Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is our Prime Minister really this dense?

(128 Posts)
thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 16:20:24

@BBCBreaking: David Cameron says internet firms have a "responsibility" to stop terrorists using their services to plan attacks t.co/Yr4SGuD6fS

Just as arms dealers have a responsibility to stop people who buy guns from killing others? Just like that, huh?

annodomini Sat 29-Nov-14 10:39:56

Perhaps it's just as well that much of our constitution is unwritten. Any attempt to formulate it would take many years of royal commissions which would change their terms of reference with every change of government. And, in the end (if there was one) come to no very definite conclusion.

Elegran Sat 29-Nov-14 10:09:15

The British constitution relies on reference to precedent, recorded in accounts of legal cases. Unwritten as a single document but not non-existent.

durhamjen Fri 28-Nov-14 22:36:54

That's not a constitution, GrannyTwice. A written constitution should be the same for all people.I imagine your unwritten constitution would be very different from mine.

papaoscar Fri 28-Nov-14 22:21:39

So at last David Cameron shows his hand. He is prepared to risk the future of the UK and Europe just to try and save his own bacon. He has no mandate to do this and his actions are those of a desperate man trapped by his own incompetence. So, dense? Yes, I think the is. A clever man would not have got into this mess. The best place for him is the dustbin of history.

papaoscar Fri 28-Nov-14 21:03:33

Of course that parrot's not dead, * gt * , its only resting!

GrannyTwice Fri 28-Nov-14 20:57:11

Of course there is a British Constitution - it's just that large chunks of it are unwritten! I despair!!!!

Soutra Fri 28-Nov-14 20:53:58

As Francis Urquart says "You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment".

Soutra Fri 28-Nov-14 20:52:07

Just because a member chooses not to get drawn into a political discussion (if that is what this is) does not mean he or she has no background in or experience of politics! So you really cannot make assumptions of this kindgrin

janeainsworth Fri 28-Nov-14 19:48:31

papaoscar
Yes you are right, but I was referring to the separation of powers between the legislature, the executive and the judiciary.
the long answer is here

papaoscar Fri 28-Nov-14 18:59:27

What British Constitution might that be, * janeainesworth* ? Would you kindly refer me to a copy, please, as I've always understood that no such thing exists.

soontobe Fri 28-Nov-14 18:27:08

It really doesnt take much of a guess to say what I have written.
Answers would be different if posters had much personal knowledge.

Soutra Fri 28-Nov-14 18:11:36

One of the advantages of anonymity on GN is that we all start from a "level playing field" but I do not think you can make any assumptions about a person's professional or political background based on what they do not say.

annodomini Fri 28-Nov-14 18:00:50

In a goup the size of Gransnet, I doubt if only one person would be or have been involved in politics.

durhamjen Fri 28-Nov-14 17:43:21

How do you know, soontobe?
There are quite a few on here, I think.

soontobe Fri 28-Nov-14 16:18:22

annodomini, you are the poster I was talking about.
I dont think there are any others here.

durhamjen Fri 28-Nov-14 16:12:32

Of course he is dense and ignorant.
This is from the People's Assembly about Austerity.

www.thepeoplesassembly.org.uk/10_myths

annodomini Fri 28-Nov-14 15:55:29

I dont think any of us have gone anywhere near politics[apart from one poster] for all of our moanings.

Speak for yourself, soontobe.

Jane10 Fri 28-Nov-14 14:40:34

If you don't have anything to hide why worry about anyone checking up on you? I suspect that I theoretically could be subject to scrutiny due to my connections with a high ranking officer in a Muslim army and with Facebook contacts with others I have met in various countries around the middle and far east but "they" are welcome to monitor my every phone call and Facebook posting -they would soon give up after the sheer tedium of the irrelevant stuff we exchange. YooHoo MI5 if you`re reading this!! A nice wee change from following up all these YES voters!

Granny23 Fri 28-Nov-14 14:26:41

On second thoughts I should not have opened that particular can of worms on Gransnet smile I do not think I should say anymore just simply advise anyone interested to google something like 'Yes campaign MI5'. I am not paranoid, I did not suggest that ALL yes supporters were targeted and I think I'll leave it at that.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 28-Nov-14 13:49:21

d not s

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 28-Nov-14 13:48:48

I do not believe that all 'yes' voters in the Scottish campaign are now classed as enemies of the British State! Or that they are closely monitores.

Don't you go getting paranoid Granny23!

Nonu Fri 28-Nov-14 13:22:29

I also was curious about that ! Granny

soontobe Fri 28-Nov-14 12:36:08

The yes campaign for Scotland?
And that makes you closely monitored?
How do you know you are closely monitored?

Granny23 Fri 28-Nov-14 12:06:35

It is either a knee-jerk reaction or else it is a carefully considered statement, which is part of the process of conditioning us to accept further intrusion into our private lives. If the next atrocity is planned via mobile phone, will he call for the phone companies to monitor all calls? What about twitter?

I may well see things differently because I am aware that as an active & vocal supporter of the YES campaign, I, and thousands of my fellow supporters are classified as 'enemies of the British State' and thereby closely monitored. If MI5 et al would direct their efforts at real terrorists they might be more successful at keeping track of them.

soontobe Fri 28-Nov-14 11:35:04

Of course he is not dense and ignorant.
I dont think any of us have gone anywhere near politics[apart from one poster] for all of our moanings.

He isnt going to know everything about everything, but who does?
And anti conservative voters would be the first to moan at him if he started neglecting his family.
Everyone only has 24 hours in the day.