Gransnet forums

News & politics

They still don't get it

(195 Posts)
MiceElf Tue 02-Dec-14 18:33:35

Claridges that is. A breastfeeding mother was instructed to cover up by a waiter who appeared with a large table napkin to hide the baby and mother.

Apart from the fact that this violates the terms of the Equalities Act, it's amazing that these attitudes still persist in some ghastly institutions.

GrannyTwice Tue 09-Dec-14 20:24:05

Won't go to Waitrose for free coffee as I am committed to supporting the individual coffee shops in my town that Waitrose is trying to drive out of business

granjura Tue 09-Dec-14 20:19:30

Good job I am a trained and professional translator then ;)

This is all a bit silly and childish, so will leave you to it.

Ana Tue 09-Dec-14 19:28:52

I'm very slow on the uptake, aren't I? tchgrin

(Will now do the same...smile)

rosequartz Tue 09-Dec-14 19:14:57

What was that you all said - not before time?

rosequartz Tue 09-Dec-14 19:14:26

They used them as the model for the GN emoticons! smile keeping my mouth shut now.

Ana Tue 09-Dec-14 19:12:59

How do you know, petallus? Has rosequartz sent you a secret photo of them? tchgrin

petallus Tue 09-Dec-14 18:59:44

They are wonderful teeth aren't they? Gnashers even!

rosequartz Tue 09-Dec-14 18:57:16

I'm not offended, even though I am old.

Just wondering where I could shove my food next time I go to Waitrose. In my handbag for later, perhaps. Although these new teeth grin look mightily impressive for masticating. Better than the old ones.

petallus Tue 09-Dec-14 18:50:42

O.K. I admit it! I shouldn't have made the remark about old folk shoving food into their mouths. It was infair and I take it back. I wish I'd never said it. I apologise to anyone who is offended.

Ana Tue 09-Dec-14 18:46:59

I think granjura's reading things into perfectly innocuous posts!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Dec-14 18:46:50

And just what am I welcome too? And how does Christmas come into it?

No smiles! Will bugger off.

thatbags Tue 09-Dec-14 18:46:03

I go to Waitrose cafe if I need a coffee or something while I'm there anyway. It's good that it's free (it isn't really; they'll be making us pay somehow), but if I don't want refreshment while I'm there, I don't go to the cafe just "because it's free", and if cafe was full of people doing something so terrible as chewing distastefully...

No wonder breast feeding mums sometimes have such a hard time!! Talk about intolerance!

rosequartz Tue 09-Dec-14 18:41:03

I think some posts have got lost in translation.
tchsmile everyone.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Dec-14 18:38:08

tchhmm

I just don't understand why you are getting at me. I haven't said anything untoward to you!

rosequartz Tue 09-Dec-14 18:37:32

I could do with some new teeth. I quite like these tchgrin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Dec-14 18:37:06

And Waitrose don't supply any tomato ketchup for your fish and chips. Ridiculous!

Meat, sprouts and rich gravy sounds alright to me! Who manages to get through the afternoon on a croissant and coffee? (Except petallus
obviously) tchhmm

granjura Tue 09-Dec-14 18:33:50

You are welcome jingl, and a very merry Christmas to you too.

granjura Tue 09-Dec-14 18:32:35

petallus,most of us have and abhor bad eating manners- but the cultprits come in all shape and sizes, and all ages. I'd actually be much more prepared to make allowance for an older person who may not be able, for all sorts of reasons, to eat in a more discreet way, due to poorly fitted teeth, or whatever.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Dec-14 18:30:40

Granjur, I haven't a clue what you are talking about there. Further up/down the thread Grumppa said something to Rosequarze and *petallus thought it was said to her. Or it might have been the other way round.

On another thread I remarked on something Nonu posted, and yes my post was vague. You obviously thought it was aimed at you.

You know what, I don't give a shit what you think! You are barking totally up the wrong tree. Enjoy.

rosequartz Tue 09-Dec-14 18:26:49

Yes, satirical, that was the word I was looking for, getting confused. I have not seen it, only heard of it - it may have been discussed on one of those BBC arty programmes, I can't remember.
Perhaps I won't watch it then.

petallus Tue 09-Dec-14 18:22:39

Anyway, Waitrose was just one example.

petallus Tue 09-Dec-14 18:22:11

But it's free thatbags. That's probably why most of us go.

thatbags Tue 09-Dec-14 18:17:14

Simple solution, pet — don't eat at your Waitrose cafe. Might be more comfortable for you not to go there at all.

petallus Tue 09-Dec-14 18:13:15

Phantom explores the idea that eating is disgusting and should be done in private whereas going to be lavatory is a social event.

I took it to be satirical.

So it set me to thinking that actually eating could be seen as (mildly) disgusting under certain circumstances which may vary from person to person.

For me the Waitrose café is one of the least pleasing in my town. It is very busy, dirty crockery is piled on tables and the clientele are largely elderly which creates a certain ambience.

The other day I went in during the lunch hour for a coffee and croissant and there was a strong smell of meat, sprouts and rich gravy. I didn't particularly like it.

As for my ageist comment, yes I knew I wasn't being very PC but there you go. I'm old myself.

I can't possibly be the only one who has eaten opposite or near someone who has sloppy manners or drools or keeps their mouth open or whatever.

Ana Tue 09-Dec-14 18:09:05

My post was quite straightforward, granjura, I wasn't talking about vague or cryptic comments, just posts in response to someone else entirely being taken personally by another.

I think it would help if posters named the person they were replying to, as often several other posts have come up in between, IYSWIM...