Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jordanian Pilot mudered by ISIS

(86 Posts)
POGS Tue 03-Feb-15 17:01:57

Can the evil b-----s be stopped from their depravity.

The Jordanian Pilot has been reportedly 'burnt alive' by ISIS. It is said there is video footage.

Are they thinking up ways to get more countries to retaliate to justify and recruit in their mad dog minds? We know they are murderous barbarians so maybe they are just enjoying their barbarity, who knows.

They are sick.

loopylou Tue 03-Feb-15 21:42:53

So unbelievably sick it reduced me to tears..... Just when the hell is the civilised world going to DO something?
The depth of depravity it seems they're prepared to sink to is beyond comprehension.
So utterly sad and sickening.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 03-Feb-15 21:45:41

this seems a good explanatory article soon

Elegran Tue 03-Feb-15 21:48:35

Try googling for yourself, sootobe I have just tried it and the first few on the page, at least, don't have any graphic pictures, just facts. This was at the top of the page -

qz.com/248787/a-short-political-history-of-the-barbaric-terrorists-who-call-themselves-the-islamic-state/

Elegran Tue 03-Feb-15 21:49:15

Crossed posts, Jings

Penstemmon Tue 03-Feb-15 21:50:00

If you use a range of media websites and read articles on line that might be a way to start; The Times, The Independent, The Guardian,The Express plus Al Jezeera or other international but established papers would begin to show you the complexity of these groups.

I know that nowadays there are a growing number of 'independent' Christian churches started by groups breaking away from the main church because of minor differences in doctrine/style of worship etc.

I suspect this happens in states of civil unrest and that is how you get growing numbers of 'independent' but similar armies/factions.

soontobe Tue 03-Feb-15 21:53:22

Thank you jingl.

It is one of those things where I even find the first few lines complicated.

"The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria".
I dont even understand what that means.

Never mind. I think it is one of those things which I will never really grasp.

I suppose my main question is
is ISIS rooted anywhere so they can be bombed in some way.
Horrid thing to write, but it is what I think needs to happen somehow.

soontobe Tue 03-Feb-15 21:58:11

Thank you Elegran too. I appreciate it. And Penstemmon.
I had googled wikipedia previously but couldnt understand that. I shall be braver and read some newspapers online about it. I think I thought that the problem would go away soon, but it doesnt look like it is going to so I am going to have to personally dig deep.

annodomini Tue 03-Feb-15 21:58:19

soon, read the quality press commentators on the Middle East. In my opinion, Robert Fisk of the Independent is the best in his field. I suggest that you Google such words as 'Caliphate' which is what these fanatics seek to establish with a view to eventual world domination.

loopylou Tue 03-Feb-15 22:02:05

It seems to me that they are funded by, armed and recruit from a number of countries/organisations so no single source or hub to focus on?
If GB, USA etc have had willing recruits join them then ISIS could have some form of 'prescence' in virtually every country......?
This is me surmising, with very limited knowledge.

soontobe Tue 03-Feb-15 22:04:59

The Elegran link is excellent.
I will have have a look at Robert Fisk and Caliphate.

vegasmags Tue 03-Feb-15 22:17:41

Soon - why is this thread turning out to be all about you?

Just listened to Jeremy Bowen, lucid as always, explaining why he thinks they are not capable of being defeated on the ground. They are certainly trying to win the war of information by posting ever more shocking material. Many Muslims are on Twitter, expressing their shock and outrage.

soontobe Tue 03-Feb-15 22:25:37

Didnt realise that it was vegas. People have be kind enough to post links and other ideas.

Anya Tue 03-Feb-15 22:47:32

I think Jeremy Bowen said 'as things stand at the moment'. He means the Arab nations are divided about how to act. They all have historic quarrels with each other...one example of this is the well equipped Turkish Army watching the ill-equipped Kurds fighting Isis for the city of Kobani. The Turks were only a couple of miles from the fighting but just stood and did nothing because of their historical disagreement with PPK.

Anya Tue 03-Feb-15 22:48:48

PKK

absent Wed 04-Feb-15 06:00:00

IS is barbaric, savage and brutal and their actions somehow seem more disgusting and stomach-churning because they are on video. But let us never forget, that human brutality has never known any bounds. Off the top of my head, I'll pick one: the 33-year (yes 33 years) civil war in Guatemala when up to 200,000 people were shot or slashed with machetes to death, mostly women and children and mostly Mayan. Women and girls were raped for hours on end before their lives ended. Babies and toddlers were also killed. Do we ever remember this now, although it only ended in 1996? Not really and so many other horrors have happened in the mean time. By the way – the perpetrators of this particular genocide were the Guatemalan army and affiliated paramilitary organisations.

absent Wed 04-Feb-15 06:16:43

Sajida al-Rishawi and Ziad-Karboli have been hanged and Jordan promises to hang more terrorists. Is this right and will it achieve anything other than heighten the tension?

