Gransnet forums

News & politics

Our national bird

(81 Posts)
louella Mon 16-Mar-15 11:06:54

I noticed this story in the papers today - my choice would be robin but I was interested in what others might think www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11474158/Robin-or-wren-Vote-for-our-national-bird.html

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-Jul-15 11:38:07

I think this cartoon just about sums it up:

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/picture/2015/jun/20/stephen-collins-on-the-robin-cartoon

My DGS1 is Robin, so we've saved this for him. grin

Ana Fri 12-Jun-15 22:27:17

Robins are thick and sticky? confused

Katek Fri 12-Jun-15 22:23:41

Oh bird.......thought they were looking for Shakespeare replacement for split second!

Nelliemoser Fri 12-Jun-15 20:40:14

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/11/british-national-bird-robin-murderous-bully

My sentiments exactly, they really are viscous little birds and drive off any smaller species.

mcem Fri 12-Jun-15 20:12:07

Or Plop the baby barn owl from Who's afraid of the Dark?

whitewave Fri 12-Jun-15 19:49:10

Apparently a lot of the children voted for the Barn Owl - Harry Potter influence.

annodomini Fri 12-Jun-15 19:15:21

There was a fledgeling robin hopping around under my bird feeder this afternoon - baby feathers and red breast - rather cute.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Jun-15 18:35:33

Perhaps I should put that on the getting old thread.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Jun-15 18:34:53

So did I. I'm glad the blackbird only came second. The ones round here make a right old racket. hmm (so loud!)

rosesarered Fri 12-Jun-15 13:41:19

I voted for the robin.

AshTree Fri 12-Jun-15 11:58:42

I would probably have voted for the robin, but I was disappointed that the humble sparrow didn't even get a mention sad.

annodomini Fri 12-Jun-15 11:06:52

I voted for the bluetit. There was always at least one on my bird feeder at the time.

henetha Fri 12-Jun-15 10:07:09

I voted for the Robin. Lots of countries have a national bird. I think it's nice that we now have one.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Jun-15 09:43:38

...And, it's the Robin. Because the kids voted for it. grin

jo1book Tue 24-Mar-15 14:29:43

I think The Swan. Classy but vicious. Would look good on emblems and represent a calm nation paddling furiously to survive on the nasty lake of life.

granjura Tue 24-Mar-15 12:38:43

Not sure if you are talking to me. Yes, I was surprised too, as they have a big garden with lots of hedges and trees and near the Downs. From the RSPB website:

Monitoring suggests a severe decline in the UK house sparrow population, recently estimated as dropping by 71 per cent between 1977 and 2008 with substantial declines in both rural and urban populations.

Anya Tue 24-Mar-15 12:35:27

Where's the smile Jen or are you being serious?

granjura Tue 24-Mar-15 12:23:37

We have 100s of sparrows here, both sorts (in the mountains on the Swiss/French border) and sil who lives in Guildford enjoys their noisy chatter when he visits- as he says they hardly ever see or hear an now- despite living right on the Downs.

CelticRose Tue 24-Mar-15 11:49:34

Boeing - with Rolls Royce aero turbines?

durhamjen Sun 22-Mar-15 23:59:50

No need to show off, Anya. I asked you which gull because you said seagulls.
Not enough room on the list for all those birds, most of which are not ubiquitous. It's Gadwall, by the way, not Gadwell.

Anya Sat 21-Mar-15 18:54:20

Yes!

whitewave Sat 21-Mar-15 18:30:47

sparrow

Anya Sat 21-Mar-15 16:34:58

Well the most common gull round here Jen is the erroneously name Black-Headed Gull, but when I lived on the coast there was Common Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Greater Black-Backed Gull and Herring Gull. I've also seen Kittiwake on the Farne Islands and other sea birds such as Puffin, Guillemot, Razorbill, Fulmar, Shag, Eider, Oyster Catcher, Artic Tern, Common Tern and Sandwich Tern.

On the salt marsh by my school we found Avocet, Black- tailed godwit, Lapwing, Pink-footed goose, Canadian goose, Wigeon, Sandpiper, Dunlin, Tufted Ducks, Pochard, Shovelers, Gadwell, Grebe, Ruddy duck and that big duck that flies to Heligoland whose name escapes me.

Living on the coast and teaching in a school which backed onto a salt marsh has left me with the thought that 'water' birds are quite adaptable as gulls round here (Midlands) don't care if it's fresh water and loads of the waders and ducks don't seem all that discerning either smile

durhamjen Sat 21-Mar-15 15:38:06

Anya, gulls are thought of as seabirds rather than water birds. Water birds are inland water, not coastal.
Anyway, which of the half dozen gulls are you thinking of?
It made an interesting lesson for my grandson. The puffin and the mute swan are two birds on the list which have been discounted by him, because puffins tend to congregate off shore and are not seen at all over the winter, and the mute swan is the Danish national bird. I said tend to with the puffin, because they are seen at Bempton Cliffs, which is very much onshore.

Anya Fri 20-Mar-15 22:41:00

Thanks Anno I know they seemed to be everywhere in NZ.