Gransnet forums

News & politics

OTT police officer?

(39 Posts)
grannyactivist Mon 09-Mar-15 23:25:52

A four year old was apparently threatened with having her cycle confiscated for riding her bike on the pavement.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-31805312

gillybob Wed 11-Mar-15 11:01:44

My first reaction to this headline was to laugh. Surely it can't be true. Can it? Was the PO really suggesting a four year old child on a tiny bike should negotiate the main road? Complete idiot. No wonder a lot of people are losing their respect for the police.

annodomini Wed 11-Mar-15 10:23:40

My GSs were allowed to cycle on pavements on the way home from school, with their mum walking behind. They had to stop at every second lamp post and wait for her to catch up and as it was a straight road, they could see any pedestrians. Nowadays their dad takes them out and they are very well trained in road riding.

GrannyTwice Wed 11-Mar-15 10:03:14

Unless they are taught that, they may turn into the entitled horrors described above

GrannyTwice Wed 11-Mar-15 10:02:21

I would go so far as to say that a very young child with stabilisers could ride on a wide pavement with an adult who taught her/ him to stop and make way for pedestrians.

ninathenana Wed 11-Mar-15 09:35:41

DD lives in a very quiet cul-de-sac where parking is a premium. I parked last week and DGS got out and sensibly went and stood on the pavement. Seconds later there was a screech of brakes as a boy of about 13 shot out of his drive and rode along the pavement and missed DGS by inches. DGS would have been safer in the road !

Adults and older children riding on pavements annoy me but I expect very young children to ride on the pavement.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 11-Mar-15 09:16:01

I nearly got knocked down by a bike yesterday - a bloody big one it was too. Ridden by a giant of a man. Why do men have to go so effin' fast?! confused shock

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 11-Mar-15 09:09:13

Grannytwice how fast do you reckon she was going on her little bike with her stabilisers? confused And I seem to remember bikes with stabilisers make one hell of a racket. I think you would have been ok. (unless she knew you and was aiming) smile

GrannyTwice Wed 11-Mar-15 09:03:37

Why should a pedestrian get out of the way for a cyclist - bell or no bell?

granjo39 Wed 11-Mar-15 08:57:21

During a pleasant stroll along the tow path of the Regents canal with DD and baby Gs a cyclist came up close behind me,scared me to death and I nearly ended up in the canal. I was very cross and remarked to DD that he should have rung his bell. DD replied that he DID ring his bell Mum.Oops.hmm I really must start wearing my hearing aid.

GrannyTwice Tue 10-Mar-15 23:55:25

Well we just know enough do we about her individual circumstances ? But either way, I really don't think that a small child's wish to ride her cycle should trump pedestrian rights to walk safely on the pavement.

ninathenana Tue 10-Mar-15 23:49:58

Grannytwice I sympathise with you but if she lived here, the nearest thing that could pass for a park is 10miles away (a field with two football pitches and a small playground ) No pathways let alone designated cycle paths.

GrannyTwice Tue 10-Mar-15 20:39:11

Well as someone with mobility problems, I've got a different take on this - how wide was the pavement? Did the little girl know to stop if there was a pedestrian on the pavement coming towards her? What did she do when she was coming up behind a pedestrian? I can't get out of the way of anyone on a cycle or scooter - they have to stop or get out of my way and that's exactly how it should be. Why can't she walk and use her bike in the park on a cycle path?

Crafting Tue 10-Mar-15 19:57:53

Where I live we are in constant danger of being run over by adult cyclists on the pavement. So many people do it I thought the law had changed. To go after a small child is ridiculous - concentrate on the adults.

Ana Tue 10-Mar-15 19:40:17

Ours has reports about crime etc. on the inner pages.

Ana Tue 10-Mar-15 19:32:51

Don't most local newspapers have that sort of thing on the front page? I don't think it's that unusual...confused

janerowena Tue 10-Mar-15 19:19:30

hildajenni No, there isn't any crime in Lincs. I used to live there. There is very little ANYTHING.

When we moved there from Kent, I bought a newspaper, the first week. I have never forgotten it. The front page was 'Horncastle school lollipop man may be made redundant'. We almost went into hysterics, we were laughing so much. The local paper we had read the previous week was about a young mum in a park having a needle held to her baby's face, and having to give up her handbag.

Iam64 Tue 10-Mar-15 18:02:45

On what we know so far, this sounds totally OTT. A police spokesman told radio 4 an investigation to identify the officer is under way.

I've no problem with children riding on the pavement. I understand why many adult cyclists don't feel safe on the road but I'm increasingly irritated by cyclists on off road footpaths, for example in our local woods and parks, who cycle at furious speeds, and don't use/or even have, a bell on their bikes. Bikes are not allowed on the footpaths around our reservoirs but use them. I'm live and let live, and don't object to cyclists using the foot paths, providing they show respect and patience around children, people and of course dogs. Dogs are allowed off lead, it's a fantastic walk but becoming unsafe because of cyclists.

Tegan Tue 10-Mar-15 12:20:14

I'm afraid I loathe children on scooters and am always having to move out of the way quickly to avoid my feet being ridden over. I don't see what it achieves, given that their mothers are at walking pace anyway [usually many yards behind them as the little dears career towards main roads etc.].

Anya Tue 10-Mar-15 12:13:18

Just read in today's paper that 'parents call in police to control their children'. Apparently parents are demanding that officers come to the house to deal with disruptive behaviour that they cannot, or will not, deal with themselves. One incident cited was a fight between two sisters over a remote control.

Do parents really not know that respect for 'authority' (theirs) starts at an early age or as these the same parents who think it's ok to tear round supermarkets on scooters?

TerriBull Tue 10-Mar-15 11:53:50

Small kids on scooters on pavements and paths with parental supervision, I agree, we need to put up with. Not so, careering around supermarkets, unacceptable! Doesn't happen very often, but I'm always amazed at parents who think it OK to let their children do this. Recently in my local Waitrose a manager stepped in and asked child not to ride scooter in store, much to the mother's amazement.

Anya Tue 10-Mar-15 11:39:19

I've no objections to some kids on scooters it's the little brats loves that are allowed to cleave a trail of destruction through crowded paths, while their mothers have a mobile glued to their ear, that I itch to shove off their scooters.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 10-Mar-15 10:50:11

Put up with

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 10-Mar-15 10:49:54

And scooters on paths are one of things we need to put up in this day and age. Every kid on a scooter probably means one less car choking up the roads.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 10-Mar-15 10:48:15

If I was knocked down by a bike, I would get up again, even if slightly damaged. A child cyclist run into by a car most likely wouldn't get up.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 10-Mar-15 10:45:29

This makes me really angry! Why do they have such idiotic people in the police force? He should be disciplined.

And they want children to exercise more! FFS!

soon 10. And then police should use their discretion. ie how busy the particular road is.