Gransnet forums

News & politics

That would be me then

(27 Posts)
MiceElf Wed 26-Nov-14 07:36:32

I know the Daily Express is a bit of a joke but the report in today's paper is truly disgraceful.

Once again it is scaremongering about immigrants and points its finger at what it calls 'hidden immigrants' that is, those who were born to one foreign born parent.

This, of course, would include Churchill, Michael Portillo, Boris Johnson, a great swathe of the health service, many academics and - me.

I find it sickening to see this sort of comment in a national newspaper and I wonder how many members of this forum would be numbered among those the D E is targeting.

GrannyTwice Thu 27-Nov-14 07:51:45

The DE never indulges in sloppy journalism - instead it deliberately and with malice aforethought pursues a particularly nasty right wing agenda - the spin it gives to certain information ( in this case from Migration Watch) is deliberate. BTW, the Migration Watch report includes children born to parents where either or both parent is foreign born - would include NF's and NC's children then. The head of MW was given a peerage by DC.

mollie65 Thu 27-Nov-14 07:07:33

I think it meant those with a foreign born parent now living in this country - i.e. first generation - but sloppy journalism as you would expect from DE

MiceElf Thu 27-Nov-14 06:24:33

Ahem, I think King Billy and Queen Charlotte were on my list up thread...

absent Wed 26-Nov-14 23:43:50

Queen Victoria and her beloved Prince Consort seem to have been omitted from the list of immigrant royalty, not to mention the entire House of Hanover and William of Orange. They seem to have made something of a habit of it. It was only American divorcées who weren't acceptable.

FlicketyB Wed 26-Nov-14 22:24:43

Half-Irish. My paternal grandfather joined the British Army to fight the Boers, he never got to South Africa but served in the army for nearly 50 years, rising through the ranks from Private to Major, with decorations from the British Monarch and the Pope, he was a devout catholic.

My maternal grandmother was also Irish. My mother can remember seeing signs in windows, saying 'No children, no dogs, no Irish'.

The position of the Irish and prejudices againts their religion in England 100 years ago reminds me of public attitudes to those who profess the Moslem faith now

Mishap Wed 26-Nov-14 11:56:18

I am a total mishmash from the past: Irish certainly, and also my granny was said to have (in the un-PC parlance of the day) a "touch of the tar brush." She certainly had comparitively dark skin, flat nose and very curly black hair. Who knows?

My siblings and I have dark complexions, brown eyes and dark brown hair - this from a blond blue-eyed father. Bit if a throwback, that's us!

We are all a mishmash - and none the worse for that - hybrid vigour!

annodomini Wed 26-Nov-14 11:27:56

What makes us British? If you go back far enough, all of us will be descended from Anglo Saxon, Norman, Viking invaders and, in my case, probably Celts from Ireland. My GD1 has African/Caribbean ancestry to add to the mix and is every bit as 'British' as the rest of the family.

Eloethan Wed 26-Nov-14 10:10:29

It's funny how people can make exceptions for themselves or their own but then want to pull up the drawbridge once they're safely inside. People have said the same thing about immigrants for as long as I can remember - even when they were being persuaded to come here to fill jobs that others weren't keen to do.

annodomini Wed 26-Nov-14 09:32:48

I wonder how many Express 'journalists' (I use the inverted commas advisedly) come of 'mixed' lineage.

Gagagran Wed 26-Nov-14 09:23:13

My maternal Great-Grandmothers were sisters (Grandparents were therefore first cousins) and were immigrants from Ireland. Most families in the UK will have such ancestry not too far back so it would be hypocritical to condemn immigrants per se.

The problem is with the huge recent numbers and the pressures that has brought to housing, welfare, education and the NHS and I think that is why people get so het up. We need to address those issues if, as is claimed, the economy needs immigrants.

Iam64 Wed 26-Nov-14 09:22:24

I too am Spartacus grin

MiceElf Wed 26-Nov-14 08:59:05

Indeed

Catherine of Braganza
Maria de Modena
Henrietta Maria
Anne of Denmark
Charlotte of Mecklenburg
William of Orange

Immigrants all.

Nelliemoser Wed 26-Nov-14 08:49:31

I think the most recent royal immigrants were The Duke of Edinburgh. aka Prince Philip of Greece, George Vs consort Queen Mary of Teck and Edward Vlls consort Queen Alexandra from Denmark. Before that most Royal generations had European lineage going way back to the Norman conquest.

Eloethan Wed 26-Nov-14 08:33:33

"Hidden immigrants" - like some sort of dirty secret. Bloody cheek.

janerowena Wed 26-Nov-14 08:31:06

You only have to read the DE's weather forecasts to know that it is aimed at people with very short memories. This week according to them we are reaching only -7C and are under a blanket of snow. Most of my nephews and nieces have married incomers. All lovely hardworking kind people.

Riverwalk Wed 26-Nov-14 08:22:48

And they live on welfare! grin

GrannyTwice Wed 26-Nov-14 08:20:10

Or even grin

GrannyTwice Wed 26-Nov-14 08:19:32

Well we could start with the Royal Family couldn't we? [ grin]

hildajenniJ Wed 26-Nov-14 08:16:44

I'm with all of you on this one. DH insists upon buying D.E. It drives me mad. There is absolutely nothing to read in it. It is purely sensationalism most of the time.
I have no problem at all with immigration. If we look far enough back into history I think most of us would have incomers in our families.

Riverwalk Wed 26-Nov-14 08:03:30

Mice you're wrong about Bozzer - he's fully an immigrant, having been born in NYC!

He's got a bit of a tax problem there at the moment grin.

GrannyTwice Wed 26-Nov-14 08:02:13

The whole issue about immigrants and how they are being portrayed as the cause of all our problems is increasingly chillingly familiar to those of us who know our history.

Kiora Wed 26-Nov-14 08:01:43

flowers MiceElf have a good day. At least I'm fully awake. Hi ho hi ho off to work I go smile

MiceElf Wed 26-Nov-14 07:57:14

Well I agree, I saw the link on Twitter, but I think we know what these s*****are up to.

Kiora Wed 26-Nov-14 07:54:26

And while I'm at it can someone please let theses rags newspapers know that celebrity who's shagging seeing who, is not I repeat not news. Ps this is not a good start to my Wednesday. I should have read a more genteel post

Kiora Wed 26-Nov-14 07:47:58

Not me but my lovely children. I'm married to an Irishman. I'd like to point out to the D.E that he was educated in Ireland came to the U.K at 17 has paid his taxes from that day on. Served in the british army. Raised three children. Who in turn pay their taxes. He's been nothing but an asset. So there. I just don't get it. Most immigrants come here fully educated and wanting to work. Its all probably a political smoke screen to hide what's really going on and distract the public from finding out. I'm sick of it. We should stop buying newspapers that peddle this shiterubbish.