POGS Wed 04-Feb-15 08:57:54

No.

I think the thought behind a lot of the ISIS video footage is now being said to be psychological warfare and trying to entice other countries to act against them as they believe this will cause tensions inside those countries and gain more recruits if they are attacked. It is saying we are untouchable. They won't care they have been hanged but will obviously use it for all it's worth.

I think both episodes have the potential to gain momentum in their favour in a twisted way. Jordan will have to make some tough decisions. There are some who did not want to join the coalition in the first place and will blame the King of Jordan. Others will want to dig their heels in and fight to destroy ISIS. Which ever way the fact is there are already demonstrations on both sides and the Muslim Brotherhood is said to be gaining momentum.

The Middle East is complicated enough but this is very serious and Lord knows how it will/can develop and very quickly too. All we can do is hope ISIS is getting pushed back in Iraq and the recruitment drops off but I'm not holding my breath as there are too many radical thinking groups such as the Muslim Brotherhood who have no intention of peace/compramise.

KatyK Wed 04-Feb-15 10:11:56

Monsters sad

Brendawymms Wed 04-Feb-15 10:35:34

Two wrong don't make a right but I can empathise with the feelings in Jordan today.
Within the prophets writing there is " the one burned is a martyr" IS should not be given any publicity and need to be starved of publicity and money.
It must be possible to discover their funding streams and cut them off.

nigglynellie Wed 04-Feb-15 10:51:37

I think if you really want to know chapter and verse about IS, then you are going to have to steel yourself for seeing gruesome details which are there for all to see. Frankly, as far as I'm concerned they have, along with Boco Haram, the Taliban, Al Qaeda, and other repressive, hideously cruel organizations, and in some cases governments, evolved because the rest of us have allowed it, in other words 'evil flourishing etc'. I think what we DO about them all is a much more urgent question than pondering about where they originated from!!

Anya Wed 04-Feb-15 11:06:51

I am morally against capital punishment. But part of me understands why Jordan has reacted this way.

Only time will tell if these hangings have any positive outcome.

soontobe Wed 04-Feb-15 11:10:58

But sometimes people need to know where they originated from or how they originated to know how to try and stop it. But as you say, having had only a brief read so far, I am not sure that that is relevant in this case?
You could be right about having to see it, but I dont think it is necessary for everyone to see it.

Atqui Wed 04-Feb-15 11:21:24

I agree soon. We don't need to see the gruesome footage, and after all that is what The terrorists want. The fewer hits their hideous videos get the better.

POGS Wed 04-Feb-15 11:57:19

You have to have some knowledge/understanding of a subject to be able to discuss/debate it surely. I would rather a poster admitted to limited knowledge than pretended to know it all. Besides you soon get found out if challenged to give evidence of your words.

ISIS is a bit of an enigma as to the truth of it's origins for my mind. For example they say Syria is a main purchaser of the oil supplies it has confiscated, is that true? Why would Syria deal with those who some believe ISIS formed out of the Syrian rebel force? Conflict of interest or what. Nobody has a full understanding who is backing who but there are good guesses.

What is amazing is how quickly ISIS has grown and became the most probable danger to the world there is. Russia must be eyeing this lot up and thereby hangs another tale because both are being cornered at the moment and God help us if it all kicks off big time.

TerriBull Wed 04-Feb-15 12:21:10

This is probably a really stupid statement from me who knows very little about censorship on the internet and the whole gamut of social media generally. I believe I read that China have at times blocked certain things. I am constantly staggered to read how such horrible videos are uploaded for all and sundry to view, why can't it be stopped. I don't know which social media was used for this latest piece of barbarity, I believe Facebook has been used before and I gather Twitter for verbal suggestions on how to kill this poor man. Why is it allowed? I just can't get my head round it, it's the stuff of nightmares. I'm naive the only videos I go looking for are cats doing daft things on Youtube, It seems some organisations are treated like sacred cows, insomuch as the freedom to post anything appears to be sacrosanct. I have also read that ISIS have a lot of computer geeks among their numbers and they are very adept as far as manipulating the effects of their propaganda. Surely it can't be beyond the West to block their awful material to hell with Facebook and the like surely they have a duty not to allow this to continue.