Gransnet forums

News & politics

Teacher groomed by pupil

(48 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 15-Jan-15 07:54:25

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/14/former-london-teacher-convicted-over-affair-with-teenager

I am incandescent about this. There is no excuse for what this man did.

I don't care if she was troubled and needy or that she appeared to set her cap at him.

I don't care that the girl stalked him or that her friends said she told them she wanted him.

I don't care that he was in an emotional state because his wife was having pregnancy problems and ultimately a miscarriage. I'm sure it made his wife feel so much better about losing her child when she found out what he was doing whilst she was suffering.

At the end of the day he was the teacher and she was the pupil. All male teachers in secondary know that at some point in their career a young girl might have a crush on him and that she may be incredibly attractive but he has a responsibility. He is the adult and she is still a child. She may not look or act like a child but legally she is as far as he's concerned.

I'm not blind to the fact that sometimes the age difference between teacher and pupil is quite close (although it wasn't in this case) but the teacher has a duty of care. The law is quite clear and this man was wrong. Whatever we think of the girl she is the victim in this crime but the judge's comments suggest that the man was the victim.

How long before this becomes a standard excuse for men who can't keep their hands of young girls? This is the second case that I've heard of in the last few of years.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/13-year-old-seduced-pedophile-rules-uk-judge

Is this the tip of the iceberg?

I don't care how the girl behaves or how precocious/sexually active she is. The girl is a child. She needs help and support to modify her behaviour. She does not need some man to take advantage of her.

(This rant relates to women who seduce young boys too.)

loopylou Sun 18-Jan-15 14:14:37

I see in today's Telegraph that both a PE teacher and the school librarian both knew what was going on when giving evidence. Both admitted that they decided not to take it higher although they were aware of rumours. Seems they are culpable too?

janeainsworth Sun 18-Jan-15 10:01:26

Yes Ana, and I'm not sure that 'judging' can be quantified in quite the same way as other human activities.
But like Peter Cook, I'm sure that anyone wanting to become a judge is subject to the most careful scrutiny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofUZNynYXzM
Sorry to have trivialised the thread.
As you were wink

Ana Sat 17-Jan-15 19:07:17

I read that she's only been a judge for a year. Possibly not enough data for a scientific analysis of her sentencing habits!

Soutra Sat 17-Jan-15 19:06:35

It would be interesting to read comments -I believe we do have a number of members qualified to answer questions relating to legal procedures and indeed the legal profession.

soontobe Sat 17-Jan-15 19:02:15

I would like to read up about whether she is a judge that gives low sentences in general. Or to cases of men against women. Or whatever.

I am not sure if information like this about judges is in the public domain or not.

Perhaps a question to put on the legal board sometime.

soontobe Sat 17-Jan-15 18:59:45

I have had a bit more of a read. She is getting complaints, and getting reported to the attorney general for following up her remarks, by handing down a low sentence.
I assume she could give him a low sentence, so she did?

absent Sat 17-Jan-15 18:52:30

In this instance, I think it was the judge's comments that caused anger and disgust. There was similar outrage some years ago when a judge described a sexually abused minor as being "no angel".

soontobe Sat 17-Jan-15 18:46:57

That is one of the things that confuses me absent about sentencing.
If there are sentencing guidelines, then did this particular judge in this particular case give the lowest sentence she could? In which case, why the outcry? Or is the outcry against the system and not the judge> But I thought it was against the judge.

absent Sat 17-Jan-15 18:40:18

It is quite often the case that the public would prefer more draconian sentences for particularly horrendous offenders and there is an outcry about the leniency of the judge. However, judges have to follow sentencing guidelines and are not fully autonomous.

soontobe Sat 17-Jan-15 09:38:00

I didnt know that judge Briscoe was jailed.
I read her two books a while ago. They were interesting. I should have known from them that lawyers can become a judge. Though I dont remember if her second book got that far or not.

soontobe Sat 17-Jan-15 09:35:18

No judges in particular. But there are cases from time to time where the judge seems way out of step with the general public.
And then I would ideally like to research that particular judge. See if they are generally lenient, or whether they have biases, such as the way they have been brought up or political persuasions etc. [now wondering if I have spelt biases wrong, or whether there is such a word]!
[and I never know whether the ! should be inside a bracket or out!]

