, especially when the issue is something which has been highlighted by the media and is of great interest to the general public.

rosesarered Mon 24-Nov-14 23:00:25

IDS 'laughing at something' [which we don't know what it is, could be ED Mill. pulling another funny face] could be anything actually.Are we actually wasting time with this?He must be tired, with all that grinding of the faces of the poor then, but still has some energy to laugh, the man should be taken out and shot! Why waste time with a trial.

rosesarered Mon 24-Nov-14 23:02:17

Though you are right Penstemmon and Ana about the shortage of bums on seats.

durhamjen Mon 24-Nov-14 23:28:24

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFYQFjAH&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fids_mp&ei=0b1zVMqxDdXrarDKgsgL&usg=AFQjCNH9tIsBL4PW1oWo-z1m8ewQVUaI_w&bvm=bv.80185997,d.d2s

I think these are Iain Duncan Smith's tweets.
I am worried about these.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 10:53:25

Some of those are quite funny. The one with Farage and his teacup made me laugh aloud.

They are obviously from a spoof account. (no little blue tick)

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 10:53:54

You don't actually need the little blue tick to recognise that though.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 11:03:35

I find it a little bit worrying that you thought that was a real IDS Twitter account jendurham. grin

Ana Tue 25-Nov-14 11:06:34

Oh, please...they're obviously spoofs! grin

Were you really serious, durhamjen?

Riverwalk Tue 25-Nov-14 11:08:30

So funny! grin

Nonu Tue 25-Nov-14 11:25:40

They were really,really funny !

POGS Tue 25-Nov-14 12:42:06

Well I never thought about it being a 'spoof'. Thank you for making me look at with fresh eyes.

As I have posted on another thread where this link was given a 'double airing', I made the big mistake of getting hook, lined and sinkered into responding. confused

Now I feel a fool to know it was a load of old crap and I was so gullable.

I thought it was odd, talk about naeive. blush

Ana Tue 25-Nov-14 18:39:43

www.ibtimes.co.uk/cameron-twitter-smith-gaffe-490339

You do have to be so careful when posting Twitter links, if you're not really au fait with it! grin

Iam64 Tue 25-Nov-14 18:41:31

I don't care what IDS found so amusing, I do care that his mind wasn't on the subject under discussion.

I also mind about the way in which the poorest and most vulnerable in our society are being made poorer and more vulnerable. IDS, his reforms, along with the cuts on public service and the NHS have caused untold misery. Women's refuges are closing as a result of the cuts. It's depressing angry

Ana Tue 25-Nov-14 19:07:33

Absolutely, Iam64. Slapped hands all round.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 19:26:02

Ana grin

See. jen needn't worry if the likes of DC get taken in by it all. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 19:27:20

Ana do you always read the International Business Times?

#respect!

GrannyTwice Tue 25-Nov-14 19:41:35

Iam- if only IDS had a mind to keep or not keep on a subject. How does that man survive? Just seen him being interviewed re tax credits roll out to more claimants ( that'll make 3 and a dog then). Nice that Ana finds all he has done and the others so amusing. Still the closure of women's refuges for example is an absolute hoot isn't it- stupid women, choosing men who beat them up.

Ana Tue 25-Nov-14 19:45:52

Yes, that's right, single me out, G2 as you always do given the chance.

Ana Tue 25-Nov-14 19:48:16

Actually, what you said doesn't make sense. 'Nice that Ana finds all he has done and the others so amusing.' But the sarcasm makes up for that, I suppose...

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 19:53:03

I don't understand that post Grannytwice. Totally confused

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 19:54:11

Where in this thread has anyone laughed at women who need a refuge? Or applauded the closing of such Refuges?