Penstemmon Fri 16-Jan-15 23:15:55

Oh now i have doubled a word! I will go to detention!

Penstemmon Fri 16-Jan-15 23:14:24

We all can learn something new everyday soon I know I do! Is there a particular judge (other than the one in this case) that you think is particularly lenient? There are some foolish ones ones

www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/judge-jailed-over-huhne-case-is-sacked/5042545.fullarticle

soontobe Fri 16-Jan-15 23:07:54

Nooo. I wouldnt dream of saying anything about anyones' proper spelling or grammar.

No, I mean the third word of your post. The word beginning with p.

Penstemmon Fri 16-Jan-15 23:05:06

Sorry soontobe I missed the s off as..my laptop keyboard is a bit dodgy!

soontobe Fri 16-Jan-15 23:01:59

Penstemmon, I cant help but notice a word that you have incorrectly spelt wink

soontobe Fri 16-Jan-15 23:00:28

I didnt know judges used to be lawyers. Wow, I learn something new every day. [It wont come as a surprise to some posters!]

I didnt really want just their career paths, but that is a start.
I am beginning to realise that judges hold a lot of power, so I want to look into them. I want, for instance, to see if some of them consistently make lighter sentences than others. And why. Sometimes it all looks a bit fishy.

Penstemmon Fri 16-Jan-15 22:55:09

Judges are pubic servants so often information about their career paths are easy to find. Judges are just people who trained as lawyers and eventually became judges. They are a fallible as anyone else!

soontobe Fri 16-Jan-15 22:36:51

Will do Ana.
Is information about all judges freely available, does anyone know?
I think we should all have at least some general information available about the judges.

Penstemmon Fri 16-Jan-15 21:44:48

Not acceptable for a teacher to have a relationship beyond professional with students/pupils. No circumstance justifies a sexual relationship, even if she had been older, even if she begged him. His course of action should have been to tell her clearly he could not reciprocate and report her 'crush' to a colleague senior staff member responsible for child protection and refuse to teach her/ have his timetable changed.

Ana Fri 16-Jan-15 20:43:10

Information about the judge is freely available if you google her, soontobe.

soontobe Fri 16-Jan-15 20:30:06

Awful. Even worse that the man was the vice-principal.

In cases like this, I always would like to know the background of the judge concerned. I suppose that information is not freely available?

In a few months time, a judge is going to be a neighbour [not the judge in the op] . That should be interesting. I dont suppose she will be chummy though.

loopylou Fri 16-Jan-15 20:24:11

Utterly unforgivable, total abuse of trust and abuse of his position as OP have said.
I feel so sorry for his wife.

FarNorth Fri 16-Jan-15 20:18:41

Children and young people are bound to try to copy the behaviour and attitudes they see in tv programmes and pop videos.
The teacher should have acted like an adult, not like a teenage boy.

Whether he gets a jail sentence or not, the comments about the girl's "grooming" of him should be publicly retracted.

trisher Fri 16-Jan-15 19:51:44

This is appalling. This ruling could set a legal precedent and see more teachers using this as an excuse for being involved with a pupil. Even if the girl was coming on to him, even if she was sexually experienced and promiscuous (which she wasn't) he should not have become involved with her. She must feel terrible. The judge should be made to publicly apologise to her. A teacher is in a special position and he has thoroughly abused this. Of course there are girls who will "come on" to male teachers. Teenagers are working out how to relate to the opposite sex and any sensible teacher will recognise this and take care to keep the relationship professional.